You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

Guest Pistonbroke

That booing was unbelievable though. Absolutely disgusting and sums up the mentality of a huge majority of football fans.

It sums up society mate. 

All these pathetic excuses that noone is available in the Jan window.

Why didn't we buy what we needed in the summer then? Lots knew we were a cb short no backup for Mane and a bit same same in midfield. That isn't even mentioning fullbacks but I guess that is an area you can skimp on.

To play devils advocate, I don't think Klopp suspected a title challenge when he went about his summer transfer business.

It's all very well to look back now and go "why didn't we bring in top class players in all positions as first and second choices", but back in the summer our number 1 priority was to make a fist of a CL place, not win the fucking league.

We're still well placed for that CL finish, with Mane yet to come back and Matip back from oblivion.

That said, we do need a shot in the arm right now, and I don't care what position that player plays in, I just think we can do with an extra face on the coach for each game.

Guest Pistonbroke

The Jurgen link aside, which might not have had the effect we wanted, I'm not really sure why we were expecting Dortmund to sell us a fantastic young player who they're giving plenty of game time to.

The player himself has a bigger say, especially in the modern game where wages and improved contracts mean so much. Dortmund are in a battle to qualify for CL football themselves, if they fail I can see quite a few of their players wanting to move on. 

Guest Pistonbroke

This summer needs to be good for us in the transfer market, very good. 

No pressure Jurgen. We know you'll be backed to the hilt.

I was laughing when I wrote that, crying more like.

6 months is a long time in football Mike, who knows, if we manage to make the CL, FSG might see it as their best chance to cash in through a sale, or a large share of the club. 

It's gonna be interesting to see if Gerrard stops voicing his opinions on the first team in public once he's onboard in his new coaching role.

Inglethorpe and his staff obvivously don't get these questions from the media, so no risk or reason for them to publicly state their opinions on first team matters. But Gerrard for sure needs to be careful here, won't look very good if he keeps commenting on this in the future.

This is a very good point.

Really think Gerrard needs to start winding down the media spokesman role now he knows he's going to be back at the academy.  What is he supposed to say to a young centre back who's playing in the U18s or U23s (say, Joe Gomez)?  "Uh, I know I said publicly that I think we should buy van Dijk for a billion pounds because I don't think you're near ready, but you really are."?

Once you're going to be working in youth development, you pretty much have to steer clear of the transfer speculation when talking with the media.  Hopefully someone will have sat him down and explained this to him after that comment.

• Upvote 1

Pulisic signs a new deal at Dortmund. Anybody surprised?

The time to get this lad was Summer 2016, but we went in with some fucking ridiculous 11m pound bid and unsurprisingly got told to do one. 

We must have been given some encouragement by him or his agent to even make a bid in the first place. Why didn't we make them an offer they couldn't refuse at that point?

We're so fucking inept at transfers, it's amazing. 

• Upvote 1

The player himself has a bigger say, especially in the modern game where wages and improved contracts mean so much. Dortmund are in a battle to qualify for CL football themselves, if they fail I can see quite a few of their players wanting to move on. 

Still seemed an odd one to me, mate. I could a deal for somebody like Kagawa maybe suiting everybody (though he actually started at the weekend), but I never thought we'd a hope of Pulisic, especially at £5m less than we got for Ibe. They'll get fourth, I reckon. They really should with that squad. Good bet for a run to the final in Europe too.

Guest Pistonbroke

Still seemed an odd one to me, mate. I could a deal for somebody like Kagawa maybe suiting everybody (though he actually started at the weekend), but I never thought we'd a hope of Pulisic, especially at £5m less than we got for Ibe. They'll get fourth, I reckon. They really should with that squad. Good bet for a run to the final in Europe too.

I reckon the club think because we have Klopp as manager we can raid the Bundesliga on the cheap, those clubs are not daft, they know that clubs in the PL and LaLiga are willing to pay over the odds, why should they entertain our derisory offers. 

As for Dortmund, they still looked a bit iffy against 10 man Bremen at the weekend. I only watched the highlights mind and it was the first game after their winter break. They play Mainz away next which should tell us more. Dortmund's biggest plus is that the teams around them are made up of clubs nobody expected to be doing that well.