You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

In other news....

Chelsea striker Diego Costa's future has been thrown into doubt after a furious row with Antonio Conte over his fitness.

The Spain forward has not travelled with the Premier League leaders for Saturday night's match against champions Leicester. And the clash with manager Conte could now see him leave Stamford Bridge.

Costa, 28, believes he is suffering from a lower back problem, which could be linked to his history of hamstring injuries.

He wanted to rest this week but Chelsea expected him to train as part of Conte's strict fitness regime.

This sparked a series of blazing arguments, as exclusively revealed by MailOnline, with Conte backing his medical team and leaving Costa flabbergasted.

Sportsmail understands representatives of Costa are in China. Oscar and John Mikel Obi have already quit Chelsea for mega-money deals there in recent weeks.

The disagreement has led to a rift between Costa, Conte and the Chelsea physios. The striker does not agree with their methods and has pointed to his impressive record this season, when he has scored 14 league goals.

Chelsea had planned to offer Costa a new contract but that is now in significant doubt, although the forward is prone to such fallings-out and the club hope the matter can be resolved.

Chelsea medical staff have been cautious with Costa, taking extra precautions this season to ensure his hamstring issues do not flare up.

Costa has responded by being Chelsea's most influential player, but the issue could now wreck the club's push for the title.

And Sky Italia reported on Friday that Conte had shouted at Costa, 'Go to China', during their heated exchange. As news broke of the row, Costa uploaded a picture of him scoring against Tottenham on Instagram, with the caption: 'Come on Chelsea!!!'

Conte remains unconvinced by Costa's £33m understudy Michy Batshuayi and is in the market for a striker this month, with Swansea's Fernando Llorente a target.

The issue with Costa could see him step up his search.

Liverpool legend and Sky pundit Graeme Souness insisted that Chelsea must find a solution to get Costa back onside, or risk throwing away the title.

He said: 'You have to sit down with him and you have to find common ground. You cannot have him sit there and not play for the rest of the season. West Ham are talking about that with Dimitri Payet but I don't think Chelsea can afford to do that.

'If I was Conte I would be saying, "We've got to resolve this, we've got to get him back playing like he has been for the previous six months".

'They'd be losing their biggest threat. He gets them goals — that's the hardest thing in football. He's a warrior and he makes people play. He is the biggest loss Chelsea could have . . . they cannot afford that.

'I would imagine that the owner (Roman Abramovich) will be up for a fight. He'll be saying to Costa, "You're staying here, you're going nowhere".'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4118098/Chelsea-news-Diego-Costa-blazing-row-Chelsea-boss-Antonio-Conte-fitness-hitman-doesn-t-travel-clash-against-Leicester.html#ixzz4Vgh4wSXF

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If Costa keeps playing up, Chelsea can sign either Starbucks or Nero and get back on track. The China in Nero is more brittle, as evidenced by recent events when a Barista dropped a tray and all the cups and mugs smashed with lots of loud noises.

Liverpool will be left chasing High Street minnows Coffee Republic.

Haha. As unoriginal as ever.

It was clever trying to cover your tracks but your literacy let you down.

So, you suggest the owner told him to say that thereby insinuating he's not telling the truth in the article. Then you confuse yourself by saying 'it's on him.'

So no need for an FSG speechwriter and no need to imagine the owners told him to say owt.

You've completely misread that, jimbo.

I find the intense hatred for FSG absolutely baffling.

There is a large segment of our fans, not a majority but not that far from it, that simply seek to find a way to blame them for everything.  Klopp comes out and says he doesn't want to buy players?  He must be lying, covering for them not giving him a budget.  We show a profit on the summer transfer window?  It must be because they're milking the club dry, never mind that our manager has never spent big money on players anywhere he's ever been (and the fact that we're second in the league despite making money in the transfer window).

Klopp is nobody's stooge.  He is not saying he doesn't see transfers as the answer because he secretly wants to bid for Dybala and is being stymied by the moneymen.  He simply believes that chemistry, tactics and training are genuinely better for the team than getting the flavour-of-the-month in for twelvety billion pounds.  He has a long-term perspective, looking at such details as blocking progress for promising youngsters, that he believes suits the club better than short-term "solutions" that cause as many problems as they solve.

And looking at his record through his career, you'd be a fool to argue that point with him.

• Upvote 5

There is a large segment of our fans, not a majority but not that far from it, that simply seek to find a way to blame them for everything. Klopp comes out and says he doesn't want to buy players? He must be lying, covering for them not giving him a budget. We show a profit on the summer transfer window? It must be because they're milking the club dry, never mind that our manager has never spent big money on players anywhere he's ever been (and the fact that we're second in the league despite making money in the transfer window).

Klopp is nobody's stooge. He is not saying he doesn't see transfers as the answer because he secretly wants to bid for Dybala and is being stymied by the moneymen. He simply believes that chemistry, tactics and training are genuinely better for the team than getting the flavour-of-the-month in for twelvety billion pounds. He has a long-term perspective, looking at such details as blocking progress for promising youngsters, that he believes suits the club better than short-term "solutions" that cause as many problems as they solve.

And looking at his record through his career, you'd be a fool to argue that point with him.

I think it's more of a hope, that Klopp isn't that errmmm... stupid. The squad isn't good enough to win the league. Not with our goalkeepers, and set of centre mids.

I really do not get this Heaton love in

Of course he looks good he is always busy,Mignolet looked good at Sunderland as they were shite too

He's a competent goalkeeper. Both our goalkeepers are rubbish. I doubt we can get any world class goalie in this month. Getting Heaton in now would be the pragmatic move, as we try to take advantage of our good start to the season.

He's a competent goalkeeper. Both our goalkeepers are rubbish. I doubt we can get any world class goalie in this month. Getting Heaton in now would be the pragmatic move, as we try to take advantage of our good start to the season.

If I was peppered with shots for a full 90 I'd make quite a few saves as well. He's shite.

Our goalies barely save half the shots they face.

And Im reluctant to sign a 30 year old journeyman goalie that has never piqued the interest of any upper mid table side, let alone a top side.

He's doing incredibly well this season, but that form will not keep up. Guaranteed. We saw the same with Mignolet when we signed him. Playing for Liverpool is not the same as playing for Burnley.

And Im reluctant to sign a 30 year old journeyman goalie that has never piqued the interest of any upper mid table side, let alone a top side.

He's doing incredibly well this season, but that form will not keep up. Guaranteed. We saw the same with Mignolet when we signed him. Playing for Liverpool is not the same as playing for Burnley.

We don't need him to be amazing, we just need him to be competent; to stop shots he's expected to, to successfully claim some crosses every now and again. Your prediction that his form would drop as soon as he signs for us isn't more true than my hope that he would keep it up. I don't really watch much European football in the past couple of years (just some CL games and the odd Bundesliga game here and there). Maybe there are some goalkeepers as good as or better than Heaton that we could get for cheap, but I don't know them.

Do Burnley play out from the back?

A whole thread dedicated to the January 2017 transfer window. It is likely to go the way as these people...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and of course transfer deadline day will probably look something like this...

giphy.gif

I think it's more of a hope, that Klopp isn't that errmmm... stupid. The squad isn't good enough to win the league. Not with our goalkeepers, and set of centre mids.

Was Leicester's squad last season "good enough to win the league"?

I think the squad is good enough to have a chance at it, but probably not to be favoured.  No one, no matter how much they spend, can guarantee that a team will win the league.  It's just not possible.

But more to the point, I think even where we are now is ahead of schedule.  Klopp's obviously looking long-term with his transfer business.  The only older player he's brought in is a backup centre back, all the others have been younger (with the idea being that they get better as they develop into their prime).

So yes, the squad is not the best in the league right now, with clear weaknesses as you note at goalkeeper and centre mid.  But it could be in a year, or maybe two.  Coutinho/Firmino/Mane is a forward line that can win the league, and they're all 24.  I think Klopp will look to buy starters at centre back, centre mid and left back next summer and hope that Karius develops.  And if he succeeds with 2 out of the 3, then I think our squad will be good enough to win the league.

A signing or two now in those positions might be enough to improve our odds of the title from about 20% to maybe 25% if it worked out perfectly, but there's just no way we're going to sign someone who suddenly makes us favourites for the title.  Knowing that, it makes very good sense to wait it out, finish second or third, and then keep plugging away at the problems next summer (assuming all our summer targets are out of reach in January, obviously if one of them becomes available then the calculus changes).

• Upvote 1

I doubt finishing second or third increases our chances of winning the title next season, possibly quite the opposite.

It's probably better to finish sixth and avoid European football altogether next season. Which would hopefully set some alarm bells ringing regarding the quality of the squad as well.

We don't need him to be amazing, we just need him to be competent; to stop shots he's expected to, to successfully claim some crosses every now and again. Your prediction that his form would drop as soon as he signs for us isn't more true than my hope that he would keep it up. I don't really watch much European football in the past couple of years (just some CL games and the odd Bundesliga game here and there). Maybe there are some goalkeepers as good as or better than Heaton that we could get for cheap, but I don't know them.

I disagree completely. We do need anyone between the posts to be amazing. If we upgrade from poor to mediocre, then chances are that we are going to be stuck with a mediocre player for quite a while. This would make upgrading to good very difficult as we'll be stuck with a mid table player, on high wages, who we've paid a crapload for that no one will want or say that they can afford.

It was that thinking that got us saddled with Hodgson, and all the dross that weve bought since (sadly under Kenny and Rodgers as well).

Throughout his career, Heaton has shown himself to be solid. We need better than solid. Yes, he could be brought in, but at a much higher price than he's actually worth. He's in his prime now, and playing at a standard higher than he's ever done before. I highly doubt that he'd improve much at this stage of his career. Its a move that screams out short-term thinking.

I would have loved for us to go after Mandanda last summer, as I always thought he was class at Marseille and is in his prime with probably 5-6 years in him, but that boat has sailed. Horn would have been a good shout, but we went for Karius who had better statistics.

Was Leicester's squad last season "good enough to win the league"?

I think the squad is good enough to have a chance at it, but probably not to be favoured. No one, no matter how much they spend, can guarantee that a team will win the league. It's just not possible.

But more to the point, I think even where we are now is ahead of schedule. Klopp's obviously looking long-term with his transfer business. The only older player he's brought in is a backup centre back, all the others have been younger (with the idea being that they get better as they develop into their prime).

So yes, the squad is not the best in the league right now, with clear weaknesses as you note at goalkeeper and centre mid. But it could be in a year, or maybe two. Coutinho/Firmino/Mane is a forward line that can win the league, and they're all 24. I think Klopp will look to buy starters at centre back, centre mid and left back next summer and hope that Karius develops. And if he succeeds with 2 out of the 3, then I think our squad will be good enough to win the league.

A signing or two now in those positions might be enough to improve our odds of the title from about 20% to maybe 25% if it worked out perfectly, but there's just no way we're going to sign someone who suddenly makes us favourites for the title. Knowing that, it makes very good sense to wait it out, finish second or third, and then keep plugging away at the problems next summer (assuming all our summer targets are out of reach in January, obviously if one of them becomes available then the calculus changes).

Why not go for the title now? We're in as good a spot in terms of position in January as I can remember in the past 5 years... I'd rather us aim for the title and fail, cos chances are we'd be in the CL next season. If we're happy to just make the CL, the teams below us aiming for the title with better squads than us would leapfrog us and push us down the table to 5th or 6th.

Why not go for the title now? We're in as good a spot in terms of position in January as I can remember in the past 5 years... I'd rather us aim for the title and fail, cos chances are we'd be in the CL next season. If we're happy to just make the CL, the teams below us aiming for the title with better squads than us would leapfrog us and push us down the table to 5th or 6th.

Exactly. One or 2 injuries in crucial positions (e.g Hendo) would completely derail our season.

It's no cert we'll finish in the top four given six teams are fighting hard for those four places.

Klopp can drag physically and mentally drag this team, only so far.

They showed us what they are at their core last year, in Switzerland.

They are cowards, you know it, and I know it.

That's a bit harsh. They didn't have any legs left in that 2nd half and it showed. Too many games meant they were mentally and physically shattered.

Could easily happen again given how small our squad is.

Guest Pistonbroke

There is a large segment of our fans, not a majority but not that far from it, that simply seek to find a way to blame them for everything.  Klopp comes out and says he doesn't want to buy players?  He must be lying, covering for them not giving him a budget.  We show a profit on the summer transfer window?  It must be because they're milking the club dry, never mind that our manager has never spent big money on players anywhere he's ever been (and the fact that we're second in the league despite making money in the transfer window).

Klopp is nobody's stooge.  He is not saying he doesn't see transfers as the answer because he secretly wants to bid for Dybala and is being stymied by the moneymen.  He simply believes that chemistry, tactics and training are genuinely better for the team than getting the flavour-of-the-month in for twelvety billion pounds.  He has a long-term perspective, looking at such details as blocking progress for promising youngsters, that he believes suits the club better than short-term "solutions" that cause as many problems as they solve.

I wouldn't say it is intense hatred against FSG by most, like myself they just think they could invest in the squad more. Through various managers under their tenure we have thinned it out far too much and there is no real quality in there apart from the obvious few. 

You are spot on about Klopp and the fact he has never spent a fortune in the market, but the Bundesliga is a totally different kettle of fish than the PL. Even Bayern, who try to out buy everyone within their own league can't match their European counterparts financially. German teams rely on very good scouting systems and sticking to wage structures within their club. Dortmund where financially insecure before Klopp turned up and nearly went bust, he was always going to be restricted in what he spent. He did a great job though, helped by the fact a fair few of his signings gelled and turned out to be very good from the off. He is dealing with a different kettle of fish now though, the top 6 teams are going to spend at a totally different level compared to the teams he was battling against in the Bundesliga.