You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In some ways yes and in others no

What I mean by this is Pepe obviously has ability but he hasn't shown his true quality for a long time and has a times been a complete liability, we have other roles where we probably don't have the required quality we need to be where we want to be but at the same time these players probably wern't costing us as many points as an out of sort Pepe was

I remain hopeful that we will also address these issues, I'm not sure if we will as I'm still pretty much on the fence with regards to FSG although perhaps we already have done to an extent but no-one really knows what we're going to get with Aspas and Alberto yet so hopefully we'll bring in some more proven quality to give us that extra cushion

Maybe it will be a case of you don't know what you had until it's...but I can see your point. Although I'd have kept him, he's a class keeper, well, especially for an outlay which could have gone to other areas.

I'm completely baffled, if we are paying half Reinas wages plus mignolets we are probably spending more on wages for the gk position then we were last season and we have also payed 9m.

I like Rodgers a lot and have supported ayre but there handling of this can't be defended, unless we have 100m to spend before the Suarez move this is inexplicable.

Give player big pay rise

Loan him out a year later

LFC - the FSG way

It is a terrible deal, but hardly a new 'FSG thing'.

We have been doing this sort of shite with transfers for 2 decades now.

Remember Kirkland and Dudek signing on the same day because, by chance, both deals had come off, even though by all accounts one was supposed to happen if the other did not?

It is simply a continuation of a long tradition.

So...

Reina's form is poor for at least a season and a half.

He openly flirts with Barca for months on end via his dad/agent/whoever else.

His form improves when it looks like they are going to make a move for him.

He flirts with them some more.

Valdes decides to stay and Barca decide they aren't going to move for him until next summer.

He comes out and says that he wants to stay here.

We decide that we can probably do better than a 'keeper with dubious commitment who is only playing out time until he gets his dream move, and we sign Mignolet.

Everyone involved realises that it's going to be best for Reina to move.

The player only wants Barca and there are no other offers, so he goes on loan to Napoli, alleviating our wage bill and allowing him playing time in a World Cup year.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

I can't help but think this is similar to the Kuyt situation, where we could've probably got more but ultimately settled on allowing a loyal player to move on very good terms.

It's weird, but then it could mean something else is in the pipeline that depends on taking a chunk off the wage bill. It was odd packing Sahin off after six months, but it seemed linked to getting Coutinho in

So...

Valdes decides to stay and Barca decide they aren't going to move for him until next summer.

We decide that we can probably do better than a 'keeper with dubious commitment who is only playing out time until he gets his dream move, and we sign Mignolet.

The player only wants Barca and there are no other offers, so he goes on loan to Napoli, alleviating our wage bill and allowing him playing time in a World Cup year.

Voice of reason....

So...

There is no guarantee barca will come in for him next season, and even if this is the case we have other areas which need to be strengthened and reinas and mignolets transfers could have waited till next summer.

So...

He was some way back to his best in the 2nd half of last season.

So what if he wanted to leave does that justify the club's decision to accept a loan deal for him?

I'll answer that for you - no, it doesn't.

It is simply a continuation of a long tradition.

How come all us plebs know / and have criticised all the shit decisions of the past few years, in great numbers and on numerous websites………………… but those within the hierarchy of Liverpool don’t…

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We've spent £9m on a worse keeper and given the better one away.

When we don't have that much money.

Please can someone explain to me how this is a good deal? I need a laugh!

Worse as in better? Reina has been a shadow of himself for the past three seasons, bar a month or two at the end of last season.

He was some way back to his best in the 2nd half of last season.

So what if he wanted to leave does that justify the club's decision to accept a loan deal for him?

I'll answer that for you - no, it doesn't.

Hence my comment about his form improving when it looked like Barca might be in for him. The same way we saw Torres' performances magically improve when he got the word from Chelsea.

As to your second point, do you think there was a better offer on the table? Do you think keeping him here on £110,000 a week, not playing, would have been the smart move?

There is a very strange logic going on here. Apparently FSG are only interested in slashing the wage bill and penny-pinching, yet they have decided to accept a deal where we pay half of his wages just because they like getting screwed over in the transfer market.

Makes loads of sense, that.

Worse as in better? Reina has been a shadow of himself for the past three seasons, bar a month or two at the end of last season.

Give over.

He was excellent from January without debate (even TP agreed so no one else can argue) and was better for the whole season than Mignolet.

To sum up but this time with facts -

Reina signs new contract in Aug 2012

Rodgers speaks glowingly all season long about Reina and his importance to the team.

Reina is linked with Barca

Rodgers 'consults' Reina about the signing of Mignolet.

We move early and sign Mignolet.

Reina to Barca falls through.

Napoli loan Reina for the season.

There's your cost cutting exercise gone wrong. You FSG boys can take that to the bank.

No Reina was good 3 years ago and Mignolet played for Sunderland so that means he is worse

Yeah, a lot of people seem to still be seeing the Reina of 3/4 years ago for some reason. Very strange. Reina wasn't even as good as Brad Guzan last season and yet Mignolet (widely acclaimed as one of the top 2 or 3 in the league) is apparently a downgrade.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Give over.

He was excellent from January without debate (even TP agreed so no one else can argue) and was better for the whole season than Mignolet.

I think he was very good from March. Still, that's not really enough to erase the last three years. We went for another keeper, who is young and has been flying for the last two seasons.

I love Reina - my username means 25 in Spanish - and I hope he recaptures his form and has another 5/6 years at the top. However, we shouldn't pretend this is a downgrade just because he's a fan favourite.

I'm sure mignolet is getting at least 50k so we ain't saving on wages and we have spent 9m of our transfer budget, more then we have spent on any other player.

I have no doubt Reina would have played with 100% commitment if he had been kept and we could have signed mignolet after we actually sold Reina.

If reinas been playing bad as you say what happens if that continues at Napoli? His value goes down, we end up selling for shit fee and paying off his wages.

If we go in to next season with any position that could have been improved on then this is bad business, but then again even if we get players 9m on top would get you better one.