You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stevie Wonder

Sugar Ape

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Got tickets to go and see him (and Lionel Richie) in Hyde park with the Mrs in July. Just been listening to Songs in the key of life then, blows me away every time I listen to it. Got to be one of the best albums of all time surely?

Going to ‘see’ him are you yeah. Oh right. Nice one. 

Anyone remember Ray Cokes on MTV Europe back in the day? Had a live show called Most Wanted. I'm pretty sure I remember Stevie Wonder having a miming malfunction on there, but can't find any footage of it. Very funny, but appears to have been buried by his people...

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Got tickets to go and see him (and Lionel Richie) in Hyde park with the Mrs in July. Just been listening to Songs in the key of life then, blows me away every time I listen to it. Got to be one of the best albums of all time surely?

That sounds a great gig, seen both live, Stevie wonder was like going to see a hero, Lionel Richie it was more yeah i like the commodores, but my favourite song was after he left, and he was cheesy as fuck in the 80’s.

both were awesome, but Lionel Richie really took the piss out of himself with all the hello stuff - both great showmen, awesome singers, and even the cheesey shit was good in an ironic nostalgic way.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly Stevie Wonder but Ray Charles related, black, blind piano player so pretty much the same. Anyway, a friend of a friend put a post on FB asking "anyone know a good driving instructor round here?" so I put hilariously put "Ray Charles School of Motoring is pretty good" The silly thick get then put, "sounds alright, is he any good, does he have a website?

Oh, how i laughed, I think I got 2 likes as well. Which was nice.

14 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

it absolutely is.  He's a genius.

33 minutes ago, Mook said:

Controversial opinion but I find it patchy.

The four or five albums leading up to it are all masterpieces in my opinion.

There are no non-patchy studio albums. But you're right.  He really did stuff no-one had done before.  Melodies and chord progressions that were not of this world at the time.  Complexity and simplicity in the same song - one of the fantastic things about Stevie Wonder's music is it's accessibility - music buffs/technicians and casual listeners alike can appreciate it.  And what a fantastic singer, and what a fantastic keyboardist, blues harp player and arranger.  One of the most talented musicians in history.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, stringvest said:

There are no non-patchy studio albums. But you're right.  He really did stuff no-one had done before.  Melodies and chord progressions that were not of this world at the time.  Complexity and simplicity in the same song - one of the fantastic things about Stevie Wonder's music is it's accessibility - music buffs/technicians and casual listeners alike can appreciate it.  And what a fantastic singer, and what a fantastic keyboardist, blues harp player and arranger.  One of the most talented musicians in history.

Aye, the word 'genius' gets thrown around a lot these days but there is no question that it applies to him.