You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup 2014

Been a while since I've seen Di Maria play that poorly. He kept giving the ball away cheaply but he wasn't alone in that regard. Argentina stepped it up a little after Messi's goal but they still didn't get out of 3rd gear. In tournament play though, I guess it's best to improve as the tournament goes on while still picking up the results you need.

Been a while since I've seen Di Maria play that poorly. He kept giving the ball away cheaply but he wasn't alone in that regard. Argentina stepped it up a little after Messi's goal but they still didn't get out of 3rd gear. In tournament play though, I guess it's best to improve as the tournament goes on while still picking up the results you need.

Aguero was equally bad. As was Messi for large parts. He certainly needed that goal...

The foreign pundits seem much more informative and balanced than the British ones, not hard when the British ones include Rio Ferdinand and Ian Wright. Here's Rio saying the England Physio should have 'man up" and run off his injury, the mans a fucking idiot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10900939/World-Cup-2014-Rio-Ferdinand-apologises-for-telling-England-physio-Gary-Lewin-to-run-off-dislocated-ankle.html

I wasn't at all impressed by the Argies today. Bosnia played like a Pulis team sure but that first goal was pure bad luck in my opinion. Messi, for whatever reason, just doesn't do as well for Argentina as he does for Barca for me. That said, his goal tonight was world class.

There's an article on the BBC website about the "confusion" caused by the goal line technology decision, with all of Pat Nevin, Luis Suarez and Deschamps saying that the decision was confusing, worrying etc.

I really don't see the point they're getting at. There were two stages when there could have been a goal. The technology made two separate adjudications, one from the initial shot (no goal decision) and one when the keeper knocked it across the line (goal decision).

It was all rather straightforward. Utterly ridiculous that this issue is deemed as newsworthy and it doesn't warrant any sort of debate.

• Upvote 1

There's an article on the BBC website about the "confusion" caused by the goal line technology decision, with all of Pat Nevin, Luis Suarez and Deschamps saying that the decision was confusing, worrying etc.

I really don't see the point they're getting at. There were two stages when there could have been a goal. The technology made two separate adjudications, one from the initial shot (no goal decision) and one when the keeper knocked it across the line (goal decision).

It was all rather straightforward. Utterly ridiculous that this issue is deemed as newsworthy and it doesn't warrant any sort of debate.

Thought the same thing on the live viewing, first shot was clearly not in and but the rebound crossed the line.

I missed this game while at work. What seems to be the issue with the tech and Pearce?

If a gk makes a save and then walks the ball over the line, goal, no?

Basically it had two decisions to make - one when the ball hit the post which it correctly flashed as NO GOAL, and the second when the ball came off the keeper and crossed the line which it correctly flashed as GOAL. The goal was alerted to the ref who gave it. What Pearce didn't grasp is that the tv then shows both decisions in sequence. So when it initially flashed no goal he got all wet in his underpants and was banging on about a mistake, only for the footage to continue and show the second decision.

He then stated banging on about how the Germans were upset by England's goal in the 1966 World Cup, and how the system was a German system and not the one in the PL. I've no idea where he was going with that particular conspiracy theory.

Basically, the man made a fool of himself because he kept banging on about a controversial second goal when there was nothing controversial about it. 

• Upvote 1

Basically it had two decisions to make - one when the ball hit the post which it correctly flashed as NO GOAL, and the second when the ball came off the keeper and crossed the line which it correctly flashed as GOAL. The goal was alerted to the ref who gave it. What Pearce didn't grasp is that the tv then shows both decisions in sequence. So when it initially flashed no goal he got all wet in his underpants and was banging on about a mistake, only for the footage to continue and show the second decision.

He then stated banging on about how the Germans were upset by England's goal in the 1966 World Cup, and how the system was a German system and not the one in the PL. I've no idea where he was going with that particular conspiracy theory.

Basically, the man made a fool of himself because he kept banging on about a controversial second goal when there was nothing controversial about it. 

That was really annoying. Making a big deal over nothing. Typical fucking woman. 

I wasn't at all impressed by the Argies today. Bosnia played like a Pulis team sure but that first goal was pure bad luck in my opinion. Messi, for whatever reason, just doesn't do as well for Argentina as he does for Barca for me. That said, his goal tonight was world class.

Sabella got it wrong tactically in the first half. His intention was to fill the midfield and have his full backs provide all the width. While Rojo is quick and gets forward well, as does Zabaleta of course, they shouldn't be the main wide attacking outlets but rather supplement the players in front of them. Di Maria was playing too centrally and while he's more than decent on the left of a midfield 3, he's not so good when tucked in too much. The system also negated Maxi's effectiveness because it provided him no opportunity to do what he's very good at, which is running into spaces between defence and midfield and occasionally beyond his forwards. The system made the players too static.

Sabella changed it for the second half by adding an attacking focal point in Higuain plus a distributor in midfield in Gago. He already had 3 top quality outlet balls in Messi, Aguero and Di Maria, but the change in set-up allowed them more space, more control of the match and an uplift in tempo and movement and as a result, we saw more of what they can do. It was still no more than a 3rd gear performance though.

Pearce is a turbo mong.

I remember when he used to do the games on channel 5 and Robbie Fowler scored in a European away and the beaut was calling him 'The Growler'

Prowler wasn't it?

He's a spaz alright he should stick to robot wars screaming about Sgt Bash ripping a hole in a shoebox with wheels whilst some nerd cries

• Upvote 1

Prowler wasn't it?

He's a spaz alright he should stick to robot wars screaming about Sgt Bash ripping a hole in a shoebox with wheels whilst some nerd cries

Too loud, too fat, too thick and too ignorant to anywhere near the WC

If the tournament has exceeded expectations in terms of the football then then the standard of punditry and commentary has plumbed new depths of shiteness . Only Henry and Seedorf can claim to have been insightful and added to the experience .

Pearce IMO has been the worst of a dreadful selection of utter know nothing twats . The fact that he displays his ignorance by deafening his audience puts him firmly in the lead for the 'most irritating twat of the tournament award'

His attempt to grasp what happened in the goal-line incident last night was pathetic . He failed in his primary function of explaining to the viewer what was going on . As it happened most people quickly worked it out for themselves and then were treated to spectacle of the stupid fuckwit wrestling with sequence of events for ages afterwards. An epic fail and he should be quietly tapped on the shoulder by the BBC and told to fuck off

Henry's looked stoned all week. I'd seriously worry about him driving home.

Between the two channels they've got some decent commentators and pundits. If they put together Matterface, Dixon, Lineker, Chapman, Keown, Seedorf, Murphy and a couple of others they'd have something half watchable.

Thanks much!

Not sure who the co-commentator (ex-pro?) was in the game between Ecuador and Switzerland but just after the Ecuador goal he commented on the striker who had scored saying he must be really good if he is keeping Jackson Martinez out of the team.  

The fact that Martinez is Colombian seemed to have eluded him.  To think these numptys are getting paid.....

Not sure who the co-commentator (ex-pro?) was in the game between Ecuador and Switzerland but just after the Ecuador goal he commented on the striker who had scored saying he must be really good if he is keeping Jackson Martinez out of the team.  

The fact that Martinez is Colombian seemed to have eluded him.  To think these numptys are getting paid.....

Clarke Carlisle.