You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Brom (H) - Premier League - 27/12/2020 - 16:30

Bjornebye

Our first game against this lot in the PL was back in 2002/03. They'd just been promoted to the top flight for the first time since the 80s. Baros (who'd started the season in good goalscoring form) and Riise got the goals in a routine 2-0 win to maintain our unbeaten start to the season. The goals are here around the 3:28 mark.

Atomic Kitten topped the chart for 3 weeks in September 2002 with their cover of Blondie's 'The Tide is High'. I don't really like the Blondie song anyway, but this cover is a typically boring pop production.

The game against the Baggies at Anfield sees Fat Sam come to town to try and shut up shop once again. His teams rely on us having a bad day as well as referees being jobsworths and breaking the game up to deny us any momentum, in order to get something. If we overcome the possibility of that, we can ragdoll the fuck out of them, boing boing them out of town and send Fat Sam to wallow with his pint of wine and yard of gravy. Just be ruthless like against Palace.

• Upvote 1

Although Allardyce carries more than a whiff of a manager whose time has passed, I’m still a bit wary of facing one of his teams soon after he takes charge. We're a different proposition to any Liverpool side he’s faced in the past, of course, and should be capable of swatting them aside while resting a couple of players, but I’m not going to count my chickens until I see a bulldog chewing a wasp on the West Brom bench.

9 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Although Allardyce carries more than a whiff of a manager whose time has passed, I’m still a bit wary of facing one of his teams soon after he takes charge. We're a different proposition to any Liverpool side he’s faced in the past, of course, and should be capable of swatting them aside while resting a couple of players, but I’m not going to count my chickens until I see a bulldog chewing a wasp on the West Brom bench.

But you never count your chickens!

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But you never count your chickens!

I spent most of the 90s and 2000s going into seasons thinking title glory loomed against a declining Man Utd side, and we only started to recover when I abandoned all hope. I think my contributions this season to date show that the footballing apocalypse is behind me, but caution remains.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Thinking about it, will this game even happen? Eight days is a long time and given that Johnson is spooked enough by the COVID situation to concede that his Christmas plans were ridiculous, how long until football is again suspended and we have to think about awarding the title to the team on top of the pack?

I don't really see any reason why football can't continue behind closed doors.

36 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Thinking about it, will this game even happen? Eight days is a long time and given that Johnson is spooked enough by the COVID situation to concede that his Christmas plans were ridiculous, how long until football is again suspended and we have to think about awarding the title to the team on top of the pack?

Nah. The plebs need their distractions.

I don’t care who their manager is and how much of a spoiler he wants to be, if we can’t beat this fucking West Brom team at Anfield there’s every chance we'll cede the title to Crackle or Howling Mad Pep. They’re not very good, have won one game all season and have decided that the route to recovery runs through an ale-house manager whose career has been on a downward trajectory since 2007.