You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

I find the intense hatred for FSG absolutely baffling.

There is a large segment of our fans, not a majority but not that far from it, that simply seek to find a way to blame them for everything.  Klopp comes out and says he doesn't want to buy players?  He must be lying, covering for them not giving him a budget.  We show a profit on the summer transfer window?  It must be because they're milking the club dry, never mind that our manager has never spent big money on players anywhere he's ever been (and the fact that we're second in the league despite making money in the transfer window).

Klopp is nobody's stooge.  He is not saying he doesn't see transfers as the answer because he secretly wants to bid for Dybala and is being stymied by the moneymen.  He simply believes that chemistry, tactics and training are genuinely better for the team than getting the flavour-of-the-month in for twelvety billion pounds.  He has a long-term perspective, looking at such details as blocking progress for promising youngsters, that he believes suits the club better than short-term "solutions" that cause as many problems as they solve.

And looking at his record through his career, you'd be a fool to argue that point with him.

I think "hatred" is overstating the point.

However, I really dislike FSG.

1) Even as a state-capitalist, I don't think the way they made their fortune is okay.

2) As I see it, they have very little interest in us winning things.

3) As I see it, they have other priorities that contradict us winning things, and they pursue them.

4) I think they ran an unusually adept PR campaign to pacify our fan base, as to their intentions, at a point we may have had the strength to have some fan ownership.

5) I personally dislike Tom Werner.

6) I personally dislike John Henry.

That's a bit harsh. They didn't have any legs left in that 2nd half and it showed. Too many games meant they were mentally and physically shattered.

Could easily happen again given how small our squad is.

Not having that, mate.

We didn't have a game that mattered, for a month, before the final.

I don't remember where we finished in the league, and West Ham knocked us out of the FA Cup. A trophy and a champions league place was on the line against Sevilla, and these did what they always do under real pressure - they bottled it, again.

• Upvote 1

is it? I don't think it is harsh at all, they collapsed as soon as Seville scored. The lads that where in Istanbul were more tired. Time and time again some of these players have gone missing when it really mattered for me...

Precisely.

Liverpool conceded the equaliser less than a minute into the second half. As the game progresssed it was only a matter of time before they scored a second, and then a third. Also, Klopp waited too long before making changes.

Being tired in a cup final is essentially being mentally weak. They had basically 6 weeks off playing only in the semi finals and final, a completely different team played the league games. The 2005 team like Kosma had said would have physically been more tired but their mental strength pulled them through. That's the difference between very good players and the elite.

The mental aspect of the game is largely overlooked in this country, apart from the obvious god given talented players most other premier league players are, ability wise, the same level it's then the mental things like eating correctly and being disciplined every single day that elevates them above the rest. Thomas Muller isn't fast, strong, technically that good but he works extremely hard and knows where to be at the right time, over here he'd be fucked off when he was 16 for not having any outstanding qualities. Cristiano Ronaldo is the same, some would argue that Queresma was a lot better than him at a similar age, the difference being Ronaldo wanted to become the best in the world and has worked tirelessly to become that, whist Queresma was being acting like a gangsta getting face tattoos, Ronaldo was in the gym.

My point being that we need more players who have that winning attitude and don't let leafs slip.

• Upvote 1

While it's disappointing we haven't signed anyone, we are in or the right players and need to be patient. Draxler would have improved us now, and also for the long haul. Pulisic and Brandt would add depth now, and as such would improve the squad and help freshen things up for the long season, and it's a shame we can't land either one.

Hopefully we'll be back in the summer. In the meantime, are there other players we can buy who can improve us? Is Promes good enough? And if we can't buy the ones we want, would a loan for an out of favour attacker somewhere make sense? It could be a loan with a view to buy, if we think they might offer something long term. Or it could put them in the shop window for their club to sell in summer, if they aren't playing now.

What loan players might come and be good enough to help us?

What makes you so optimistic, Moof? Without Mané we are going to struggle in our next few games. Could be out of the title race by the time he comes back.

I'm not overly optimistic, I'm well aware of what could happen. I just don't shit the bed after one loss and throw in the towel. I expect us to win every game, and when we lose I'm very good at rationalising. But I still expect us to win the next game. Even if it's against the mighty Manchester United.

• Upvote 1