You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cardiff cup finals.

Kevin D

Cardiff >> Wembley all day long

2001 Drinking from 10am in a squash club just around the corner from the millenium, completely robbing Arsenal of the cup, then back to the squash club until about 9 before the minibus home.

One of the best days of my life!

• Upvote 1

I thought I'd only missed one game at Cardiff (2006 Charity Shield) , but had forgetten about the 2002 Charity Shield v Arsenal. I can't even remember the result!

Arsenal won 1-0

Was a great day though, Stadium and surrounding town were brilliant. Loved Cardiff.

Another one for preferring it over Wembley, which is a soulless, corporate box.

Went to the Birmingham League cup, the West Ham Final and the Chelsea league cup final (or was it the Charity shield when Dave U lost his rag at badgeman?)

Birmingham one we stayed in Abergaveney (I think) and took over the town, it was ace.  Our coach took us to this tiny mining pub opposite a graveyard and some lad ended up shagging a local girl of dubious pub going age in the cemetary

West Ham - stayed in Bristol for the weekend, had a great laugh, best curry house I've been to is there the Old India I believe.  Naans to die for.  Our hotel was full of West Ham though and after the match in the hotel bar the festive atmosphere took a turn for the worse when we were cheering the penalty misses by there lot.  God pwopa norteee

The Dave U v Badgeman final  I coached it which was a massive ball ache and something I wouldn't do again.  Absolute wretch. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2016 at 9:54 AM, deiseach said:

I missed that one. What happened?

After the league cup final in '05 against Chelsea, when Gerrard scored an own goal, David. E. Usher got into a bit of a screaming match with that Liverpool fan who wears all those badges.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I defy anybody who was at that game to

say it wasn’t one of the best days of their life. 

The crowd scenes when Owen bags the winner are just insane. Equal to Origi in Madrid. 

Better, or just different:

?

56 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I defy anybody who was at that game to

say it wasn’t one of the best days of their life. 

The crowd scenes when Owen bags the winner are just insane. Equal to Origi in Madrid. 

Yep.

It was the most exhilarated  I' ve ever been at match. I was having palpitations after celebrating the second goal.

We absolutely stole the cup that day.

10 minutes ago, derykw said:

Yep.

It was the most exhilarated  I' ve ever been at match. I was having palpitations after celebrating the second goal.

Total nonsense.

Houllier's tactics were spot on.

giphy.gif

1Uqv.gif

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, derykw said:

Yep.

Watched it in a pub in Town and I genuinely didn't cheer the second goal - I just stared in slack-jawed disbelief. 

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Only went once - 2006 Charity Shield. Brilliant day out. The train down from Chester was absolutely dead until we got to Hereford, which - by that time  - had become a massive park & ride site; then it was like being on  Reds party bus.

Sissoko ran the table against Ballack that day.

He really should have used lube, in fairness. It was a touch uncouth in the end.

The league cup final against Birmingham was dire. They were 2nd Division and we struggled to break them down. The last minute pen to them was a sickner. Best forgotten that one.

The Cup Final against Arsenal was totally different. I thought we were the better side even when they scored. Owen was just an out and out predator for the equaliser. I'll never forget he looked like a great white stalking its prey from that corner. I was convinced he was going to score when I saw his movement.

The breakaway for the winner was something else as well. He showed the defence a clean pair of heels and hit his shot across seaman's despairing dive. Much wider and it would have hit the post. I'll never forget seaman's reaction to the goal, it was one of utter despair. I think I fell about 3 rows in front of my seat and everyone was just going bonkers.