You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Large 2bn Arab Takeover Rejected

Ah, but you're not considering the world these people move in. If they only had a billion, and didn't have other people living in the best area, they could well do that. But you don't get any street cred from your fellow trillionaires for living in a worse part of town but having a nice house. You buy your Kensington Palace AND spend 800m on it. Then another 800m if you feel like it.

Fair do's.

I think money is the biggest factor, to be honest. Easily so. It's not the only thing and when you're in a market where you have lots of people close to matching your spending, it can be overridden by a number of other factors, but buying the best players and paying them, and being able to buy pretty much anything you want, is the big factor for City. Do you think, for example, that if City didn't have the investment but had the same backroom and boardroom staff, they'd be in the top 4? Nah, for me the reason for the obsession with money and ownership is clear: if we had more of it, we'd win loads more.

If money was the biggest factor Manchester United would not be in decline and the pre-Pep City would’ve been unbeatable. Given a certain level of spending, it’s what you do with it that’s crucial, rather just having more.

However, even if that’s not true (and I think Klopp’s proving it is), I still don’t want the shit that goes with the likes of City’s ownership.

• Upvote 1

I think money is the biggest factor, to be honest. Easily so. It's not the only thing and when you're in a market where you have lots of people close to matching your spending, it can be overridden by a number of other factors, but buying the best players and paying them, and being able to buy pretty much anything you want, is the big factor for City. Do you think, for example, that if City didn't have the investment but had the same backroom and boardroom staff, they'd be in the top 4? Nah, for me the reason for the obsession with money and ownership is clear: if we had more of it, we'd win loads more.

If City had Tixi, Pep and the same funding levels as us over the last 3 years they would probably be doing as well or slightly better than us. So top 4 for sure, perhaps with a league title.

Obviously the massive amounts of cash have given City the ability to be up there, but the red mancs have spent as much as them over the last 3 or 4 years and are miles behind.

So it’s a bit of both.

If we keep improving under Klopp for the next few years and win some big stuff we should be capable of bringing in enough revenue to not need to worry about anyone when it comes to investment in the team.

I think money is the biggest factor in enabling you to reach a level where you can realistically compete but after that other factors take over like good management, organization, commitment, appetite and luck. City may have oodles of cash but they can only field 11 players at a time.

If money was the biggest factor Manchester United would not be in decline and the pre-Pep City would’ve been unbeatable.

No, mate. That's not at all true. Manchester United, as you may have noticed, have done quite well over the longer term. They didn't buy this summer to any great extend and the manager has thrown a wobbly. Their decline, after finishing second to the club with and spending more money than them, isn't crumbling. They'll buy their way out of it and can attract big players for big money and big wages. All based on money. Then pre-Pep City, who went from a nothing club to a winning club because of financial investment, are operating in an environment where Chelsea had been spending for a long time. Chelsea won the league before that. How do you think City got Pep! I don't think he grew up dreaming of managing City. He went there because they're a financial powerhouse. He went there for a massive salary. He can win there, because he will be backed.

Of course other things matter, like I said, and between the clubs who have lots of money they can be factors that override them. But look at the difference between clubs that have money and clubs that don't have quite as much. It's so clear that the largest factor is money. The tables between biggest income, biggest expenditure, biggest wage bill, etc, all correlate there or there about. How many super rich clubs are floating between relegation. How many poor clubs are winning leagues regularly just because they're well run?

However, even if that’s not true (and I think Klopp’s proving it is), I still don’t want the shit that goes with the likes of City’s ownership.

Klopp isn't proving it is, though. He's just spent fuck loads - breaking records and outspending rivals but 100m - so we can compete. The other things, like good management and well run clubs is important but it scratches the surface of the importance of sustained investment.

Don't get me wrong, if you are adverse to City's style of ownership then more power to you. That's a totally valid view. But surely we're not going to deny the reason we are even talking about the likes of City in the first place.

I think money is the biggest factor in enabling you to reach a level where you can realistically compete but after that other factors take over like good management, organization, commitment, appetite and luck. City may have oodles of cash but they can only field 11 players at a time.

Rather than repeat myself to Numero, what aws says.

Yeah, doesn't address the points I made (which, to be fair, can't really be refuted), so there's not much I can do with that. I also agree with aws in principle. The major factor, easily, in those clubs being where they are is money. If they didn't have it, they couldn't well-run themselves into sustained competition with the ones that are spending over the long term. It's surely self evident. Money is clearly the overriding factor in where all these clubs are. the other factors are much smaller factors and only relevant after the major factor, the biggest factor, the by-far overriding factor of massive amounts of money are taken into account. It's only when you get close that you can start to bridge the small gaps with those things you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

The truth is that it's Pep that has made City almost unbeatable, not the fact they can spend on anybody. Before he came, they could still spend on anybody yet were inconsistent from season to season. Now they're building a dynasty.

Big money can get you in the conversation very quickly, but having competent people coaching and running the club - something we have - is by far more important.

I'll happily discuss things with people I respect or value the views of. You? Not so much. I think it's idiotic to suggest that money isn't the biggest factor. I think it's even more ridiculous to use the logic that after the biggest factor is taken out, it's not the biggest factor. Well, duh. I'd no more argue that with you than I would if you said we play in blue. It's a waste of my time.

I don't know why you're on your high horse. I've basically added to what Paul and aws have said in the thread and you were arsed enough to argue with them, but what I've said is retarded?

But sure, mate. You're way too good for this conversation. What a waste of your time, most of which you spend on here anyways.