You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Airline Chaos/Cancelled Flights

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

What are the underlining causes here? Is it the airlines or the airports? I couldn't handle another summer stuck at home, if my flight is cancelled there will be carnage. 

Airlines and ground support companies laid off staff after furlough ended.  They either left the U.K. as it was designed to be unwelcome or got jobs in other industries.  

As there are security risks associated with working airside the lead time to getting a new employee in place is longer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I had two mornings available so I just walked the length of the place.  I started at Capitol Hill (and was amazed with the amount of tourists with MAGA hats on and not an ounce of shame) literally and walked towards the Lincoln Memorial which means you take in the Whitehouse, Washington Memorial, WW2 memorial, reflecting pool, Vietnam wall etc.  A longish walk, but good. I did the National History Museum which I think would be really good with kids if you have yours with you.  If not, then the Holocaust museum is sobering and worth it.

If you get the time then cross the bridge behind the Lincoln Memorial and walk up to Arlington cemetary.  I loved that. 

Cheers! No kids with us so we should be able to get round a good chunk of the place on foot/bike.

8 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Cheers! No kids with us so we should be able to get round a good chunk of the place on foot/bike.

Be careful where you take your bike, didn't someone on here nearly get shot on the outskirts of Washington? Said it was like The Wire.

Flew to Orlando a few years back, got delayed an hour due to someone smelling smoke and had to get the fire fella's on to give the all clear. Was all sound after that and the misses didn't fancy many of the snacks/food so I got double helpings all the way there. 

Hope that helps x

4 hours ago, Carradona said:

A colleague rented one of those electric scooters and said it was brilliant for getting around.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Be careful where you take your bike, didn't someone on here nearly get shot on the outskirts of Washington? Said it was like The Wire.

Sure getting shot is part of the American experience now.  Imagine going all the way there and not taking a bullet?  What a waste of a holiday that would be!

• Upvote 1

Just got back. Landed on time and through passport control to baggage collection in about 15 mins. Bags waiting on carousel by the time we arrived. There were hundreds of abandoned bags there so earlier in the day it looks like it’d been carnage. 

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This shit better be fixed when I go away in July or I'll be whining like a bitch.

From speaking to a stewardess it’s ok early in the morning and late at night but at peak times there just aren’t enough ground staff to deal with the volume.  

Have a couple of friends who have had their (separate) flights brought forward a day by easyJet which is pretty cheeky if you ask me. one of them was on a holiday in a group of six and had all sorts of issues trying to book a hotel for one night that wasn’t extortionate. The other was fuming at having to take another day off work.

One of them said they know of another couple who were also flying with easyJet only to have their departure moved from Manchester to Gatwick. 

if it’s any consolation the issues don’t seem to be restricted to the UK, I was in Copenhagen last weekend and it was chaotic for bag drop and security. People in the queues were kicking off all over the place. We were fine as we gave ourself plenty of time.

In Toronto they're holding people on the planes, releasing them 50 at a time to send them through customs and security.

They laid off all their staff during the covid down time and are having difficultly getting the system back up to full capacity, from what I've read. A lot of people who haven't flown in years and are a little unprepared for the process are clogging things up as well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

In Toronto they're holding people on the planes, releasing them 50 at a time to send them through customs and security.

They laid off all their staff during the covid down time and are having difficultly getting the system back up to full capacity, from what I've read. A lot of people who haven't flown in years and are a little unprepared for the process are clogging things up as well.

We definitely saw a lot of that at security. 

Do you have anything in your pocket?

No 

(Beep)

Oh yes, my keys

(Beep)

And my vape

(Beep)

oh my belt too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Went through a few airports last week and it was entertaining watching people desperately trying to gather their toiletries and stuff them into the little plastic bags they provide as we shuffled along in line.

Automation of luggage drop-off is another. Figuring out how to get that tag attached in a crowd of people is a challenge, even if you know what you're doing. 

On 07/06/2022 at 10:53, joeyk said:

I flew out of Dublin to Zagreb on Sunday night. Got there 3 hours before flight, no problems. Just had small cabin suitcase though. The queue for check in desks was huge though. 
Hot and sticky over here…

Hot and sticky like my balls. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Same times for me, next Monday from Glasgow. Fingers crossed it's not a complete and utter pain in the arse.

My Mrs flies out from Bristol on the 24th this month for a week in Switzerland. If she can't get there I'll be devastated.

• Upvote 2

On 07/06/2022 at 06:30, JohnnyH said:

Mind yourself there. Cork Airport have quietly been having pretty big queues at pinch points too recently and now recommend turning up to a minimum of 1.5 - 2 hours before weekend fights. 

The only airport untouched by all this is Shannon. Where I’ll be in about 3 hours. 

Took us all of 4 mins to get through security. I’m fuming.