You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

United can buy Mata, they'll still struggle with Moyes.

I just don't get this sentiment LFD.  Obviously they are not performing as well as they normally do however they are only 6 points behind us with their 2 best players due back from injury soon.  Also Moyes, while he is a twat has led Everton to finish above us in the last 2 seasons with much more limited resources.

Mata signing for them from our point of view would not be good news.

As for us we desperately need to bring in 2 or 3 new players to move us forward and hopefully a top 4 finish.  I really fear the consequences should we not qualify for CL football next season.

I just don't get this sentiment LFD.  Obviously they are not performing as well as they normally do however they are only 6 points behind us with their 2 best players due back from injury soon.  Also Moyes, while he is a twat has led Everton to finish above us in the last 2 seasons with much more limited resources.

Mata signing for them from our point of view would not be good news.

As for us we desperately need to bring in 2 or 3 new players to move us forward and hopefully a top 4 finish.  I really fear the consequences should we not qualify for CL football next season.

They were poor even with their two star players.  Obviously the more quality players you have, the better chances you have of success.  But Moyes inherited a title winning side and they are really struggling, I don't see Mata transforming them.  Their main problem is the manager, not the players.

I also am more concerned about what we do and sign, not them.

Mata talks going well for United.

So  our main rivals for a top 4 spot are buying themselves into Top 4 while we are sitting and masturbating.

We'll have only Ayre and FSG to blame if we screw our Top 4 challenge this season.

Fuck me but you're a boring, agenda ridden cunt.

So tell me, oh enlightened one, how far along are United's talks with Mata? And who have our rivals for the top 4 bought?

• Upvote 3

Ha!

They're looking to strengthen their squad by getting rid of Costa? Genius.

We'll have only Ayre and FSG to blame if we screw our Top 4 challenge this season.

Or Rodgers and the committee for not finding the right players to sign.  FSG don't find the players.  

Also I think Rodgers has to get his tactics right, for us to finish top four as well - something he got wrong against Villa, for example.

• Upvote 1

They were poor even with their two star players.  Obviously the more quality players you have, the better chances you have of success.  But Moyes inherited a title winning side and they are really struggling, I don't see Mata transforming them.  Their main problem is the manager, not the players.

I also am more concerned about what we do and sign, not them.

If they are struggling what we are we doing then? 

Yep they did win the title but that was due to Ferguson and Mancini making a mess of City. Plus it is an ageing squad on a downward slope.

Come may i still reckon they'll be competing for a top 4 place.  Unless Arsenal fold 4th place will be between 4 clubs and its too close to call right now.

Given we have arguably the best player in the world right now why aren't we higher up, why aren't the rest of the team feeding off Suarez's performances and elevating their game too?

You are absolutely right though about concentrating on ourselves and not worrying about the opposition.  Problem is we don't seem to be doing much and no reports as yet of us looking to strengthen our weakest areas - hopefully we are doing a lot of hard work on the quiet. Our abysmal defending will cost us if it isn't properly addressed.

• Upvote 1

If they are struggling what we are we doing then? 

Yep they did win the title but that was due to Ferguson and Mancini making a mess of City. Plus it is an ageing squad on a downward slope.

Come may i still reckon they'll be competing for a top 4 place.  Unless Arsenal fold 4th place will be between 4 clubs and its too close to call right now.

Given we have arguably the best player in the world right now why aren't we higher up, why aren't the rest of the team feeding off Suarez's performances and elevating their game too?

You are absolutely right though about concentrating on ourselves and not worrying about the opposition.  Problem is we don't seem to be doing much and no reports as yet of us looking to strengthen our weakest areas - hopefully we are doing a lot of hard work on the quiet. Our abysmal defending will cost us if it isn't properly addressed.

I don't get your first sentence, we are ahead of them - so we are not struggling as much as they are.

Why aren't we higher?  We would be if we got some of the ref decisions which were wrong against us in matches vs Everton, Chelsea and City away.  

We might have the best player sin the league, but it is about the best team.  Spurs had the PFA player last season and they didn't get top four either.

Moyes has done a really poor job.  They need more than Mata to paper over the cracks.  

Why haven't we signed a DM?  I don't know, I hope we will do soon.  I'm not sure Rodgers would have signed one, but now Lucas is injured surely he has to. 

Mata reeks of another panic buy to me.

He's the Spanish Nick Barmby. A better player, but is system dependant. Not a winger, not a striker. A support striker, deeper lying.

United play 4-4-2. Can't see them dropping Rooney or Van Persie, so he'll either be a squad player, or will get played as a left midfielder in a 4-4-2, a position he's rarely, if ever, played in.

They need to improve elsewhere first. Overpaying to, in my opinion.

• Downvote 1

Do united just play 4-4-2.  I don't particularly watch them much.  Howver should they sign Mata then a first choice team in a 4-2-3-1 looks very good.  Carrick and Fletcher/Fellani in CM, Rooney/Mata/Jumaji as AM and Van Persie up top.  They can then ditch the under performing wingers of Young, Nani & Valenica and use welbeck and hernadez as impact players.  I hate them but thats decent

Do united just play 4-4-2.  I don't particularly watch them much.  Howver should they sign Mata then a first choice team in a 4-2-3-1 looks very good.  Carrick and Fletcher/Fellani in CM, Rooney/Mata/Jumaji as AM and Van Persie up top.  They can then ditch the under performing wingers of Young, Nani & Valenica and use welbeck and hernadez as impact players.  I hate them but thats decent

They'll still have Moyes on the sidelines.

• Upvote 2

Mata talks going well for United.

So  our main rivals for a top 4 spot are buying themselves into Top 4 while we are sitting and masturbating.

Just like they bought Fabregas in the summer. They do this every window.

Sorry didn't spot that someone had already posted that.

Edited by index1000

One thing that is infuriating to me, is that why are we not bidding for Mata?

For the first time in years we are level, arguably ahead of United in terms of what we can offer. 

We can offer an almost guaranteed starting place as Mata is much better than any of our options to play in the number ten role. The size of the fee would mean that he'd be a first choice too.

Also from Matas perspective Rodgers style of football would suit him a lot more than Moyes would, and we are in a better position to be in the Champions League next year too.

The main reason that we should be doing this though is to at least hike up the price that United pay, or if we did actually get him it would make a massive statement of intent and show that we are on the up, and United are on the way down.

Signing Mata could well be the lift that United need. 

• Upvote 1

Alex Song, M'Vila, Fernando. I don't think there's too many excuses nit to bring somebody in.

Fernando was approached apparently and wasn't interested. As for the other two, I'm not sure about Song but you'd think if we really were interested that we'd have a great chance of getting M'Villa; the fact that we haven't so far suggests that Rogers doesn't see it as necessary. I have heard interviews were he has pretty much dismissed the notion of a big, midfield destroyer (when he was over here pre-season). That set the alarm bells ringing to be honest, but then he's done well thus far. The injury to Lucas means that even if he sees a midfield three of Gerrard behind Allan and Henderson, we still need another body in there. So maybe that "doesn't see it as an issue" now becomes a "didn't see it as an issue until Lucas got injured". It's been apparent that midfield could do with upgrading for a while now (as decent ad we've been this past twelve months), but I genuinely haven't seen any acknowledgement of that from anything Rogers has said or done. I like and have faith in the guy, but like you i just don't see too many excuses for not bringing somebody in this window.

One thing that is infuriating to me, is that why are we not bidding for Mata?

For the first time in years we are level, arguably ahead of United in terms of what we can offer.

We can offer an almost guaranteed starting place as Mata is much better than any of our options to play in the number ten role. The size of the fee would mean that he'd be a first choice too.

Also from Matas perspective Rodgers style of football would suit him a lot more than Moyes would, and we are in a better position to be in the Champions League next year too.

The main reason that we should be doing this though is to at least hike up the price that United pay, or if we did actually get him it would make a massive statement of intent and show that we are on the up, and United are on the way down.

Signing Mata could well be the lift that United need.

Because he's 40 million pounds and we can't afford him.

We need a more mobile version of Lucas... like... seriously...

I want Mata(or Mata type player, sure) but it'd be a luxury.

Granted, our attack would be like Bayern/Barca scary with Mata in the ranks.

Bayern in attack and Blackpool in defence

• Downvote 1

If Brendan doesn't want or rate out and out destroyers that is his prerogative but he has got to go out this transfer window and bring in a CM he DOES rate because an injury to Allen, Henderson or Gerrard (and frankly that is more likely than not) we are going with a 2 man midfield for the rest of the season. Maybe Brendan feels he can get away with a centre back in midfield.