You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Malaysian Boeing 777 goes missing

Red Banjo

With the exception of pilot suicide, other theories credibly and expertly disproved.

I'll watch it and then comment, but I think pilot suicide is just totally irrational. There's just no way a suicidal person would go to those lengths to ultimately crash a plane. Also, when he was disabling the transponders you'd think the co-pilot or cabin crew might have twigged.

I'll watch it and then comment, but I think pilot suicide is just totally irrational. There's just no way a suicidal person would go to those lengths to ultimately crash a plane. Also, when he was disabling the transponders you'd think the co-pilot or cabin crew might have twigged.

My guess is, if this theory is correct, he went to these lengths so his family would still receive insurance payouts.

Regarding the transponders etc, I'm not qualified enough to comment.  I'm not sure what your background is but I would be happier to defer to qualified experts in this area.  It seems it is very easy to turn off the transponders, possibly / probably after he locked his co-pilot out of the cockpit.

Watch it and see what you think, I think it is very well done.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the transponders etc, I'm not qualified enough to comment.  I'm not sure what your background is but I would be happier to defer to qualified experts in this area.  It seems it is very easy to turn off the transponders, possibly / probably after he locked his co-pilot out of the cockpit.

Transponders are outside the cockpit and were turned off within no time of the plane leaving Vietnamese airspace.

Oh I don't care really. I'm not going to solve the mystery on here am I!

My guess is, if this theory is correct, he went to these lengths so his family would still receive insurance payouts.

Watch it and see what you think, I think it is very well done.

If someone had the 'decency' to think about financial payout, I doubt they'd knowingly wipe out 150 people. The problem being, it's harder to predict the behaviour of someone who is mentally unwell.

It isn't uncommon for pitot tubes to become iced up on any flight - they clear themselves within sixty seconds. It must be horribly disorientating but that was still pilot error - one pilot pulled up, the other down and the pilot pulling up was doing the exact opposite to correct an aerodynamic stall. The captain only realised the problem about 2000 feet above the sea when it was sadly too late to correct the stall.

Then I suppose its going to be pilot error pretty much all the time if not being trained well enough to fly while being given multiple incorrect readings and faults.

The Qantas incident a few years back showed how an experienced crew of three,one an instructor if i remember correctly? Can avoid a disaster if well trained.

Guest davelfc

First time I've actually seen the 'facts' as they stand put forward.

Given this and the recent co-pilot actions on that GermanWings flight it's a lot easier to accept that the pilot (or co-pilot) did something to the plane. Let's assume the pilot did as they said in the documentary, he knew they'd have very little chance of finding the wreckage and even less of recovering the black box.

I'm still puzzled as to why he would have done it, they will have been through his life with a fine tooth comb as well as the rest of the crew. 

I'm not buying the 'shot down' conspiracy. It does like like someone intentionally sent the plane on a one way trip to splashville. 

The only possible reason for doing this might have been to kill someone on the plane, easier ways to do that than this though. 

First time I've actually seen the 'facts' as they stand put forward.

Given this and the recent co-pilot actions on that GermanWings flight it's a lot easier to accept that the pilot (or co-pilot) did something to the plane. Let's assume the pilot did as they said in the documentary, he knew they'd have very little chance of finding the wreckage and even less of recovering the black box.

I'm still puzzled as to why he would have done it, they will have been through his life with a fine tooth comb as well as the rest of the crew.

I'm not buying the 'shot down' conspiracy. It does like like someone intentionally sent the plane on a one way trip to splashville.

The only possible reason for doing this might have been to kill someone on the plane, easier ways to do that than this though.

There are some stories floating around that the co-pilot was very much linked to the leading opposition party in Malaysia. Apparently there was some ruling around the time of the incident which was bad news for them and their prospects of gaining power (or something to that effect). The story goes that this may have been some attempt at making a big political statement. Crazy but plausible I suppose.

I have just watched that documentary. I think it's okay, but very sketchy on detail (such as how complex disabling the ACARS System is) and just draws a lot of lazy comparisons. All it really achieves is ruling out some kind of accident.

Okay, so I was talking to a pilot last night and he said that it's actually really easy to turn off ACARS and the transponder without leaving the cockpit. He said that neither are infallible either and that ACARS does sometimes turn itself off. He doesn't claim to know the answers, but whenever I have read about ACARS it's been claimed that it is very difficult to manually turn it off.