You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Guest Pistonbroke

What's going on with ttip? As with all things Brexit I'm reading wildly conflicting shit.

If it happens, which is highly unlikely in the EU, then it will be years if not decades before it can be put into practice. Have a look at the video Cloggy posted a few pages back mate. 

Guest Pistonbroke

It's looking considerably better for us over in the EU but more likely for you lot in the UK.

There are a lot of countries within the EU who don't want it or are very sceptical. Unless they all sign up to the idea it won't happen anytime soon. 

There are a lot of countries within the EU who don't want it or are very sceptical. Unless they all sign up to the idea it won't happen anytime soon.

Whereas the UK could end up with Gove in charge and nobody to oppose him

http://www.waronwant.org/media/government-propaganda-defence-ttip

He is very much in favour. The use of scaremongering really stands out there for me.

It's looking considerably better for us over in the EU but more likely for you lot in the UK.

Fucking hell! Are there any passionate who haven't left this thread in weeks Remainers actualy living here in the UK? There seems to be a patten emerging!

Fucking hell! Are there any passionate who haven't left this thread in weeks Remainers actualy living here in the UK? There seems to be a patten emerging!

Yes me. Although I do divide my time between here and Italy.

Yes, the pattern is that those of us who have actually taken advantage of the freedoms the EU has delivered for us and expanded our horizons in different countries, are most likely not to be insular mouthbreathing cretins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having lived and worked in Europe, I've experienced the benefits first hand. Also have many, many European friends who are totally bemused with the U.K. abandoning ship, which, in a lot of ways, severely weakens all of the member states.

There are plenty of europhiles among us for whom the world doesn't end at Dover.

Having lived and worked in Europe, I've experienced the benefits first hand. Also have many, many European friends who are totally bemused with the U.K. abandoning ship, which, in a lot of ways, severely weakens all of the member states.

There are plenty of europhiles among us for whom the world doesn't end at Dover.

Clamping down on freedom weakens everyone. I feel like I'm living in a larger version of North Korea. We should rename ourselves Great Prison and have done with it.

Under EU laws, any refugee arriving or landing in a member state must seek asylum in that member state. So for example, if a refugee or economic migrant arrives in say Italy, then they must seek asylum in Italy and Italy must not give them free passage to say France for them to seek asylum there.

Not only that, the French have said all the scaremongering about removing the UK Border checks in Calais is just that, scaremongering.

So yet again, sorry you're wrong. Its not easy and its illegal under EU law.

Under what law is it illegal?

Section and subsection please.

If it's illegal, why do people who travel across Europe from the likes of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Eritrea etc still get granted asylum in the UK despite their alleged illegality?

Under what law is it illegal?

Section and subsection please.

If it's illegal, why do people who travel across Europe from the likes of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Eritrea etc still get granted asylum in the UK despite their alleged illegality?

Isn't that because they travel into Europe, keep travelling and only apply for asylum once they reach the border of the country they want to enter? I might be wrong about that, but I've always assumed that's what happened.

Isn't that because they travel into Europe, keep travelling and only apply for asylum once they reach the border of the country they want to enter? I might be wrong about that, but I've always assumed that's what happened.

Aren't they still technically arriving or landing in these countries though by doing that?

The Dublin Regulations, in practice, have limited impact and depend on numerous things such as a refugees ability to avail themselves to the authorities in that country, the reception facilities available for asylum seekers in the country in question, whether they were travelling freely or under the control of a smuggler/agent etc.