You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Vaccine passes are a way of returning to something approaching normality, avoiding either lockdowns or mass deaths.

I am extremely uncomfortable with gubmint legislation that is left to the private establishment to enforce, and pay to enforce.

No one is pulling another fella over for not wearing his seatbelt.

It would be incredibly problematic at every level.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am extremely uncomfortable with gubmint legislation that is left to the private establishment to enforce, and pay to enforce.

No one is pulling another fella over for not wearing his seatbelt.

It would be incredibly problematic at every level.

Pubs and bars already have to enforce the smoking ban, drug bans, age limits, etc. 

As long as there's a reliable way of proving your vaccination status (such as an app that works) then it needn't be a big problem for the private companies, because it's not that far removed from stuff they already do.

I don't think the infrastructure is up to the task, there's no way to scale the verification of the pass. They'll look at it, it may as well be a JPG. Mask guidance coming back in is fine, but would prefer it to be in the form of guidance. Generally these measures should be inherently time-limited, with the need for regular renewal, as otherwise there's nothing to stop these types of controls become normalised. 

Just a mess of guidance and messaging that has been pulled together to draw focus as much as protect people. It'll probably lead to more spread as there will be some significant protests coming up, you'd have thought.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Pubs and bars already have to enforce the smoking ban, drug bans, age limits, etc. 

As long as there's a reliable way of proving your vaccination status (such as an app that works) then it needn't be a big problem for the private companies, because it's not that far removed from stuff they already do.

I don't know man - even at a bar they never ID everyone to get in, only the younger looking folks.

What is a drug ban? Like you can't do drugs in the bar?

Anybody other than a bar and it is well out of what they do.

There will be confrontations at every single place multiple times a day. That is not what they already do.

We have the rules already down here.

You can't go into a restaurant or pub or non-essential shop without being vaccinated.  We've had a QR code check in App for a while (also has info on testing sites and stuff like that) that you are supposed to have been using for every building that you go into, for contact tracing purposes.

Your vaccination record is on the government health website, which you can then link to the check in app, and it has a little green tick on it to show you've been vaccinated.  Most places will ask to see the green tick when you go in there, some of them don't bother.  Presumably the cops could check on places not bothering, but haven't seen any reports of fines or anything like that.

I'm not sure how long it will be in place for, as we are only just barely trying to get back to normal, and some state borders are still closed to other states.  I have to get 3 tests to go and visit the in-laws in South Australia for Christmas at the moment.

There's been a bit of anti-mandate protest, but we are at 92% of over 12s vaccinated though, so very compliant population.  The other 8% have sold up and moved to Palestine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This reminds me of the debate around the smoking ban. People argued that it should be left to businesses to decide whether or not to ban smoking (ignoring the fact that it always had been). Just as pubs, etc, before the smoking ban were incentivised by market forces not to turn customers away - even if that meant putting the health of their non-smoking customers at risk - so places now are incentivised not to check anyone's vaccination status.

Market forces will not keep people safe. The pandemic, like seatbelts or the smoking ban, are a perfect example of governments needing to do what only governments can do.

Not everyone has to wear a seatbelt.

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I know they’ve done libertarian promotion before but they are long time donators to the Republicans Party. 

They are/have shaped it to their image.

Thats part of the plan.

They know they’ll never be able to be a third party, they tried once I believe, so they usurped the GOP.

So they fund courses, think tanks, policy forums to the tune of millions a pop to spread their ideology.

It one hand washing the other clean.

Fascinating study in utter cuntery.

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Has anyone actually used their NHS Covid pass for anything? I've just been trying to look at mine, but the app is being a bit of a nobhead (possibly because millions of people are checking it for the first time all at once).

I've managed to download it now. Just have to wait and see whether it's required for Saturday afternoon.

10 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Won't we have to wait a while for the Omnicrom data? 

It's existence hasn't even been known about for the five or six weeks we would need from the evolution of start of cases - hospitalisations - deaths. 

Or is that incorrect? 

Yes, to be definitive, but the numbers are looking very positive. 

I'd imagine before Christmas we can be definitive and that should at that stage lead to an about turn on restrictions. Whether this happens or not is another matter. 

Drakeford is announcing the results of his review today. As Tom Jones and Stereophonics cancelled yesterday, I presume they have been given some insight. I wonder if the wobbly wonder of Wales is going to close all the pubs again!?

11 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Say what you like, but to believe that means believing Chris Witty et al are also on the take. 

If that turns out to be true, then buy a gun to protect your home. 

Witty and sage wanted this from the start of last week when they met. The government told them to fuck off and no decision would be made till December 18th, which they reiterated publicly this weekend on all of the political shows. Sage met again early this week and said the same. Again no government reaction. The video came out from ITV and then they quickly throw out plan b. It's absolutely text book change the headlines. What do you want witty to do, "prime minister I know I've been telling you for over a week to implement plan b, but you told me not before December 18th. You can fuck off if you think I'm supporting you on Dec 8th"?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Yes, to be definitive, but the numbers are looking very positive. 

I'd imagine before Christmas we can be definitive and that should at that stage lead to an about turn on restrictions. Whether this happens or not is another matter. 

Drakeford is announcing the results of his review today. As Tom Jones and Stereophonics cancelled yesterday, I presume they have been given some insight. I wonder if the wobbly wonder of Wales is going to close all the pubs again!?

I'd imagine the concerts have been cancelled pre-emptively because they were one of the big events, like the atletico Madrid game, that shouldn't have gone ahead last year just before lockdown.

Not a good look if you get two gigs in a row that are super spreader events.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know man - even at a bar they never ID everyone to get in, only the younger looking folks.

What is a drug ban? Like you can't do drugs in the bar?

Anybody other than a bar and it is well out of what they do.

There will be confrontations at every single place multiple times a day. That is not what they already do.

Nah. I'm sure the enforcement will be a really slick operation...

Screenshot_2021-12-09-08-44-43-21_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've managed to download it now. Just have to wait and see whether it's required for Saturday afternoon.

I have had to show my Covid pass twice. Once to get into an event at the NEC in November & last Friday prior to entering my concert. In each event they barely looked at it, the code was not scanned & I just walked through.  

Whether they are taking more interest in it  now I don't know but for all intents and purposes my experience has been it's a waste of time.

Given that I could've been carrying the virus anyway all seems a bit of a pointless at present & a negative test within 12 hours of the event is probably better but that's a lot or work for all concerned I guess. That's this country right now though. Do the bare minimum to keep things going. 
If I have to show it again, so be it. I have no problem with this at all, however like most people I am getting rather tired of the whole situation and wish this thng would just fuck off. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boss said:

The Jews had choices. They could've left the country between 1933-1939 under the Haavara agreement which allowed them to emigrate to Palestine to flee persecution. If you had £1000 you could emigrate to Palestine under an immigrant investor program. 60,000 German Jews were resettled under this program. 

I’m late to this but this is complete nonsense and not far short of Holocaust denial. What about the 2.5 million Jews individually shot in Eastern Europe after 1940 ? Where were they meant to go and when were they given a choice ? This sort of statement has no place on a football forum, it’s vile shit. A new low for the GF.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1