You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

We've been discussing the Suarez saga all afternoon' date=' I've expressed my opinion some pages back.

You come here late night to post "well done Rodgers" and to sarcastically ask me to write my opinion on the issue. I've done that. How about you, do you even have an opinion, or do you just wait to read news and reactions to say well done this, fuck you that?[/quote']

Well done this, fuck you that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fucking hell. I wasn't expecting to come on here and see all the praise for Rodgers. I read it before bed last night, thinking it'd get the usual 'Brentisms' comments.

It takes time for somebody to become a leader. You can be in charge, but becoming a leader is something you become when people choose to follow you. He's only been here 12 months, but I think people are starting believe his vision for the team.

Who'd have thought it'd take something like this for fans on here to rally behind the manager?

Everybody is praising Brendan for his echo interview which at first look appears pretty awesome. He says all the things us fans want to hear and does it to perfection.

Then you look at it again and maybe something about it hits you and you realise that he now has a perfect reason he can use if need be to offload Suarez to any club at any price' date='

Is that being cynical? well it might be but then again if you look back at how this whole thing has panned out then maybe it isn't.

The first couple of interviews Brendan gave over Suarez he dosent say a lot and then he done a echo interview. That interview was done in a totally different way to the other interviews, He mentions Arsenal s bid and then says something that never needed saying. He says it would take around £50 million to buy him and in the same sentence says but that dosent matter as he isn't for sale.

There began the Luis Suarez auction complete with starting bid or buy now bid. The other strange thing here apart from giving a price and saying he isn't for sale , he dosent say we wouldn't sell him to Arsenal anyway.

From that moment on at every possible opportunity him and Ayre have spoken about Suarez mentioned the Arsenal bid and mentioned he isn't for sale.

Arsenal then offer the £40 million and 1 pound bid . There is still no mention about not selling him to Arsenal, That came after a few days when it became clear that Arsenal would not pay more for him. Then we get the we wont sell to Arsenal statement.

What it dosent say is another English club.

Still the interviews keep coming and prices being thrown around and the he isn't for sale. It s pretty obvious we will sell him as he never stops talking about him .

The place we get to is right now ,

No other club has come for him and only arsenal have but we have said we wont sell him to them . The last Suarez interview happened on the day that John Henry just happens to come and watch the team play. He hasn't been here for 13 months and appears to watch us play a friendly game in Norway.

Coincidence Suarez does that interview on the same day to.

Now that Suarez has all but killed his chance to play in front of us again he has also given the club the perfect reason for them to sell to any club they want , Arsenal included for any price.

Do I think we will sell him to arsenal? well I don't think so but the club do want to sell him that's obvious and now they have a perfectly good reason they can use to sell him to them without appearing to of been lying about he isn't for sale daily quote.

It is going to be very interesting to see how all this turns out.[/quote']

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!?

We've been discussing the Suarez saga all afternoon' date=' I've expressed my opinion some pages back.

You come here late night to post "well done Rodgers" and to sarcastically ask me to write my opinion on the issue. I've done that. How about you, do you even have an opinion, or do you just wait to read news and reactions to say well done this, fuck you that?[/quote']

My opinion on this is all over the forum. Suarez is an arsehole, his increasingly desperate attempts to extricate himself from the club are finally removing the scales from the eyes of his staunchest supporters, and the club is playing this absolutely correctly. We cannot allow any player to attempt to bully the club. Suarez's behaviour is entirely on keeping with his character. A great footballer, but a cunt of a man.

So what's your opinion of the latest events Nightcat? What do you think of Rodgers' latest response? Are you impressed?

Everybody is praising Brendan ....etc

A good post in full.

I agree that the chances of a sale have increased, not dininished, as a result of King Brenny's statement.

What is important is that the emphasis has been shifted fom a player wanting to leave,to a player being sold.

Everything has changed. The fans won't be behind him now. Even if he stays, and does well, the feeling will linger that it is with a view to a next summer move, not to help LFC.

A good post in full.

I agree that the chances of a sale have increased' date=' not dininished, as a result of King Brenny's statement.

What is important is that the emphasis has been shifted fom a player wanting to leave,to a player being sold.

Everything has changed. The fans won't be behind him now. Even if he stays, and does well, the feeling will linger that it is with a view to a next summer move, not to help LFC.[/quote']

Suarez is trying to force the club to sell him. The club will be more than happy to see the back of him if the right offer comes in. Some will see this as a convenient excuse for the club to offload him and take a big bag of cash. Some will still try to blame FSG for this situation, which essentially puts them in the same boat as Suarez.

Guest davelfc

Who'd have thought it'd take something like this for fans on here to rally behind the manager?

Whoa there with the champagne, nobody has had any epiphanies just yet. Suarez has angered a lot of fans with the way he has handled this and the club have at least in public, said the things you would expect them to say.

I don't think he will stay, I think the club have to sell him now. But we now get in to the old battle of words to get as much as we can as quickly as we can.

Generally the fans are of course behind Rodgers, he is our manager and we want him to do well. I obviously side with him on this because Suarez is being a shit. We are however only part way through this turmoil. Who will he go to, what price and how will that money be spent. They are now the points that interest me, not the battle of words.

I like the way the club have handled this so far, however words mean very little when they are not followed up. Remember the storming press conference where Rodgers came out fighting for Suarez after the ban and media reaction to the bite. Then the white flag being raised shortly after by the club.

So yes, good on Brendan for his latest comments, it will be results and purchases that win people over. If the premiership was won on words alone then I'd be backing us for the title.

I will miss Suarez, the little tricks and some of the antics he performs. I won't miss the continual shit storm he brings although it would be interesting to see how the media handle him when he isn't playing for us.

Guest davelfc
I'd be very surprised if it won you over.

No, results will win me over. If I want to see great verbal performances I will buy a season ticket to the theatre.

No, results will win me over. If I want to see great verbal performances I will buy a season ticket to the theatre.

Hard to argue with that Dave. I personally can't wait for the season to start. I see us standing like greyhounds in the slips, straining upon the start. The game's afoot.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, results will win me over.

Like I said, I doubt it. I think you'll find something else that's imperfect, moan about that, then when that's sorted you'll find something else. You're the anti-matter embodiment of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I suspect you might spend your family holidays in Purgatory.

Guest davelfc
Hard to argue with that Dave. I personally can't wait for the season to start. I see us standing like greyhounds in the slips, straining upon the start. The game's afoot.

Yeah the Suarez thing is an annoying distraction. If we handle it well, use the money wisely then it could be a blessing in disguise.

I've not watched nor taken much interest in any pre season games. I decided to go old school, where the results of pre season where only even mention inside the back few pages of the Echo and usually only the scoreline. Avoiding here for a few weeks helped.

I'm optimistically pessimistic about the season, or is that pessimistically optimistic. Ok, there's a glass that has 50% beer and 50% air. Now let's see what we can do when it matters.

Guest davelfc
Like I said, I doubt it. I think you'll find something else that's imperfect, moan about that, then when that's sorted you'll find something else. You're the anti-matter embodiment of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I suspect you might spend your family holidays in Purgatory.

Naah we couldn't afford Purgatory, plus it's too hot there. Better than 'happy clappy land' which is where some people seem to spend their life.

I'm someone that surprisingly judges people on their actions, not words (forums excepted). Until this club is back where it belongs then I will continue to 'moan' about it. You might find the ignore function helpful.

Luis Suarez quotes Martin Luther King

Luis Suarez quotes Martin Luther King

08-08-13

FOOTBALLER Luis Suarez has delivered an impassioned speech inspired by history’s greatest orators.

Standing on the steps of Anfield, the striker deftly interwove the finest moments of Martin Luther King, President Kennedy and Nelson Mandela.

He said: “I have a dream that one day Merseyside, sweltering in the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

“Only free men can negotiate. Prisoners cannot enter into contracts, and I am an unwilling prisoner of my misplaced belief that Liverpool could qualify for the Champion’s League.

“You should ask not what you can do for your club, but ask your club what it can do for you.

“And so I say to you, Pharoah, let my people go!”

The player then launched into a high-spirited rendition of The Special AKA’s (Free) Nelson Mandela, with the South African leader’s name replaced by Luis Suarez. He was joined by surprise guest Wayne Rooney, who provided improvised toasting about the horrors of slavery and every man’s need to be free.

Neither man has yet submitted an official transfer request because it would mean losing their loyalty bonus, which the Premier League has confirmed is to be renamed the Irony Bonus.

Quizzed on how he would react to Liverpool allowing him to talk to other clubs, Suarez said: “I will shout ‘Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I am free at last.’ And then I will sign a six-year contract with my new club.”

An ailing Nelson Mandela, on hearing his words had been quoted by a footballer, told his family: “I am ready to die now.”

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I think the club have played an absolute blinder in finding ways to convince the fans that the player has to be sold. I remember that Ayre email from a couple of months ago, which the club strenuously denied came from him, but the language of it looked rather convincing to me. If the verbal assurance was given to Suarez last summer about CL football, which I have no doubt it could have been, then the club will have known that they would need to find a way of making the Suarez sale a necessity in the eyes of the fans and to make him the villain of the piece. Suarez of course makes this incredibly easy for them to do given his controversial nature and given that he can't keep his mouth shut, and never has been able to, such is the Latin way! I'm not defending him as in my opinion, like the club, he's said far far too much in public, and it has become increasingly frustrating to see. But we're not privy to what conversations have been had in the background last year and this year, so who knows what's been going on and who knows what the club really wants? It all comes down to what you want to believe as a fan because you'll never have access to all the real facts. As a fan you're really just a pawn in this PR game whose opinion can be manipulated like a puppet on a string. In all the quotes from both player and club you see how they are framing the argument in a way to suit their own agendas, but the club has been much more effective at it, which is not a surprise to me given their business and experience of dealing with public perceptions.

What I hate most about all of this is the fact that our footballing business is being played out across the media, who are loving every moment of it. The club have certainly become a much slicker propaganda machine in the last year and are using the media to their advantage. This might not be a bad thing in many fans eyes, but for me I really yearn for the days when all this happened behind closed doors. Rodgers talks about integrity, well if he did say that Suarez could go if we didn't obtain Champions League and if the spirit of the phrasing in Suarez' contract suggests that the club would let him go under certain circumstances, then just let him go! It strikes me as that clause in the contract was put in there as a guarantee to the player - which suggests to me certain conversations were had. The club know there would be a huge fans backlash if they were to sell their best player so they've had to manoeuvre opinion and they've done it superbly.

Yes I might be a cynic, but I've seen this type of propaganda many times before and I've seen many people lap it up too. It's human nature.

Suarez has to be sold, he also should be playing in the CL. We can't offer him that and in his eyes there is little prospect of us being able to offer that. Overall, it is probably better for him to be off our books as we don't know how to handle his unpredictability and there is no point in keeping an unhappy player. Just get rid of him now, if it has to be to Arsenal so be it - he won't be achieving his ambitions there if he wants to win things. In terms of giving them a competitive advantage, I just don't see it. I don't think we're good enough to compete for CL anyway, so for me at least, that's a non starter. In any case, our focus, Brendan's focus, should be on being better than the best team in England not the 4th best team! You see how easy it is to persuade people that we just need to be better than Arsenal? A few years ago we were talking about challenging for the Premiership title, now we're talking about mounting a credible challenge for 4th place and the fans are very happy with that kind of talk!

Talk is easy, results are not.

Guest davelfc
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I think the club have played an absolute blinder in finding ways to convince the fans that the player has to be sold.

Provided the money is spent on improving the team, then we have to accept that world class players might want to win things and our club will want the best price it can possibly get for them. Until we can get back to where we belong expect this circus every transfer window.

If you look down the league at the other teams, they are so used to the bigger teams picking off their best players that it hardly registers with them. That used to be us picking them off, now it is happening to us and has been for a few seasons.

The next few years will cement our position of feeding on or being fed on. I know which one I would prefer.

Provided the money is spent on improving the team, then we have to accept that world class players might want to win things and our club will want the best price it can possibly get for them. Until we can get back to where we belong expect this circus every transfer window.

If you look down the league at the other teams, they are so used to the bigger teams picking off their best players that it hardly registers with them. That used to be us picking them off, now it is happening to us and has been for a few seasons.

The next few years will cement our position of feeding on or being fed on. I know which one I would prefer.

Agreed. Let's hope Brendan is building that something special.

A good post in full.

I agree that the chances of a sale have increased, not dininished, as a result of King Brenny's statement.

Everything has changed. The fans won't be behind him now. Even if he stays, and does well, the feeling will linger that it is with a view to a next summer move, not to help LFC.

I disagree with ST on this. I don't think the emphasis has shifted at all. Suarez has now publicly stated, to the Guardian, that he wants to leave to play CL football. This has come from the man himself, not hearsay, not journalist speculation. Suarez's words. I don't know how that can be interpreted in any other way or why your and ST's position seeks to place the responsibility for the move on the owners and Rodgers. Suarez is not being pushed out the door by the club. Rather, it is the player running headlong at full speed through an open window.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Naah we couldn't afford Purgatory, plus it's too hot there. Better than 'happy clappy land' which is where some people seem to spend their life.

Happy clapping? What, like you were about Carroll and about how good the team was during Kenny's last season? I guess the club was where it 'belonged'.

I'm someone that surprisingly judges people on their actions, not words (forums excepted). Until this club is back where it belongs then I will continue to 'moan' about it.

Ah, yes, standards. Moaning on a forum is certainly the driving force for a renaissance. Strange that you were complaining about those moaning yourself not so long ago, just as we were signing the likes of Downing, Adam, and Carroll, and you were talking about 'brighter future' we now had to look forward to. Yet you wanted this manager sacked after just a few months in charge. Future doesn't seem enough for you now. I wonder why that is.

You didn't seem to have such high standards for the side in the season we finished 8th. The future was enough then, but it's not enough now. This club doesn't 'belong' anywhere. Success is built and earned, not demanded and given.

You might find the ignore function helpful.

Dave, you're the one who replied to me. You were telling me to stop replying to you yesterday. I've no intention of putting anybody on ignore. I can handle disagreement, you seem to get really irritated by it. It's just a forum.