You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rob Jones

Fowler1972

I was just having a discussion with myself over a coffee and ginger snap so thought I’d check in with you good people to settle a difference of opinion.

Rob Jones would make my all time Liverpool XI all day long v Poppycock, it’s obviously Phil Neal.

I’m old enough to have seen Phil Neal but couldn’t add anyone before him to the debate. How good was Chris Lawler? Steve Nicol was just too good in other positions, Marcus Babel didn’t play long enough. Carragher was better as a CB and Steve Finnan was just not quite at their level.

Who’s right! Me or Me?

I was just having a discussion with myself over a coffee and ginger snap so thought I’d check in with you good people to settle a difference of opinion.

Rob Jones would make my all time Liverpool XI all day long v Poppycock, it’s obviously Phil Neal.

I’m old enough to have seen Phil Neal but couldn’t add anyone before him to the debate. How good was Chris Lawler? Steve Nicol was just too good in other positions, Marcus Babel didn’t play long enough. Carragher was better as a CB and Steve Finnan was just not quite at their level.

Who’s right! Me or Me?

Chris Lawler was great. I think Neal eventually overtook him as the best scoring fullback although Chris did not take pens. I do not generally compare players from one era against another. They were great in their time and that is all you can ask.

• Upvote 1

Chris Lawler was great. I think Neal eventually overtook him as the best scoring fullback although Chris did not take pens. I do not generally compare players from one era against another. They were great in their time and that is all you can ask.

You don’t do comparisons, even over a ginger snap! What do you talk to yourself about?

Chris Lawler was a lovely guy, an excellent player and one of the earliest full backs to add an attacking element to their game , but I don't feel he was at Phil Neal's level. Rob Jones could possibly have proved better but for all of the injuries he was plagued with.

Neal for me.

( Talking about constantly-injured full backs , I really liked Veggie Heggem )