You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Bowie, sorry, La Roux, sounding good on the John Peel stage. Bit of a guilty pleasure is La Roux, the weird David Bowie looking bint.

Semi interesting fact, her mam is June Ackland from The Bill.

Kanye West

What the Fuck's this all about?

I might be an old fart, but I don't see the appeal of today's rap superstars, they are vastly inferior to the godfathers of rap I grew up with in the late 80's, early 90's. Kanye West is just not in the same ballpark as the likes of Public Enemy, NWA/Dr Dre/Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Warren G. It's like comparing Sterling to Johnny Barnes (yes I went there), ridiculous. I have been forced to switch over and watch fucking Suede.

• Upvote 1

Father John Misty was indeed very good earlier.

Now watching George Clinton with his Mothership Returns. They are boss. Killing the Sly & The Family Stone stuff. Even better is that they are playing Rotterdam for free next month. Get in.

Where is George Clinton on? I can't find him.

I have enjoyed some shit so far though, Motörhead, Mary J Blige, Super Furry Animals, some bits of Rudimental and Mark Ronson were boss, Hot Chip and Gaz Coombes all very good, and tomorrow is my strongest day with The Who, Weller, Belle And Sebastian, The Chemical Brothers and The Fall all appearing.

Semi interesting fact, her mam is June Ackland from The Bill.

I might be an old fart, but I don't see the appeal of today's rap superstars, they are vastly inferior to the godfathers of rap I grew up with in the late 80's, early 90's. Kanye West is just not in the same ballpark as the likes of Public Enemy, NWA/Dr Dre/Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Warren G. It's like comparing Sterling to Johnny Barnes (yes I went there), ridiculous. I have been forced to switch over and watch fucking Suede.

I agree with what you're saying to a point, although really you only need to put Public Enemy and NWA in your list since that also covers Dre and Ice Cube. Snoop is boss but Dre had heavy input into his best stuff too.  Even so, saying someone doesn't compare to what are two of the defining standards for the entire rap genre is hardly saying they're shite.  It's like saying a guitar band is shite because they aren't as good as the Stones and The Beatles.

Also he's not really in the same market to begin with.  Don'rt get me wrong he comes across as a pure tit a lot of the time but when he isn't  busy dissing Taylor Swift and inventing leather jogging pants, he's a genuinely talented and insightful artist.  Not all of his stuff is to my taste but that doesn't mean I can't recognise it's good.

I saw a boy called Gregory Porter before doing a song called Hey Laura before and it was fucking sublime.

I like it when you get a nice wee shock like that.

great song that.  

He's got a voice like a melted Topic running down the thighs of an ubermilf.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what you're saying to a point, although really you only need to put Public Enemy and NWA in your list since that also covers Dre and Ice Cube. Snoop is boss but Dre had heavy input into his best stuff too.  Even so, saying someone doesn't compare to what are two of the defining standards for the entire rap genre is hardly saying they're shite.  It's like saying a guitar band is shite because they aren't as good as the Stones and The Beatles.

Also he's not really in the same market to begin with.  Don'rt get me wrong he comes across as a pure tit a lot of the time but when he isn't  busy dissing Taylor Swift and inventing leather jogging pants, he's a genuinely talented and insightful artist.  Not all of his stuff is to my taste but that doesn't mean I can't recognise it's good.

I just can't listen to modern rap mate, it's mostly awful, I was saying the same when Jay Z headlined, and the less said about Eminem, the better. I did like the bit of stuff they showed of Pharrel before Kanye's show started. I guess I'm one of those who doesn't believe Kanye West deserves to headline our premier music festival.