You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What age should bands pack it in?

Total Longo

I don't have a problem with it, I'm not into all this grow old gracefully as long as they enjoy it and the crowd does then I think it's fine.

I love The Who but I know when I'm going to see them I'm not seeing the band from the 70's but rather a band in their 70's..but as long as the passion is still there then it's fine...Even though I know it's basically a tribute act they still put a lot of younger bands to shame

Having said that I would rather remember them like this

The+Who.jpg

Than this....

promoted-media-optimized_5473bfc2a89f0.j

• Upvote 1

Very good question. Did a quick snoop around the net. Picked a few big names. Looks like once they hit late 20's the genius is done in general....

When these artists made their most critically acclaimed albums :

Led Zeppelin - mid 20's

Pixies - late 20's

Stones -  mid & late 20's

Floyd - late 20's

Dylan - mid 20's

Springsteen - mid 20's

Michael Jackson - mid 20's

and

Hanson - early teens

Spears - late teens

ahahaha the state of Chris Lowe on that pet shop boys picture, he looks as utterly disinterested as he did 30 years ago, god bless him.

Still dressed in the same clothes as he was wearing 30 years ago too.

He looks as if he's dressed for a comedy sketch of some kind. At least Neil Tennant has the decency to be wearing a cardigan.

Hanson should have called it quits in year 7.

Floyd should still be going.

I love The Floyd but they should have sacked it off after The Wall. I've never quite understood the love for The Final Cut (it's just a more moany and less tuneful version of The Wall) and the post Waters output is average at best.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people just want their favourite bands to keep going until they're 100 so they can say 'I've seen them', it's part of that whole event culture where money becomes irrelevant and all that matters is that you were there, even if it was shite.

I'd much rather sit at home & watch my Led Zeppelin DVDs than go & see them on tour with Jason Bonham on drums, singing about teenage girls & grabbing their cocks in their 70s. The Stone Roses reforming was a classic example, I'm not interested in paying for Ian Brown's divorce to be honest, the amount of people who don't even own the Second Coming who went to their reunion gigs was scary, it was embarrassing watching them with their grey hair singing Sally Cinnamon on Youtube & that's coming from someone who thought they were all that mattered in 1989/90. Fair enough if you want to go & watch that but it's not for me.

Either burn out or grow old with a wee bit of grace.

• Upvote 2

Going to watch Ian Brown 'sing' is a sign that your brain isn't working properly.  There is definitely a point where watching the old geezers ceases to be a good idea though.  I was recently offered a couple of free tickets to see McCartney at the O2, but I turned them down because he just can't do it any more and it's sad to see - the old twat doesn't need the money, and he must know his powers have considerably waned.  I prefer to remember him when he was at his peak.  

Now, it's undignified - he's 72 for fuck's sake.  Go and spend your money.   Get a job as a lollipop man if you need to keep busy.  But spare us the think dusty croak that passes for a McCartney scream these days.

Guest Pistonbroke

Rush are still going strong and started in the late 60's!! The Time Machine tour and Clockwork Angels tour were great successes. 

Were you there doing an exit poll or something?

"Hello, one quick question:  do you own the Second Coming?"

No but I know loads of people who went who think the Second Coming is shit & don't own a copy.

Anyways, their reunion wasn't for me, too old & they were only in it for the money.

And Ian Brown sounds like someone being sick into a bucket, which doesn't help.

The Who were great from 1965 to 1971

The Stones were great from 1967 to 1972

The Beatles were great from 1965 to 1970

The Kinks were great from 1964 to 1967

Lou Reed had three periods of being good 1967-1970, 1972-1974 and a brief period with Robert Quine from 1982-1983.

Bob Dylan had two, 1964-1966 and 1975-1976.

Guest Pistonbroke

They are retiring from touring though. Neil Peart has tendinitis.

They are not opposed to doing the odd mini tour or gig mate, they just said large tours are out of the question now due to the reason you stated. Pity as i went to their last two tours in Germany at Frankfurt and Cologne and both concerts were the dogs nads. 

Step one: Get guitarist

Step two: Record seminal album

Step three: become cult punk rock heroes and quit our jobs

So I'd say maybe a couple of weeks?

Excellent.  Okay so you get the guitarist, write the seminal debut LP and mail me the tracks.  I'll lay down the drums and post them back.  We can be like The Postal Service, but call ourselves Airmail Small Packets instead or something.     

I used to think they should pack it in before they go stale... and some should...

But have you heard the new Faith No More album Sol Invictus? It stands boldly alongside their previous releases and I for one am so happy they didn’t just ring it in for the money. It's fucking awesome.