You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Newcastle (May 11 2014)

WhiskeyJar

I really hope that City don't draw.  If they have to win it I hope it's with 86 points so that game against Palace doesn't mean anything.  If we have to look back this summer and realise that we were 0-3 up against Crystal Palace with 15 minutes to hold on to win the league, that will be rough.

Obviously first preference would be that City lose so we can win the title, but if that doesn't happen I hope they just win their game and spare us the what ifs.

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson returns to the squad after serving a three-match ban following his sending off against Manchester City.

Manager Brendan Rodgers has no fresh injury concerns after Monday's draw with Crystal Palace.

Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse has been ruled out for several months after having knee surgery.

Davide Santon is also injured, while Adam Armstrong is on international duty with England Under-17s.

MATCH PREVIEW

Sometimes this old game of ours is all about perceptions. Liverpool may be resigned to not winning the title, but nobody would argue that they haven't had a great season. Brendan Rodgers' men look certain to finish second in the league - having been seventh last season - a climb of five places which is quite an achievement and enough to make Rodgers a contender for manager of the year.

Meanwhile Alan Pardew is suffering in the eye of a Geordie storm, trying to maintain his dignity and a grip on his job under the incredible pressure being poured on him from all angles.

Newcastle will finish the league in ninth, or at worst 10th, that will be either six or seven places higher than last season. Now, I'm not pretending that Newcastle's season has been anything other than traumatic, but you see what I mean about perceptions?

Liverpool will be desperate to finish well, with a big win worthy of the kind of aggressive, attacking play which has characterised a season in which they are likely to pass 100 league goals.

They'll also be hoping against hope for some sort of dramatic news from Eastlands, and maybe even a favour from West Ham collectively and from Anfield cast-off Andy Carroll in particular, which even the most rabid Hammer would admit is not the surest foundation on which to build your dreams.

Where to start with Newcastle's lament and the seemingly irreconcilable divide between those who run the club and those who support it…?

Black and white shirts flogging pay-day loans,

Kinnear making Tyneside a no-buy zone,

Their one decent striker only there on loan,

Cabaye's bye-bye, the Gallowgate groan.

A trickle of goals running almost dry,

Stressed-out fans walking out on 69,

A head-butting manager's head on the line,

And just five wins since Boxing Day - you've got to ask, why?

Poetry in motion they ain't. And, fear not, in future I'll stick to commentary.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Liverpool haven't lost at home to Newcastle for 20 years. They are unbeaten in 18 league matches since a 2-0 defeat in 1994.
  • They have scored three goals in four out of the last five times they have played Newcastle at Anfield.
  • In 39 Premier League meetings between these sides, there has never been a goalless draw.

Liverpool

• Liverpool have only picked up a point from their last two matches after collecting a maximum 33 from their previous 11 games.
  • Tottenham are the only side in the top eight who have conceded more goals (51) than Liverpool (49) in the league.
  • Liverpool need one more goal to break the 100-goal barrier in the league this season. Chelsea hold the Premier League record, scoring 103 in 2010.
  • Luis Suarez needs one more goal to surpass the Premier League scoring record of 31 goals in a 38-game season, currently held by Cristiano Ronaldo and Alan Shearer. The last time a Liverpool player scored 32 league goals was Ian Rush in 1983-84.
  • Between them, Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge have now scored 51 league goals this season. Only one partnership has scored more Premier League goals in a season - Newcastle's Andy Cole and Peter Beardsley (55) in 1993-94.

Newcastle

• Newcastle have won just one of their previous seven league matches away from home.
  • They have only recorded one victory in their nine matches against the current top five this season. That was a 2-0 win over Chelsea at St James' Park.
  • The last time the Magpies won their final match of a Premier League campaign was in 2005-06, when they beat Chelsea 1-0 at home.
  • They have lost all 13 of their league matches this season when they have been losing at half-time - the worst record in the division.
  • Loic Remy has scored in four of his last seven Premier League games.

It's gone, lads.  As they emerge from the tunnel the faces of the West Ham players  will resemble those of the rebels at the start of Episode IV, as the Star Destroyer that is Man City approaches.   Toure, Aguero, David Sliva, Nasri and Dzeko all on board ready to swat them aside as if it were a light training session.  We're done for.  

It's gone, lads.  As they emerge from the tunnel the faces of the West Ham players  will resemble those of the rebels at the start of Episode IV, as the Star Destroyer that is Man City approaches.   Toure, Aguero, David Sliva, Nasri and Dzeko all on board ready to swat them aside as if it were a light training session.  We're done for.

The first 20 minutes are crucial, if west ham keep them out it will be a nervy afternoon for city.

City showed no mercy to whu in the semis of league cup when whu had an injury crisis and stopped them getting to a final, west ham players should remember this and want to stop city winning a trophy like they did to west ham.

Ah fuck it it's been a great season one to be proud of....

Besides the weather is shite today, when we win the league I want to go the match on a glorious Sunday in T shirt and jeans sun on me back and then go out on the piss till late in the night standing outside bars...not freezing me tits off. ......me bitter no siree....

We need to get ahead early, and hope West Ham can shut them out for a while. Then they will be getting updates at the Etihad and hopefully it creates an unsettling atmosphere that transmits to the players, thats our only hope for me.

Come on big Andy you will never have to buy a drink in Liverpool again if you can pull this off.