You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best decade for music?

1892-LFCWasBorn

Time to pick a decade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What's your choice?

Isn't this a bit pointless even if you discard personal age-related bias, different genres and styles have different heydays, 80s mainstream was insufferable, but the alternative independent rock thrived, when prog rock turned into stadium sympho rock masturbation in the second part of the 70s, you had punk and new wave thriving, 00s were the best if you discovered world music etc. Late 60s and early 70s were the period when pop and rock discovered so many new things, but if you were into skiffle, you'd hardly call it the great decade.

Isn't this a bit pointless even if you discard personal age-related bias, different genres and styles have different heydays, 80s mainstream was insufferable, but the alternative independent rock thrived, when prog rock turned into stadium sympho rock masturbation in the second part of the 70s, you had punk and new wave thriving, 00s were the best if you discovered world music etc. Late 60s and early 70s were the period when pop and rock discovered so many new things, but if you were into skiffle, you'd hardly call it the great decade.

The word "best" needs to be replaced with "favourite".

• Upvote 1

I've never understood why people are snotty about "mainstream" music.

Far from snotty ,i just think 90% of Top of the Pops type stuff was dreadful though there was some great songs that entered the charts now and again over the years. I've been in regression lately listening to Resurrection Shuffle, Devils Answer and some TRex which too are good. Though i do agree favourite should replace best, it could be anything anytime really.

Far from snotty ,i just think 90% of Top of the Pops type stuff was dreadful though there was some great songs that entered the charts now and again over the years. I've been in regression lately listening to Resurrection Shuffle, Devils Answer and some TRex which too are good. Though i do agree favourite should replace best, it could be anything anytime really.

Early to mid 80's Top of the pops were ace
  • Upvote 1

The 80s was terrible. Lot of 60s stuff is very good. Voted for 90s myself as I'm from that generation. The first 3 or 4 years of the 00s were good. Then we got x factor and Ipods, forget it.

The 80's was terrible and you voted for the 90's. Personal taste obviously. The 80's was far far better than the 90's.

• Upvote 1

The 80's started with the last gasps of Disco, the Two Tone/Ska Revival, Synth and Rap, New Romantics, Stadium rock/pop, Hip Hop, and the beginning of House. To name but a few. I like most types of music and respect bands I may not personally like but I appreciate their talent and in some cases genius.

Only a few acts can truly be called shite, Manufactured crap like Steps etc etc. Someone on here once said two of my favourite bands were shite, The Eagles and Simple Minds. Shite ? No, not to your personal taste, but shite ? Skilled songwriters and musicians with biggest selling live albums amongst their credits and 10's of millions of album sales.

Saw Simple Minds in the Philharmonic in May, Their Acoustic Tour, fucking unbelievable, goosebumps stuff. Lucky enough to have seen so many great acts live and love my music. Personal taste with the very odd exception is what it's all about. What gets your heart pumping or your brain thinking or you feet moving is what counts. Peace.

• Upvote 4

The 80's started with the last gasps of Disco, the Two Tone/Ska Revival, Synth and Rap, New Romantics, Stadium rock/pop, Hip Hop, and the beginning of House. To name but a few. I like most types of music and respect bands I may not personally like but I appreciate their talent and in some cases genius.

Only a few acts can truly be called shite, Manufactured crap like Steps etc etc. Someone on here once said two of my favourite bands were shite, The Eagles and Simple Minds. Shite ? No, not to your personal taste, but shite ? Skilled songwriters and musicians with biggest selling live albums amongst their credits and 10's of millions of album sales.

Saw Simple Minds in the Philharmonic in May, Their Acoustic Tour, fucking unbelievable, goosebumps stuff. Lucky enough to have seen so many great acts live and love my music. Personal taste with the very odd exception is what it's all about. What gets your heart pumping or your brain thinking or you feet moving is what counts. Peace.

Brilliant post

The Eagles and Simple Minds. Shite ? .

Anyone saying the Eagles are shite needs their head examined. Might not be your thing but they were a fucking great band.

I love the live unplugged Hotel California but can get why people things its a overplayed song.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone saying the Eagles are shite needs their head examined. Might not be your thing but they were a fucking great band.

I love the live unplugged Hotel California but can get why people things its a overplayed song.

Similar to Don't You and Simple Minds which would struggle to get in my top 20 of their songs. Seen the Eagles live a few times and was lucky enough to see them in Liverpool when they added a date a few years ago. Them in my home city, unbelievable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My point made perfectly. Hotel California is apparently the Eagles only song.

Sometimes people do something that’s so hideous and repulsive to humanity that nothing else that they ever do can possibly redeem them. Your argument is akin to saying that Harold Shipman was a good doctor to the patients that he didn’t murder

• Upvote 1

Sometimes people do something that’s so hideous and repulsive to humanity that nothing else that they ever do can possibly redeem them. Your argument is akin to saying that Harold Shipman was a good doctor to the patients that he didn’t murder

Hahaha ok mate, not my favourite song by a long chalk. You seem seriously unsettled by it. Talk to the collective ? You can check out any time you like.