You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

32 minutes ago, skend04 said:

No, Spain imprisoned politicians who decided it was a good idea to commit sedition. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp. Except if you're Gnasher.

Its a very difficult concept for the many thousands who voted for independence against a Facist king and corrupt political system.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/spanish-police-clash-with-thousands-of-catalan-protestors-in-barcelona

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

He doesn't seem the nicest of people and I hope he goes but the old saying about keeping your own house in order comes to mind. I'd feel a tad hypocritical if as a eu bigwig I started a mission of outrage over an easten block country whilst old age pensioners were getting beaten at a ballot box in Spain. 

The cunt should do what hes paid to do and sort out the problems in Europe.

So your beef is that the EU should have intervened against the Madrid government.  I get that. It goes against the principle of subsidiarity, but there's a strong argument to be made that the actions of the Madrid government were so egregious that the EU should have made an exception and taken some sort of action against the Spanish government. 

(I can't remember  - did you ever clarify what sort of EU intervention you wanted to see in Spain?)

Completely unrelated to this is how the EU conducts its relationships with non-Member States.  If you want to accuse the EU of hypocrisy, you should compare like with like: find an example of the EU turning a blind eye to human rights abuses in a country with which it has diplomatic and economic ties (there are bound to be plenty of examples) and contrast that with the  response to Lukashenko. 

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So your beef is that the EU should have intervened against the Madrid government.  I get that. It goes against the principle of subsidiarity, but there's a strong argument to be made that the actions of the Madrid government were so egregious that the EU should have made an exception and taken some sort of action against the Spanish government. 

(I can't remember  - did you ever clarify what sort of EU intervention you wanted to see in Spain?)

Completely unrelated to this is how the EU conducts its relationships with non-Member States.  If you want to accuse the EU of hypocrisy, you should compare like with like: find an example of the EU turning a blind eye to human rights abuses in a country with which it has diplomatic and economic ties (there are bound to be plenty of examples) and contrast that with the  response to Lukashenko. 

tenor.gif

Have that, snowflake. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The "Fortress Europe" policies are and have always been racist as fuck.

As is the whole concept of European workers having greater rights than those brown people (who are often more qualified) who are unlucky enough to live further afield.

25 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Why should a white nurse from Hungary be given greater access to Britain than a brown nurse from Ghana?  Not fair. Not right.

There’s an internationally ratified agreement between the EU and Hungary. The colour of the participants isn’t mentioned in any of those agreements but you’ve managed it twice in a paragraph. Well done. 

Are you suggesting that we shouldn’t have any international agreements for fear of being accused as racist? 

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s an internationally ratified agreement between the EU and Hungary. The colour of the participants isn’t mentioned in any of those agreements but you’ve managed it twice in a paragraph. Well done. 

Are you suggesting that we shouldn’t have any international agreements for fear of being accused as racist? 

Hungary is in the eu, therefore a Hungarian nurse has an advantage if wanting to work in Britain than a nurse from let's say Nigeria. 

The reason I mentioned the colour was in response to angry mentioning "brown people on boats' to me in another thread (I think it was the Starmer thread)

56 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Hungary is in the eu, therefore a Hungarian nurse has an advantage if wanting to work in Britain than a nurse from let's say Nigeria. 

The reason I mentioned the colour was in response to angry mentioning "brown people on boats' to me in another thread (I think it was the Starmer thread)

Yes, because we have a free trade agreement with them, membership of the EU. If I wanted to buy a widget from Nigeria it wouldn’t be as cheap as the one from Hungary.  

You mentioned colour because you’re a massive racist.  

Well, this is some creative logic. It's a bit like saying 'the police are bad because they're racist against black people' and offering the solution of 'be racist towards everybody' instead of 'don't be racist'. The freedom of movement isn't based on race, it's based on nationality of a people in a common area regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, or economic background. It's true that it's harder for people outside of that area to get in, but the solution to leave the EU so nobody has that access is... interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Well, this is some creative logic. It's a bit like saying 'the police are bad because they're racist against black people' and offering the solution of 'be racist towards everybody' instead of 'don't be racist'. The freedom of movement isn't based on race, it's based on nationality of a people in a common area regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, or economic background. It's true that it's harder for people outside of that area to get in, but the solution to leave the EU so nobody has that access is... interesting. 

Well it's not as you put it so "nobody has access" that's an exaggeration although a lot will depend on the government of the day. Only a fool would disregard the economic benefits immigrants bring to the country and I know the present government are proving to be a calamity but I doubt they'd be stupid enough to cut their nose to spite their face.

The point is certain people are at a disadvantage when trying to work in the uk even though that person may be more qualified than a European competitor.

22 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

British citizens in the UK have more rights - to work, to claim benefits, etc. - than visitors from overseas.

Is that inherently racist?

I don't know if its Racist but I do know it's wrong. If you are here you should be treated the same as the person next door, simple as that.

31 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, because we have a free trade agreement with them, membership of the EU. If I wanted to buy a widget from Nigeria it wouldn’t be as cheap as the one from Hungary.  

You mentioned colour because you’re a massive racist.  

I dont really listen to opinions on who is racist or not racist by a person who votes for a political party that contains Norman Tebbit.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well it's not as you put it so "nobody has access" that's an exaggeration although a lot will depend on the government of the day. Only a fool would disregard the economic benefits immigrants bring to the country and I know the present government are proving to be a calamity but I doubt they'd be stupid enough to cut their nose to spite their face.

The point is certain people are at a disadvantage when trying to work in the uk even though that person may be more qualified than a European competitor.

Yes, that's the point. Falling back on everybody being disadvantaged isn't the solution to that issue. The solution to inequality between rich and poor isn't to make everybody poor, it's to improve the living standards of the poor. It's the same with this. I certainly don't trust the Tories with our borders or a fair immigration policy.