You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Contactless begging

Chip Butty

9 hours ago, belarus said:

When I was living in Leeds I went to the shop near by at about 10pm, and I was fucking bladdered on the search for more ale and bifters.

There was a homeless guy there and I didn’t have any money, so offered to buy him some food and drink or whatever. I can’t remember how it went exactly, but due to being pissed I asked him if he wanted to come back to mine for a bath and a warm bed. Never seen someone shit themselves so much. He didn’t take me up on my offer of a potentially drugged sarnie and was cowering in a bus stop on the other side of the road when I came out. At the time I was thinking “ungrateful get”, but by the next morning I realised what a weirdo I must have looked. “Come back for a warm bath and a bed for the night mate”. Fuck sake.

I should have come out waving a bottle of chianti and doing Hannibal Lector noises.

Reynhard_Sinaga.jpg

8 hours ago, Elite said:

An electronic system where the cash can only be used for items that are not harmful such as alcohol, cigs, etc would be good in an ideal world and could only be used by the person who's card it is so they can't be swapped for drugs etc.

Almost like those gift shops at the arcades when you win tickets but obviously on a much larger scale which sells food, hygiene products, clothing, blankets, etc.

As already said though, the vast majority of homeless people have addictions, so would be open to abuse.

Well, in an ideal world drug addicts would be treated as patients rather than criminals and would be able to participate in society. 

10 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Trust an actual homeless with my bank details, next time I see them they're pushing a trolley of skol out of the Kwikky, no thanks.

Worse than that when the hack the payment and you turn up back at your house and find that they've stolen your identity and now its you on the street with no name or ID. 

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

I don't see why the suggestion housing benefit should be paid to the landlord renders a person a Nazi. Are you making this up? It should happen that way, but I think the government have been quite deliberate in ensuring it doesn't happen. Asked, they make the weak argument that people should take responsibility for their own money, but the reality is they know full well that a lot of the people they are talking about are ill-equipped to manage themselves and often have serious addictions and other problems.  I think they quite like the idea of being able to label them feckless wasters when the rent doesn't get paid, and don't give a shit about things like evictions as long as it saves them a few pennies in administration of the money and not having to split a person's benefit and send it to the person's account and the landlord's account.

I always,well me and the missus,chose to get our Housing Benefit paid directly to the landlord. The problem is that now there are fewer social houses,lower paying benefits and more unscrupulous private  landlords some claimants just genuinely don't trust the system. Benefits are so bad that people are having to choose which bills to pay and sometimes rent is one they don't.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, belarus said:

I take massive exception to that. I haven’t got a single tie to Manchester

He was the fella who used to get young men back to his flat in the. Or there Quarter then they would black out and he would bum them. Rico’s been trying to find it for ages 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He was the fella who used to get young men back to his flat in the. Or there Quarter then they would black out and he would bum them. Rico’s been trying to find it for ages 

It was a poor joke insinuating that I might be a murderous fiend of the brown star enjoying mindset, and that I would rather be seen that way than a manc. 

It’s ruined now anyway. Just leave it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Well, in an ideal world drug addicts would be treated as patients rather than criminals and would be able to participate in society. 

I don't know about you, but I would definitely vote for a political party that proposed that.

44 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I always,well me and the missus,chose to get our Housing Benefit paid directly to the landlord. The problem is that now there are fewer social houses,lower paying benefits and more unscrupulous private  landlords some claimants just genuinely don't trust the system. Benefits are so bad that people are having to choose which bills to pay and sometimes rent is one they don't.

The current benefits system is fucking disgrace.

22 hours ago, Poster said:

There’s a bloke outside the Morrison’s by me that sells the big issue, he rides a £2500 electric bike. I’ve no problem with that, but how does he charge it? 

The lack of cash doesn’t just affect beggars, it also impacts big issue sellers and those street performers in town.

Surely someone is working on a digital solution for the beggars. 

Maybe they can mime some money?