You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

As ladyman wrote it.

Gerrard made his debut for Liverpool in November 1998. He played 39 times during last season’s buccaneering campaign but, as peculiar as it sounds, this one could be his last.

Out of contract next summer, Gerrard would like to stay but has yet to be approached for talks by the club. ‘I can only worry about this season 'cos I’m only contracted until May,’ he said candidly.

‘As it stands at the moment, I’m here until the end of the season and want to make the most of it. I certainly won’t be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision. If they don’t come then I will see what’s out there.’

So that will be Reina, Agger, Carra and Stevie gone to be replaced by utter nob of bum butterred bum nuts quieter than a church mouse's whisker flicker on the wisp of the wind.

But no one can challenge then, none shall pass, REPENT! and that shalt be saved dont make no frictions rippin rogereligion premeditated predilection prediction by the fiction vixens tradition pissing amerilection mission.

Who are we chanelling today dennis, Marinetti?  Perhaps seasoned with a little Ginsberg?

• Upvote 2

how dare he not know we d lose 4 on the bounce after that.

he's more than earned the right to put it out that he wants a new contract.

he's given his life to this club and it will be a very sad day when he does leave.

I'm not sure I'd say he's given 'his life' to the club,his career? Yes of course and been very well paid for it but not his life.

There were 96 people and more who have given their lives for the club while Gerrard has simply given his career and 100% every time he has played.

Your post just sounds a bit emotive to me so I just felt like it needed some perspective.

By the way, the crap formatting is down to the BBC site.

Brendan Rodgers: A week in the life of the Liverpool boss

Brendan Rodgers has made the uncomfortable journey from sitting on Liverpool's team bus as it received a guard of honour through Anfield's Shankly Gates from thousands of fans to admitting he was favourite for the sack inside six months.

If anyone can be used as an accurate measure of the Premier League's skewed level of expectation, it is the Northern Irishman, who was three games from delivering Liverpool's first title for 25 years in May only to find himself under intense pressure at the end of November.

Rodgers, to his credit, has not dodged the forensic examination his methods have received this season - but his outpouring of joy as Glen Johnson's 85th-minute header gave Liverpool a 1-0 win against Stoke City at Anfield hinted at sheer relief as well as elation.

It ended a week that started with a dreadful performance in defeat at Crystal Palace - a third successive Premier League loss in a spell that has left Liverpool's Champions League aspirations on the edge.

Rodgers has lived out every emotion of the Premier League manager in the past seven days, concluding it with a broad smile and the hope Liverpool, so dazzling in finishing runners-up last season, can now move their season forward.

So this was the week that was for Brendan Rodgers.

Sunday: Crystal Palace pain

_79398267_gerrard_palace_ap.jpg

Liverpool endured another match to forget against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park

Rodgers will be in no hurry to see Selhurst Park again. If the 3-3 draw that contributed to their late Premier League stumble last season was bad enough, the manner of the loss last Sunday was arguably even more disturbing, and the catalyst for questions about his future.

Despite taking the lead through Rickie Lambert's goal, Liverpool's lack of resolve and leadership after Dwight Gayle's equaliser was alarming. Former Reds defender Jamie Carragher was scathing as he accused Liverpool of lacking leadership and being "bullied and weak". 

Monday: Vote of confidence?

Monday came with word from inside Anfield that there was no immediate pressure on Rodgers's position - surely the correct course of action given what he had almost delivered not so long before.

The prizes on offer, not least financially, and the penalties for defeat inevitably apply pressure more prematurely, but the idea of Rodgers being anywhere near losing his job at this stage of the season - barring a meltdown of epic proportions - would rank close to knee-jerk.

If producing the sort of football Liverpool did under Rodgers last season, so much inspired by the departed Luis Suarez, cannot put credit in the bank then it is hard to know what will. Apart from trophies, of course.

It seems the Fenway Sports Group is holding its nerve. And rightly so.

Tuesday: Grob-smacked

Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet was likened to Dracula by Bruce Grobbelaar

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar joined the debate, with verbal shots fired in the direction of Rodgers and his struggling Belgian goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Ahead of the Champions League game with Ludogorets in Bulgaria, Grobbelaar's verdict on Rodgers was: "If he doesn't do anything in another three weeks, I think the owners could do something about it."

Not exactly balm for morale and confidence but flying in the face of the messages coming from the club.

Bruce Grobbelaar: Simon Mignolet is the problem at Liverpool

If Rodgers thought this was harsh, he was almost showered with praise compared to Mignolet, who was on the receiving end of unequivocal criticism from one of his predecessors.

"I was slaughtered last year by Liverpool fans saying I was too harsh on him," said Grobbelaar. "I'm not being too harsh on him. Not at all.

"I likened him as worse than Dracula because at least Dracula comes out of his coffin every now and then. He seems to stay on his line and that's it."

At least it was a twist on goalkeepers being called Dracula because they were afraid of crosses.

Quite how Grobbelaar would have reacted at being rinsed so publicly by one of his predecessors is anyone's guess (very badly would be most people's guess) but things would get worse for the Belgian before they got better.

Wednesday: Late woe at Ludogorets

There was a measure of vindication for Grobbelaar when Mignolet fumbled for Ludogorets' opening goal, and Liverpool's deficiencies at set-pieces saw them concede a late equaliser, but goals in between from Lambert and Jordan Henderson saw the Reds earn a 2-2 draw.

Not a glorious chapter in Liverpool's European history but the rot was stopped and defeat would only have tightened the pressure valve still further.

Thursday: Relief at last

_79398120_rodgers_ludogorets_getty.jpg

Liverpool have their Champions League future in their own hands going into the final group game

Rodgers and his players returned from Bulgaria and were able to assess a Champions League position that almost ranks as a best-case scenario from a series of largely undistinguished performances in Europe this season.

Away defeats by Basel and Real Madrid, a narrow win at home and a draw at Ludogorets and a heavy home beating against the holders - and yet they have their Champions League future in their own hands going into the final group game against the Swiss at Anfield.

As they and the likes of Manchester United have found in the past, Basel do not respect the Premier League reputation, but a win at Anfield in front of The Kop on 9 December will put Liverpool into the knockout phase. More than they deserve? Maybe. Settle for it? Definitely.

Friday: Realistic Rodgers on sack race

Logic suggests the idea of Rodgers losing his job so soon after nearly winning the league is ludicrous, but he accepts the risks involved with Premier League management.

Ahead of Saturday's game with Stoke City he said: "A few months ago I was manager of the year, now I'm favourite to get the sack. It's part and parcel of this wonderful life of working in football."

Rodgers was actually third-favourite with most bookmakers but his admission was a stark reminder that victory is the only medicine that can treat the pressure inflicted on a Premier League manager.

Saturday: Gerrard on the sidelines

_79398944_rodgers_gerrard_getty.jpg

Brendan Rodgers says he "felt quite bad" for dropping Steven Gerrard on the 16th anniversary of his debut

The front cover of Liverpool's match programme was adorned with 11 pictures of captain Steven Gerrard and the words "16 sensational years", celebrating the anniversary of his first-team debut as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers at Anfield.

So it was not perfect timing that Rodgers chose to drop Gerrard to the bench, admitting later he had been unaware this was a landmark day for the 34-year-old.

It was telling, and a sign that more must come from Liverpool's summer signings, that £87m worth of those purchases sat alongside Gerrard in the shape of Dejan Lovren (£20m), Alberto Moreno (£12), Emre Can (£10m), Adam Lallana (£25m) and Lazar Markovic (£20m).

It was an indictment of the club's summer transfer policy, and the lack of impact the players have made since arriving at Anfield following the £75m sale of Suarez to Barcelona.

With the game goalless after 75 minutes and Liverpool searching for a breakthrough, who did Rodgers call on? Yes, Gerrard.

A timely victory and timely goal

Victory over Stoke ended a run of four league games without a win - their worst run under Rodgers since a five-game winless streak in his first five games at the club.

Defender Glen Johnson's goal was his first in the league since December 2012, ending a run of 58 league appearances without a goal.

The roar of celebration and relief that rang around Anfield following the winner was an illustration of how important this victory was for Liverpool and their manager.

Rodgers insisted Gerrard was left out with a nod to a busy schedule, but this may still be seen as an important moment - when he no longer counts as an automatic choice. He still has enough in his weaponry to make key contributions but the day has arrived when he requires careful management.

As for Mignolet, he felt the frustration of Anfield when he was loudly ordered to speed up when taking goal-kicks, but he also produced two crucial saves from Stoke's Bojan Krkic, the second a flying, fingertip save deep into seven minutes of stoppage time from a brilliant volley.

So at the end of a week of turmoil, the keeper left Anfield with a smile and Rodgers, at least for now, will be free of questions about the security of his job.

It is surely no more than he deserves after the rapid progress of last season.

I do hate the notion that it's somehow unreasonable to bemoan the fact your form has plummeted despite spending enormous amounts of money. Our problems weren't created by the footballing gods, but by oirselves, and getting pissed off at that is very fair comment.

• Upvote 4

The truth about Brendan Rodgers falls somewhere in between 'the guard of honour' and 'favourite for the sack.'

All his faults(our defensive failings) and strengths(quality attacking play) were still there in April and May when chasing the title. The major difference is that he was given a massive transfer chest in the summer and the players are either,pure crap so far or sitting on the bench. This is the main dynamic which has changed and he cannot complain too much considering most managers would kill for the transfer budget he had.

I have to say that I think our spending,although stupidly OTT on individuals,was pretty decent and I expect most to come good.

Ironically,it may take another manager to get the best out of Rodgers transfers.

According to The Times, Liverpool's owner FSG (Fenway Sports Group) are weighing up their options and have asked Villas-Boas to provide details of his coaching methods.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/544668/AVB-Rodgers-Liverpool-managerial-plans

Can someone do a cut and paste of The Times article. 

It's only Duncan Castles. Wouldn't take much notice.

The truth about Brendan Rodgers falls somewhere in between 'the guard of honour' and 'favourite for the sack.'

All his faults(our defensive failings) and strengths(quality attacking play) were still there in April and May when chasing the title. The major difference is that he was given a massive transfer chest in the summer and the players are either,pure crap so far or sitting on the bench. This is the main dynamic which has changed and he cannot complain too much considering most managers would kill for the transfer budget he had.

I have to say that I think our spending,although stupidly OTT on individuals,was pretty decent and I expect most to come good.

Ironically,it may take another manager to get the best out of Rodgers transfers.

Fair comment.

In his favour, I think that Brendan has shown he can be a good coach, but that is very different from buying and putting a team together.

It is in all of our interests that Brendan makes what he has work better. If he were to go, on current form, we would take a massive hit on the resale values of the players he has bought.

Fair comment.

In his favour, I think that Brendan has shown he can be a good coach, but that is very different from buying and putting a team together.

It is in all of our interests that Brendan makes what he has work better. If he were to go, on current form, we would take a massive hit on the resale values of the players he has bought.

Is he even a good coach though?

Last season was just sturridge and suarez hitting top form, nothing to do with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last season was just sturridge and suarez hitting top form, nothing to do with Rodgers.

Come off it, I'm a big critic of Rodgers but credit where credit is due, strikers can't just score because they're good players, our approach play was out of this world at times and confidence was high.

Rodgers has got definite strengths but he should have had more time to iron out his considerable weaknesses before being given a job where so much is at stake.

The next four fixtures will tell us much. I think that all four teams will score at least once, can Brendan either outscore the opposition, or shut down our defence?

Basel are a far more experienced CL side than us in recent years. We need to win, all they need to do is hit us on the break.

Away to a Bournemouth side flying high in the Champ, scoring lots of goals, but conceding them too, at a tight noisy ground on a cold December night will certainly test our character.

Both the Mancs and Arsenal have the firepower up front, but leave the back door open, can Brendan take advantage of that?

Once we are beyond that the run of fixtures is soft. If Brendan can do well in those four games, I think that FSG will allow him to dabble again in the January window. If he does badly, it could be a long cold winter.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Once we are beyond that the run of fixtures is soft. If Brendan can do well in those four games, I think that FSG will allow him to dabble again in the January window. If he does badly, it could be a long cold winter.

Soft, we've just had a run of soft games and how did that one go. 

Burnley(A), I'll give you that one we might do well there. Then Swansea (H), which won't be easy. Leicester (H) you know that team that we struggled with until they went down to 10 men. Sunderland (A) again, that team we just played that we could' score against at home, oh and Villa (A) who beat us at home and West Ham (A) who are flying high and beat us away.

There's only one thing soft here and that's your head. The first four are within 15 days. 

I doubt he'll make it to the new year myself. Of course I hope we win them all, batter the mancs and destroy Arsenal like we did last season. When the mythical beast they call Sturridge arrives back it will solve all of our problems, won't it.

Soft, we've just had a run of soft games and how did that one go?

Two wins, a draw, and a defeat.

Relatively speaking, I think it is a soft run, but if you are playing badly, there are no easy games.

I share your scepticism about Brendan's prospects overall, but think that he will have the season pretty much whatever happens.

Soft, we've just had a run of soft games and how did that one go. 

Burnley(A), I'll give you that one we might do well there. Then Swansea (H), which won't be easy. Leicester (H) you know that team that we struggled with until they went down to 10 men. Sunderland (A) again, that team we just played that we could' score against at home, oh and Villa (A) who beat us at home and West Ham (A) who are flying high and beat us away.

There's only one thing soft here and that's your (xerxes') head.The first four are within 15 days. 

I doubt he'll make it to the new year myself. Of course I hope we win them all, batter the mancs and destroy Arsenal like we did last season. When the mythical beast they call Sturridge arrives back it will solve all of our problems, won't it.

Aint that the truth. He'll just spin his previous comments into something else though. Oh, I see he already has!

We'll be lucky to get 5 points from our next 4 games and if the pressure wasn't too bad before it will be immense by then because we'll probably be in the bottom half with 19 games played. If they have any chance of getting top 4 then we need to beat both Utd and Arsenal in these next games, it's as simple as that, they are supposed rivals , we can't afford any more ground lost against them.