You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

0.08% (as of April 18th) of Stavanger have been diagnosed with it. 

Lets play the games in old peoples homes in Norway. 

0,14 of Norway population have tested positive for the virus, in Stavanger, the 4th biggest city and the 3rd biggest city region, we have 0,08 like you say.

Be smart, look to Stavanger, or in this case,listen to one of those in charge of Stavanger.

The precautions we put in place could easily be transferred to those involved in the PL and the players. 

How you «isolate» is key, set up a camp, test the players and staff, isolate the players and staff, play in empty stadiums, play at least two games each week, finish the season in a month.

It all about if you want it enough or not.

6 minutes ago, Code said:

0,14 of Norway population have tested positive for the virus, in Stavanger, the 4th biggest city and the 3rd biggest city region, we have 0,08 like you say.

Be smart, look to Stavanger, or in this case,listen to one of those in charge of Stavanger.

The precautions we put in place could easily be transferred to those involved in the PL and the players. 

How you «isolate» is key, set up a camp, test the players and staff, isolate the players and staff, play in empty stadiums, play at least two games each week, finish the season in a month.

I'd rather we tested front line NHS staff and social care workers to be honest.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Code said:

How is that anything to do with care homes? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How is that anything to do with care homes? 

128 positive cases in Stavanger, not a single one in the care homes. This is because we acted quickly, we closed down the possibility for visitors before the govermnent etc, etc.

The PL clubs have massive resources, it would be easy for them to make sure not any of their staff gets infected if they want to, but involves set up a club camp.

If someone gets sick have a own zone for the , foran and dirty Zinedine.

Stavanger only have 1 death from Corona, thats 0,51% of the deaths in Norway, we have 2,7% of the population though, our Numbers should have been higher than the population number though as we are one of the big cities where people live closer together.

Basically, we have done a lot of things right in my city.

1 minute ago, Code said:

128 positive cases in Stavanger, not a single one in the care homes. This is because we acted quickly, we closed down the possibility for visitors before the govermnent etc, etc.

The PL clubs have massive resources, it would be easy for them to make sure not any of their staff gets infected if they want to, but involves set up a club camp.

If someone gets sick have a own zone for the , foran and dirty Zinedine.

Stavanger only have 1 death from Corona, thats 0,51% of the deaths in Norway, we have 2,7% of the population though, our Numbers should have been higher than the population number though as we are one of the big cities where people live closer together.

Basically, we have done a lot of things right in my city.

source.gif

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Professional players in Norway have been temporarily laid off, according to a report from Reuters that cites the confirmation from the players’ union NISO in Norway.

They are all shite anyway, they should do something they know how to do instead of this football stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

The PL clubs have massive resources, it would be easy for them to make sure not any of their staff gets infected if they want to.

I wouldn’t argue against that. 

However it would mean overpaying for finite resources and taking them away from NHS staff and social care workers who have a far greater need for them. 

I’m not okay with that. I’m lucky with where I’m working now but I know far too many people, some very good friends, having to work without even basic PPE like gloves. 

I’d much rather next season was called off, we waited for all this shit to die down, recover from it and we continue this season next year with fans at games and we have the parade after lifting the title the players, manager, coaching staff and supporters deserve. 

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I wouldn’t argue against that. 

However it would mean overpaying for finite resources and taking them away from NHS staff and social care workers who have a far greater need for them. 

I’m not okay with that. I’m lucky with where I’m working now but I know far too many people, some very good friends, having to work without even basic PPE like gloves. 

I’d much rather next season was called off, we waited for all this shit to die down, recover from it and we continue this season next year with fans at games and we have the parade after lifting the title the players, manager, coaching staff and supporters deserve. 

I think people really downplay the effect football has for people’s mental health with such a take on it.

5 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think “Sporting merit” confirms it. What are the options on voiding it? Say they’ll just use last seasons finishing spots? That’s not meritorious, so UEFA would reject it. It’s done. We’re champions. 

22 hours ago, Code said:

Football could be back tomorrow if they wanted to, no risk at all.

The players get tested and isolate, then they play behind closed doors. 

Its as safe as it gets.

I don't think this is totally wrong, but it just wouldn't be a good look. 

10 hours ago, Code said:

How you «isolate» is key, set up a camp, test the players and staff and referees and physios and doctors and security and janitors and bus drivers and television crew and the myriad support staff in the 'camps' who will all be expected to adopt the same monastic lifestyle only they'd be on a monastic wage, isolate the players and staff and etc, play in empty stadiums, play at least two games each week, finish the season in a month.

But apart from that, how was the play. Mrs Lincoln?

12 hours ago, Code said:

You do realise you're just casually saying all footballers should be ok with not seeing their family for close to two months (when you also add the 14 days isolation required after the football is over) don't you?

While what you're saying is of course possible (Anything is, I suppose) it is really really really really not as simple as you suggest for the above consideration alone.  Someone tells me that because of my job I won't see my family for 2 months, then I'd laugh in their faces (while respecting social distancing).  Someone tells my I won't see them for 2 months because of feckin football?  I'd punch them in their fannys.

56 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

You do realise you're just casually saying all footballers should be ok with not seeing their family for close to two months (when you also add the 14 days isolation required after the football is over) don't you?

While what you're saying is of course possible (Anything is, I suppose) it is really really really really not as simple as you suggest for the above consideration alone.  Someone tells me that because of my job I won't see my family for 2 months, then I'd laugh in their faces (while respecting social distancing).  Someone tells my I won't see them for 2 months because of feckin football?  I'd punch them in their fannys.

If footballers are willing to play and make the sacrifices involved, they will. Otherwise, they won't. They weren't shy about leaking their justified dissatisfaction with the way clubs handled pay cuts/furloughing etc so I don't think they'll be staying quiet if they really don't want to proceed.

Public safety first of course, but I agree with Code that the return of football would have a colossal positive effect on people's outlook. In this regard, they'd be providing an important public service at a time when it's badly needed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

If footballers are willing to play and make the sacrifices involved, they will. Otherwise, they won't. They weren't shy about leaking their justified dissatisfaction with the way clubs handled pay cuts/furloughing etc so I don't think they'll be staying quiet if they really don't want to proceed.

Public safety first of course, but I agree with Code that the return of football would have a colossal positive effect on people's outlook. In this regard, they'd be providing an important public service at a time when it's badly needed.

I think you're missing the point of my post.  I fully agree with both your paragraphs, especially the second one as I think a return of football will be vital for giving people a chance to just switch off for 90 mins from the incessant worry and stress of this crisis.

What I'm saying is the casual way it was portrayed and that it is "easy" is far from the truth.  Even one footballer saying he won't isolate from his family for 2 months throws a huge spanner in the works.  I certainly wouldn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1