You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

For the first 11, I think we need a central midfielder that is a goal threat who can take free kicks and shoot from range.  Let's go for Neves.

Also, De Ligt would be amazing.  I love Gomez but I don't think he is durable enough.

For the squad i think we need lb cover - probably Adam Lewis.  Worth a punt on Sessegnon?  Value must have dipped and has the potential to play two positions.

We also need someone better than Origi and Sturridge and someone better than Lallana and Shaq.  I love Shaq but Klopp doesn't so I can't see him staying.  I have a gut feeling about Goetze.

I am sure Mignolet will be upgraded.

Moreno and Lovren are the only 2 left that make me nervous.  Matip has been great so not worried about him anymore.  I think we need to keep the rest - we would be mad to get rid of Milner.

It looks like there will be a hell of a lot of outgoings and if we manage to get 6 in (2 starters, 4 squad) I think we would have an almost perfect squad.

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not sold at all on Adrian Rabiot. What does he do? He can run and cover but I don't see him create or score much at all. He'd been on insane wages and I'd want far more from any big money midfielder we might bring in. 

Neves still the one for me. 

The main problem with Neves is that he is nothing more than a good right foot. He's slow as fuck, which is an issue. He would bee eaten up at Liverpool, I think. Totally unsuitable for the type of work we need from a midfielder. 

• Upvote 2

I think the other 2 may have to do a bit of the work for an attacker such as Neves.  The ability to score free kicks and shoot from range would take the pressure off the front 3.

The Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum trio is full of energy and workrate but the results have been mostly poor when playing these 3 together.  We only need 2 workmanlike players now that VVD and Allison are behind them imo.

We need a midfielder who can score.  Imagine if the likes of Neves was on the end of the  chances our midfielders get. I think some of our games would have been less heart attack inducing and over quicker which would enable our forwards some breathing space and rest time.  Also, there is no guarantee our front 3 is going to be fit forever so I think we need a goal threat from midfield.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

I think the other 2 may have to do a bit of the work for an attacker such as Neves.  The ability to score free kicks and shoot from range would take the pressure off the front 3.

The Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum trio is full of energy and workrate but the results have been mostly poor when playing these 3 together.  We only need 2 workmanlike players now that VVD and Allison are behind them imo.

We need a midfielder who can score.  Imagine if the likes of Neves was on the end of the  chances our midfielders get. I think some of our games would have been less heart attack inducing and over quicker which would enable our forwards some breathing space and rest time.  Also, there is no guarantee our front 3 is going to be fit forever so I think we need a goal threat from midfield.

Neves wouldn't be on the end of the chances our midfielders get because he can't get around the field. Last season in the championship his only touches of the ball in the penalty area were penalties. This season I believe he has had 1 touch other than penalties.

26 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I don't think he's any slower than Hendo, Gini, Milner, Shaq, Lallana, but he offers far more creatively imo. He definitely offers far more than Rabiot does, based upon the albeit 7 or 8 times I've seen the French lad play. 

He's about the same as Lallana, who isn't good enough to get in the team much less as a midfielder, and a lot slower than Hendo, Gini and Shaq. He just doesn't have the engine. He'd be a disaster in my opinion and a waste of money.

As for Rabiot. I would say that Neves is a level below, but that would be wrong. He's about five levels below. I think we might disagree on this one, mate! 

Neves, good player, not for us. Given the sheer number of midfielders we have, and the fact that we will have Keita and Ox next season to provide the thrust, unless there's a hard working 'lock picker', the player we basically didn't directly replace when Coutinho left, I don't see us getting a midfielder.

I think a couple of months ago when we had a little wobble (2 draws) you might have levelled the lack of that kind of player, that City have at least 4 of, as our one weakness. But I think that argument has died down now.

I'd like an attacker to come in, either a Salah and mane cover, or a Firmino cover. But that's easier said than done.

I honestly don't think we'll buy alot, maybe a left full back and one other

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not sold at all on Adrian Rabiot. What does he do? He can run and cover but I don't see him create or score much at all.

One of the most valid criticisms of Henderson playing as the 6 I feel was that he struggles when pressed.  Struggles might be the wrong word, as he doesn't lose the ball really in terms of get disposed.  But he'll usually opted for two options - hit the ball long (into space) or play a simple pass to someone close which could put them under pressure.

I guess it is a reason why Fabinho is so popular amongst LFC fans to play as a the 6, as he is composed when pressed.  He can dribble, roll an opponent, feint and get out of these situations which can help give the side control of games more.  Rabiot is more of the Fabinho style (as is Gini when he plays as the 6 - now him & Henderson have swapped role maybe Rabiot off our radar, if he was even on it on the first place).

Watching Spurs & Ajax last night, I think both teams really struggled to have control of the game.  Ajax dominated the first 25 minutes, but that was because Poch got the tactics wrong.  But when Sissoko came on the pitch, both teams struggled to deal with the opposition pressing them.  Spurs massively have missed Demebel this season who would brilliant when pressed.  He'd beat the opposition press and that leads to control and opportunities for your team.

The more players you have, especially in midfield who are press resistant, then the more control, more opportunities you can create & better team you can become.  It is why I think eventually our team will outgrow Milner, Henderson (Emre Can was another) - players who aren't press resistant.  Players like Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Gini (even Lallana) are the ones who deal with this well.  Rabiot is someone who is brilliant at dealing with the press.  I'm not sure what happened with him at PSG, maybe his character is questionable.  But as a player, with his age & value - you'd have thought we'd be interested.  But with Gini & Fabinho two really good 6s, maybe the need for Rabiot has been reduced since Henderson is now playing more as an 8.  Having said that, you really want your 8s to be press resistant too.  But I can't see Klopp ditching Henderson, as much as Rabiot is probably an upgrade. Due to we need home grown players, his character, experience in the league, his leadership etc.

Here's a great article comparing Rabiot & Henderson as the 6:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2018/10/05/liverpool-must-sign-23-year-old-stats-show-deal-is-no-brainer/ 

But also look at this chart showing how good he is at progressing, be it through passing through the lines or dribbling. Absolutely off the scale in this regard.

Against the top teams dealing with the opposition press is vital. Rabiot is someone who excels at it & won't just play that safe pass as the 6, which a Henderson or Wijnaldum would do more often than not.  That's where I think he is an upgrade as a player. 

97ad9d1ddcd8959dcea67ecaef33006c.png

9 minutes ago, LF:D said:

One of the most valid criticisms of Henderson playing as the 6 I feel was that he struggles when pressed.  Struggles might be the wrong word, as he doesn't lose the ball really in terms of get disposed.  But he'll usually opted for two options - hit the ball long (into space) or play a simple pass to someone close which could put them under pressure.

I guess it is a reason why Fabinho is so popular amongst LFC fans to play as a the 6, as he is composed when pressed.  He can dribble, roll an opponent, feint and get out of these situations which can help give the side control of games more.  Rabiot is more of the Fabinho style (as is Gini when he plays as the 6 - now him & Henderson have swapped role maybe Rabiot off our radar, if he was even on it on the first place).

Watching Spurs & Ajax last night, I think both teams really struggled to have control of the game.  Ajax dominated the first 25 minutes, but that was because Poch got the tactics wrong.  But when Sissoko came on the pitch, both teams struggled to deal with the opposition pressing them.  Spurs massively have missed Demebel this season who would brilliant when pressed.  He'd beat the opposition press and that leads to control and opportunities for your team.

The more players you have, especially in midfield who are press resistant, then the more control, more opportunities you can create & better team you can become.  It is why I think eventually our team will outgrow Milner, Henderson (Emre Can was another) - players who aren't press resistant.  Players like Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Gini (even Lallana) are the ones who deal with this well.  Rabiot is someone who is brilliant at dealing with the press.  I'm not sure what happened with him at PSG, maybe his character is questionable.  But as a player, with his age & value - you'd have thought we'd be interested.  But with Gini & Fabinho two really good 6s, maybe the need for Rabiot has been reduced since Henderson is now playing more as an 8.  Having said that, you really want your 8s to be press resistant too.  But I can't see Klopp ditching Henderson, as much as Rabiot is probably an upgrade. Due to we need home grown players, his character, experience in the league, his leadership etc.

Here's a great article comparing Rabiot & Henderson as the 6:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2018/10/05/liverpool-must-sign-23-year-old-stats-show-deal-is-no-brainer/ 

But also look at this chart showing how good he is at progressing, be it through passing through the lines or dribbling. Absolutely off the scale in this regard.

Against the top teams dealing with the opposition press is vital. Rabiot is someone who excels at it & won't just play that safe pass as the 6, which a Henderson or Wijnaldum would do more often than not.  That's where I think he is an upgrade as a player. 

97ad9d1ddcd8959dcea67ecaef33006c.png

Fuck Rabiot, the smart money is on Hasebe based on that graph.

Rabiot has become quite overrated. He's the type of frustrating player who chooses when to be good and the rest of the time he doesn't really care. If he could get it together attitude wise he'd be a top player, but he isn't currently. Also, I doubt we could afford his wages, his mom is a twat and he only wants to play one position and has complained when PSG tried to make him a #6. Basically he's a dick.

Agree that Neves is slow. He's got quality but he'd cost an absolute fortune and I don't think he fits our team well.

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Rabiot has become quite overrated. He's the type of frustrating player who chooses when to be good and the rest of the time he doesn't really care. If he could get it together attitude wise he'd be a top player, but he isn't currently. Also, I doubt we could afford his wages, his mom is a twat and he only wants to play one position and has complained when PSG tried to make him a #6. Basically he's a dick.

Agree that Neves is slow. He's got quality but he'd cost an absolute fortune and I don't think he fits our team well.

Rabiot is the type of player that’s worth a punt if the manager thinks he’s worth it. A lot is made out of what goes on but it’s all much of ado about not much. 

He is very talented and needs help to take the step up. He has the ability to be one of the best midfielders of a generation and at 24 I think it’s worth a shot. He’s not like Balotelli or somebody like that. 

With Keita starting to look good and the Ox looking fully recovered, midfield isn't the biggest priority for me.  Even if both Lallana and Milner go, we've still got six players covering three positions. I'm far more worried at the lack of cover at full back and up front. 

Just now, aws said:

With Keita starting to look good and the Ox looking fully recovered, midfield isn't the biggest priority for me.  Even if both Lallana and Milner go, we've still got six players covering three positions. I'm far more worried at the lack of cover at full back and up front. 

Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo and.... Shaq?

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo and.... Shaq?

Yes. Plus there's a good chance that Trent will end up there regularly if we get another class full back in. So we do have cover there compared with three players covering two positions at full back and nothing at all up front.  

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He’s not like Balotelli or somebody like that. 

He kind of is, to be honest. His agent is a cunt, he has a shisha problem, he's a complainer and he publicly refused to be a reserve for the French team at the World Cup which has led to him being basically ostracized from the national team. his own boyhood club has basically sent him to the reserves when their squad has been absolutely ravaged by injury because he's acted like such a bell.

He has a real problem and not just off the pitch. Like I said, he is extremely inconsistent. If he's not careful, he will head down the Balotelli path.

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Rabiot is the type of player that’s worth a punt if the manager thinks he’s worth it. A lot is made out of what goes on but it’s all much of ado about not much. 

He is very talented and needs help to take the step up. He has the ability to be one of the best midfielders of a generation and at 24 I think it’s worth a shot. He’s not like Balotelli or somebody like that. 

Based on skills and talent I’m sure he’s good enough.

I believe however, that Klopp will only sign players that he thinks has the right attitude and personality. If Rabiot fits that description I’m sure he’ll be on our radar, and all sorts of other criteria will be taken into consideration.