You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a song 'about' a scouser. The only thing you sing about yourself is being a Liverpudlian. Which you are.

To be honest if you genuinely don't feel right singing it then you are a fucking whopper and I would rather you didn't. 

Silly question/conversation. I honestly thought you were taking the piss at first. 

You don't even sing about yourself being a Liverpudlian: that bit's a quote from dying Tommy's last words.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's nothing to do with IPR and it only applies to areas where cultural origins are beyond doubt.

As for the relationship between the dominant and oppressed culture, I can't think of a single example where it's anything but crystal clear: we are specifically talking about the legacies of colonialism, slavery and genocide.  There are no grey areas in those relationships.

I quoted from the definition you shared from Wikipedia.

Take American popular music for example, it draws heavily on the culture of African Americans, which themselves frequently borrow from the culture of European settlers surrounding them and combine it with their own African heritage, or their own interpretation of it. This American music is than exported to the rest of the world in the form of cultural imperialism, to parts of the world which have no direct relationship with the particular legacies of colonialism or slavery. Where does "cultural appropriation" begin here, what are the dominant - oppressed relationships here? The most common effect of the cultural appropriation theory in real life is an endless list of extremely stupid examples of what people interpret as cultural appropriation.

What are you crystal clear examples of cultural appropriation lacking any grey areas?

23 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Take American popular music for example, it draws heavily on the culture of African Americans, which themselves frequently borrow from the culture of European settlers surrounding them and combine it with their own African heritage, or their own interpretation of it. This American music is than exported to the rest of the world in the form of cultural imperialism, to parts of the world which have no direct relationship with the particular legacies of colonialism or slavery. Where does "cultural appropriation" begin here, what are the dominant - oppressed relationships here? The most common effect of the cultural appropriation theory in real life is an endless list of extremely stupid examples of what people interpret as cultural appropriation.

What are you crystal clear examples of cultural appropriation lacking any grey areas?

Music inspiring other musicians is not cultural appropriation.  (I actually found myself defending the execrable Miley Cyrus on this point.)

People selling head-dresses ripped off from Native American sacred ceremonial wear to white twats at festivals who think it looks cool would be a clear example of cultural appropriation. 

Don't get me wrong: I don't get hung up on this stuff.  I just think there's a danger of dismissing the whole concept as stupid if we only look at stupid things that should never be considered cultural appropriation in the first place. 

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Eminem putting our hip hop records isn’t cultural appropriation.

Miley putting out a few hip hop inspired records.. then fucking it off with the excuse that it had become to misogynistic, when she was probably as guilty as anyone in portraying that image, in my eyes is cultural appropriation at best, or brassneck capitalism at worst.

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Why is this character black? Santa Claus is white,I presume? But why is the helper black?

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Why is this character black? Santa Claus is white,I presume? But why is the helper black?

Well, it's a hotly disputed topic. One side assumes that Piet is a Moorish caricature (Sinterklaas arrives from Spain) and is actually Santa's little slave whereas the other side feebly mumbles something about him being dirty from falling down the chimney and stop trying to spoil the kids fun. Not sure how they explain the big red lips, curly afro hair, slave style earrings and Moorish dress. 

On 11/2/2018 at 8:15 PM, Kloppite said:

The police have a habit of using stop and search powers against blacks in the UK they presume that because they are black they are more likely to be involved in crime, isn't this stereotyping and as isn't this also racism?

On 11/2/2018 at 9:43 PM, Brownie said:

If they are buying into a stereotype that black people are more likely to be criminals than white people, then it’s stereotyping. If they think that black people are inherently more likely to be criminals because their race is somehow inferior, then it leaps into racism.

You’d really have to know the person to understand if it was one thing or the other. 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:36 PM, Brownie said:

The actual definition of racism explicitly mentions the bit about superiority of race. It’s not another form of racism at all, it is the very definition of it.

If a police officer bases a decision on racial stereotyping, then it falls under the definition of institutional racism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Institutional racism was defined by Sir William Macpherson in the 1999 Lawrence report (UK) as: "The collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people."

• 4 weeks later...