You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

14 hours ago, Chris said:

For me, it's not just the absolute sitters he's spaffing, like the one-on-one last night which not a single person thought he'd score. Or the free header he put wide at 1-1. And even the other one-on-one he completely fucked up and for Diaz to bail him out only to find he couldn't fucking stay onside again.

It's the fact he hardly ever buries the sniffs of chances he gets. There were about six of those last night. Top strikers make their living with those, you'd think of the whole lot he'd be able to find the net with one of them, right? All the tough chances can't go in, but one of them surely isn't too much to ask?

One goal for every ten shots (0.09 goals per shot, Dave's mate Maupay is 0.08), averaging 4.67 shots a game. More shots anyone else in the league. it's fucking pitiful. 

It's hard not to be over-the-top frustrated with him.

think ‘over the top’ sums the previous paragraphs in this post up quite nicely.

Absolutely he should be finishing the one on one Dubravka saves, and he has to get to the level where at least one of the other half chances or snapshots goes in. But as long as we stay behind him he will. People talk about ‘top striker’ but he wasn’t signed as that, and you don’t get one for that kind of money either. Look at Hjolund.

Look at Jesus who never even has any shots or ever looks likes scoring.

He has world class attributes in terms of his pace and movement, and his link play and awareness is improving immeasurably, as is his pressing. 
I bet he rattles them away in training, he’s just not yet got to the stage where it’s converting to matches, but it will. He’s never going to be harry kane deadly in terms of dead eyed finishing, but almost nooone in world football is. He will iron the finishing out I’m sure.
I was worrying about him a bit a couple of games away where he went quiet and wasn’t involved in chances. As long as he’s getting them and involved as much as he is I don’t worry as they will come.

3 minutes ago, etho said:

think ‘over the top’ sums the previous paragraphs in this post up quite nicely.

Absolutely he should be finishing the one on one Dubravka saves, and he has to get to the level where at least one of the other half chances or snapshots goes in. But as long as we stay behind him he will. People talk about ‘top striker’ but he wasn’t signed as that, and you don’t get one for that kind of money either. Look at Hjolund.

Look at Jesus who never even has any shots or ever looks likes scoring.

He has world class attributes in terms of his pace and movement, and his link play and awareness is improving immeasurably, as is his pressing. 
I bet he rattles them away in training, he’s just not yet got to the stage where it’s converting to matches, but it will. He’s never going to be harry kane deadly in terms of dead eyed finishing, but almost nooone in world football is. He will iron the finishing out I’m sure.
I was worrying about him a bit a couple of games away where he went quiet and wasn’t involved in chances. As long as he’s getting them and involved as much as he is I don’t worry as they will come.

He gets his name chanted every time he fluffs a chance. If we were any further behind him, we'd be in the middle of the Atlantic.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

So what’s the solution? Don’t support him or sing his name? He is involved all the time in goals we score, but he needs to score more himself of course, and he might go on to do just that. I think he will. Top of the league world problem. 

• Upvote 1

he is playing his part in a team,that is flying at the top of the league and is still in 3 cup competitions. 

I dont know if cliniciality(sp?) is something you can work on or if its instinct

I think think he brings a lot to that team.  

44 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If he’d have caught the goal Gakpo scored similar to the way Gakpo caught it, given the way it’s going for him, there is no way it would have trickled in! 

He might have blammed it in panic. 

I reckon when it finally does click for him he'll score a shed load. Just needs a xanax before he starts. Chill the fuck out.

7 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

He might have blammed it in panic. 

I reckon when it finally does click for him he'll score a shed load. Just needs a xanax before he starts. Chill the fuck out.

It’s a shame all the focus is on his goal scoring because it’s missing out his all round play has been really good, he’s still contributing assists and making chances in a fluent side. 

It's like listening to a load of battered wives talking about how it's not really their husbands fault, they knew he was hot headed when they married him, if only they supported him more he might be better, he just needs time to find himself, he's changing because the last few weeks he's bought us flowers and been more attentive, this time next year things will all be different...

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's like listening to a load of battered wives talking about how it's not really their husbands fault, they knew he was hot headed when they married him, if only they supported him more he might be better, he just needs time to find himself, he's changing because the last few weeks he's bought us flowers and been more attentive, this time next year things will all be different...

Ha ha. Obsessed. He’s good, I can’t say he’s great, we’re doing ok and hopefully will continue to do so. Nunez will keep contributing to our wins, losses and draws, like all  the others, and you’ll keep getting wound up if other reds like him. 

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

ah, the old Rafa syndrome

47 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Jesus fucking Christ. And you sound like the fella who came home to find Nunez fucking his wife. 

22 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Even by TLW standards, this is pretty demented. 

• Upvote 3