You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) 13 Jan 2016

smilezzz

I bet Mignolet is brilliant in training. Coming for everything, catching the ball one handed, saving loads of shots. He just then shits himself during the pressure of an actual match.

Agreed. His problems stem from the mental side of his game. When he's confident and the team is playing well he really is a good goalkeeper, despite what everyone says.

Sums us up that game.  When we press high, with energy and commitment, like in the first 15 minutes, we look the business.  Suicidal defending, and Lallana, Can and Ibe all going to shit for the second half (actually Ibe was poor all game), and Firmino fading after his two brilliant goals, meant we were always going to struggle.  It took the introduction of two much maligned players to win us a point, and they deserve some credit for that.  

We need a better midfield, that's for sure.  Henderson drives me mad because he's devoid of guts and intelligence, Can is just devoid of awareness and intelligence, and Milner isn't great with the ball.   

Mignolet needs fucking off asap, new contract or not.  Please get a decent goalkeeper on board in summer.  Moreno is shit in these sort of games too as he has absolutely no awareness of opposition players making runs around him.  Clyne was the only decent defender today, and even he was iffy on occasion.  

Henderson was excellent. Watch the game again, preferably with your eyes open for once. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's the deal with head injuries? Does the ref generally stop the game for safety reasons or to not disadvantage one team? It'd have been interesting if Sakho had gone down like Giroud did, but then if you remember how much flak Moreno copped for doing it only a week before, even though Sakho seemed genuinely affected by the head clash. 

We definitely have the worst set of centre halves in my time watching us. I would feel more comfortable with Piechnik and Tanner. Our current defenders fear crosses more than Boston choirboys.

That was vintage Evans era, just really dumb play. Baffles me when people laud Sakho and talk about toure as some kind of cult hero, they're both total shite.

A good defender should do the simple things well, ours can't even nod a ball out of danger or hold a line.

Henderson was excellent. Watch the game again, preferably with your eyes open for once. 

watch the plethora of shithouse passes in the first half putting his team in trouble because he didn't want the responsibility.  Watch him doing that running alongside the opposition player thing he does without actually threatening to tackle them.  He was slightly better in the second half, but it really is shocking that he's the club captain.  

I like Sakho, but since his return from his latest injury he has not really been at his level. I suspect he is not fully fit, and he also appears to need a run of games to get up to speed. He's not there yet. 

You're right G, he's not fit, but he didn't help himself tonight with some howler passes.

That was vintage Evans era, just really dumb play. Baffles me when people laud Sakho and talk about toure as some kind of cult hero, they're both total shite.

A good defender should do the simple things well, ours can't even nod a ball out of danger or hold a line.

To be fair we only need the 4 new cb's. The Chuckle Brothers inspire more confidence when moving a wardrobe.

I like Sakho, but since his return from his latest injury he has not really been at his level. I suspect he is not fully fit, and he also appears to need a run of games to get up to speed. He's not there yet.

He doesn't do simple stuff well enough regularly. He's the kind of defender a 90s football fan would buzz off, does fuck all well for ages then scissor kicks a clearance and gets a verbal hand job from martin Tyler and is thus declared a good defender.

Good defenders, people like carragher and Finnan, would make dozens of small interceptions a game that most wouldn't even notice, but they'd snuff it out before it became a problem.

We're just so fucking bad at it now it's heartbreaking.

• Upvote 1

Before he got injured I thought he was playing well. He was getting tackles in and stepping out with the ball, and, crucially, he was picking a forward pass. 

Hopefully he can get back to that level sharpish. 

I completely agree he was poor tonight, and some of the passing was very poor. 

Sakho struggles from one thing -- having Moreno next to him

Moreno is a liability when it comes to defending, but is great bombing forward.  Clyne is a much better defender, but not great going forward.  Sakho also had little birds circling around his head for the first half.  

I think Sakho struggled to stay on his feet as he'd clashed heads pretty badly with Giroud.

I genuinely think that the Premier League takes the piss a bit when it comes to concussion issues. Other sports that involve more physical contact are starting to take it far more seriously and for good reason. 

Highest pass completion rate on the pitch @ 92%.

But typical of our fucking fans that they pick up on the 8%.

I'm a big fan of Sakho, but tonight he did make some terrible passes.  He wasn't the only one though.  Can couldn't find a teammate in the second half, Lallana and Ibe were both poor in possession.

All of our defenders have too much to do because we don't have anyone in midfield, bar probably Lucas and Allen, who obviously have many other things they're shite at, that have any footballing intelligence. I guess Milner does to some extent but his first touch is often so shite it barely matters what was going on in his head.

• Upvote 1

All of our defenders have too much to do because we don't have anyone in midfield, bar probably Lucas and Allen, who obviously have many other things they're shite at, that have any footballing intelligence. I guess Milner does to some extent but his first touch is often so shite it barely matters what was going on in his head.

Fair point.
  • Downvote 1

A bit harsh on Hendo who had a good game tonight I thought.