You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/20 at 08:59

5 hours ago, Mook said:

Elton John made some great stuff in the early/mid 70s but then so did Peter Gabriel after he left Genesis. I much prefer his voice too.

Mook knws.

5 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Elton John is just a poor mans Vic Reeves club singer.

But this could swing my vote. Still makes me howl.

Peter Gabriel was always boredom personified for me, I think the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ was the only thing he did I liked. Elton John on the other hand is just... honestly, how can you stand songs like Nikita or I'm Still Standing or that horrible duet he did or Candle In the Wind or... I'm sure Mook has a vinyl from 1972 or something which is an acceptable piece of blue-eyed soul or R&B or something, but I have never heard an Elton John song which didn't make me feel like I've suddenly developed a rash. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Peter Gabriel was always boredom personified for me, I think the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ was the only thing he did I liked. Elton John on the other hand is just... honestly, how can you stand songs like Nikita or I'm Still Standing or that horrible duet he did or Candle In the Wind or... I'm sure Mook has a vinyl from 1972 or something which is an acceptable piece of blue-eyed soul or R&B or something, but I have never heard an Elton John song which didn't make me feel like I've suddenly developed a rash. 

Hahahahaha 

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't have any Elton John albums. I've got Peter Gabriel's first two solo albums although a mate borrowed the debut about 14 years ago & I still haven't got it back.

*goes off to text mate

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

No really, how can you stand those songs?  I get Oasis and stuff like that but Elton is something your uncle would probably hide as a guilty pleasure.

You're talking about really shit Elton John stuff here though, his first few albums had some good songs on them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Listen to his early albums, they are very, very good.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Wha'?

He made half a dozen stone cold classic albums in the early '70s, none of them are particularly obscure and all of them are absolutely superb. Candle in the Wind was just a pleasant ballad on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and judging him by the other songs you mentioned is like saying Bowie was shite based on Blue Jean and Let's Dance (or Gabriel was shite based on Sledgehammer).

He did taper off big time in the late '70s and '80s, but then so did a number of other huge artists from the '70s when they started chasing the MTV bucks, including Gabriel himself.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Wha'?

He made half a dozen stone cold classic albums in the early '70s, none of them are particularly obscure and all of them are absolutely superb. Candle in the Wind was just a pleasant ballad on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and judging him by the other songs you mentioned is like saying Bowie was shite based on Blue Jean and Let's Dance (or Gabriel was shite based on Sledgehammer).

He did taper off big time in the late '70s and '80s, but then so did a number of other huge artists from the '70s when they started chasing the MTV bucks, including Gabriel himself.

I don't think I attempted a comprehensive evaluation of Elton John's opus, just that what I was exposed to was horrible, each and every time. Not exactly an incentive to go look for his early stuff, especially if this is not my kind of music (it couldn't be further from it actually). 

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think I attempted a comprehensive evaluation of Elton John's opus, just that what I was exposed to was horrible, each and every time. Not exactly an incentive to go look for his early stuff, especially if this is not my kind of music (it couldn't be further from it actually). 

Be that as it may your dismissal of a seismic artist with seemingly no knowledge of the work that made him so is shallow.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's very far from the sort of stuff I would generally listen to as well, but it's still exceptionally good. And it's not so much his early stuff as his most successful stuff- as someone else mentioned in another thread, by the mid-70s, 2% of all worldwide record sales was by him, he was likely outselling even Led Zeppelin at that time.

11 hours ago, SasaS said:

Out of curiosity, what is?