You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

As I haven't seen many sleeping animals on here for a while, here is a very unusual one.

seal-goes-to-sleep.gif

It's a seal.

OK Cardie i bow to your superior knowledge on these players current contract situations.

Problem is it doesn't take a superior knowledge, it just involves a cursory check of the information available.

Like Klopp's comments this weekend, they aren't new, he's been saying the same thing, almost, since he got here. People have largely ignored it though because it doesn't fit a pre-determined narrative/it's far more uncomfortable for people to be seen to be going after Klopp than it is to be seen going after FSG.

Now it could be that Klopp is towing the party line but all evidence points to that not being the case at the moment so until we have evidence to the contrary it would be an odd stance to take to assume that Klopp isn't big enough or sufficiently powerful (especially being adored by fans and media while sitting on a 6 year deal) that he has to be the propaganda mouth piece for the owners.

There's a big difference between no players being available and the players Klopp wants not being available.

• Upvote 1

People could point out that Carvalho has been part of a power struggle between Sporting President Bruno Carvalho and Jorge Mendes, with Carvalho promising to rid Sporting of the influence of Mendes, they could mention that W.Carvalho left Mendes and signed a new contract increasing his buyout fee to 45 million and that with Sporting holding presidential elections in March and Bruno Carvalho running again it's highly unlikely that he'll allow W.Carvalho to leave in January given he's the poster child for his short term success and evidence of him sticking to his mandate.

Or that Kondogbia was so bad under de Boer he was jeered by his own supporters but has improved, and increased playing time, under Stefano Pioli.

Or that Gabigol was quoted as saying over Christmas that 

"I’ve only been here for three months, so it has taken time to adapt to the city and the team," he said.

"I am very happy at Inter. Obviously I hope to play more, but I am happy and realise it will take some patience. I train every day to improve and every day I feel more settled.

"Plan A is to stay at Inter and make my mark here the way I did at Santos."

As for Juventus' and their 'piss take loans', they are on the hook for 15 million for a three year loan of Cuadrado and are obliged to sign him for a further 10 million (dependent on team achievements, if those achievements aren't met there is no obligation to buy) and a further 4 million in contingent payments (values in Euros). All with a better player in Coman on loan to Bayern.

The only other player they had on loan over the first half of the season is Benatia who's not exactly been pulling up trees with 7 starts.

It's very easy to take a high level look at players and just assume they're available, of that they're obvious targets while everyone pats themselves on the back for a good afternoon of youtube scouting but their are far more moving parts to a transfer than quoting names.

Jesus, what a load of bollocks this is.

I assume Luis Suarez would have been a fucking shite signing back in January 2011 for his various misdemeanours at Ajax.

And who the fuck could rationalize a bid for Coutinho a year later? The fraud couldn't hold a place down under various Inter managers and got shipped on loan to Espanyol. He also had like three long term injuries. Stay well clear.

Blah, blah, blah.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, what a load of bollocks this is.

I assume Luis Suarez would have been a fucking shite signing back in January 2011 for his various misdemeanours at Ajax.

And who the fuck could rationalize a bid for Coutinho a year later? The fraud couldn't hold a place down under various Inter managers and got shipped on loan to Espanyol. He also had like three long term injuries. Stay well clear.

Blah, blah, blah.

You'll have to explain how that relates to anything I said.

There's a big difference between no players being available and the players Klopp wants not being available.

Well, guess what? Klopp has to work within the market he has available to him. It's called fucking reality.

Some players I want are Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele and Dele Alli. But what do you know? For a variety of reason they are all fairly unrealistic targets (or at least, targets that would be hellishly difficult to sign).

Does that mean that we don't sign fucking anybody at all? Or does it mean that you accept the limitations set to you (i.e. money, allure, availability) and you figure out how to maximise the efficacy of the outcome.

I am not sure what warped reality Klopp (or others) are living in where we have the quality of team that we can wilfully choose not to try and improve upon. Anybody who thinks our squad is strong enough for us to sit on our hands for 6 months (whilst our competitors press ahead) is bat shit crazy.

You'll have to explain how that relates to anything I said.

You are passing off fairly base-less speculation as if it is approaching anything close to a fact.

There are always reasons why any deal can't work out, inside or outside of football. However, these are obstacles, not apologies.

If you want to get something done, you get it done. Sometimes it is impossible, yes, but the idea that there is not a single deal to be done this January is frankly bonkers.

You are passing off fairly base-less speculation as if it is approaching anything close to a fact.

There are always reasons why any deal can't work out, inside or outside of football. However, these are obstacles, not apologies.

If you want to get something done, you get it done. Sometimes it is impossible, yes, but the idea that there is not a single deal to be done this January is frankly bonkers.

It was a response to three specific players, players we have no idea is Klopp even wants based on information available to everyone. 

Anybody who thinks our squad is strong enough for us to sit on our hands for 6 months (whilst our competitors press ahead) is bat shit crazy.

So far Man Utd have signed?.......how about Chelsea?......Spurs?....the only signing made is by Man CIty and that was a deal made in the summer.

Will they make signings in the next week, maybe, maybe man utd will finally sign Lindelof, maybe Guardiola will panic buy half the Bayern Munich team maybe Conte or Pochetino will each sign a player.

But they haven't yet which makes the idea that our competitors are pressing ahead seem hollow at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

He is, the problem is you see the market as a period where signing a player is mandatory, clearly not everyone thinks that way.

Anybody who doesn't think it is essential for us to bring in reinforcements (as opposed to relying on the likes of TAA and Woodburn) is deluded.

I hate to degrade debates to that level of mud-slinging but it's the truth.

So far Man Utd have signed?.......how about Chelsea?......Spurs?....the only signing made is by Man CIty and that was a deal made in the summer.

Will they make signings in the next week, maybe, maybe man utd will finally sign Lindelof, maybe Guardiola will panic buy half the Bayern Munich team maybe Conte or Pochetino will each sign a player.

But they haven't yet which makes the idea that our competitors are pressing ahead seem hollow at the moment. 

They 'pressed ahead' in the summer, when we again sat on our hands with gaping holes in our squad that were obviously going to come to the fore as the season matured.

Nearly everybody on this site would have told you that we would struggle in January before the summer transfer window closed. Why? Because it was bloody obvious, even at a point when we had Ings available to us.

Back then people were spouting this exact same brand of bullshit - that Klopp will only want to buy the 'right' player, and will wait until January to get him (a name that popped up in this vain was Pulisic).

• Upvote 2

All you ever seem to do is disagree with every single poster on here and don't come up with any of your own opinions. Anyone who seems worried about the way the club is heading or the fact that we haven't bought anyone in this January when it's obvious that we need fresh legs seems to get sneered at by you.

Kin'ell mate, how long have you been posting on here? Please tell me you haven't only just got onto it.

Klopp's claim that he could manage with this squad has been proven wrong.

Has it? Did he say this squad would win the title? Did you expect him to be challenging for the title with the squad in August?

I didnt but have been delighted he's got us so far. It might ultimately prove to be a failed title challenge again but to say he's been proved wrong is wrong.

• Upvote 2