You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

Jsims if we sell Suarez for 55 million would you like to be a couple of world class players at market rate wages or buy 9, 6 million buys on low wages or just put it in the bank for the future in case we make mistakes.

I'd buy 3 players for around 20 million each. The main reason for this is because i have faith in our manager to spend the money on good players.

It also depends on how long the manager really does have. If he is assured of his position i would go down the youth route. I'd buy the best young players going, sure it would be hit and miss and some would not work out.

But if i had 2-3 seasons i would get it right and the group/squad asa whole would move forward together.

We would also benefit as a club because word would spread that we give youth a chance and play attacking football.......meaning the next batch of youth would be very interested to join.

It really is a good long term plan.

Shit i just noticed your point about Carroll

Hahhahahahahahahaa

They set the price?

Did they fuck!

They hired Commolli to negotiate and kenny identified the target. They sanctioned it as they had two people in place who knew far more than they did about football, players and fee's

Dont kid yourself that they bought carroll

Dont make me fucking laugh.

They got burnt and tried to do everything they could to stop it. Bring in a guy who has done transfer business and deal all around the world, bring in a manger who is a true legend of the game and the club.....

What more could they do than trust them?

Dont even come with any shit here, fsg had fuck all to do with the wasted money that summer.......apart from providing it.

John W Henry: Andy Carroll purchase was a 'hell of a deal' - ESPN FC

John W Henry has explained Liverpool's decision to spend a British record transfer fee on Andy Carroll, revealing he strictly stipulated that the Reds pay £15 million less than they received for Fernando Torres.

Andy Carroll Liverpool

GettyImages

Andy Carroll: Was always going to cost £15m less than Fernando Torres

• Henry praises Dalglish and Anfield

• Carroll: I'll justify price tag

• Torres couldn't wait for Reds revival

• Chelsea v Liverpool: Preview

• Rafa: Torres could have cost £70m

• Luis Suarez interview

Liverpool have come in for criticism after lavishing £35million on Newcastle to bring the unproven Carroll to Anfield but Henry said the size of the fee was not a concern as it was always factored in to negotiations with Chelsea.

"The fee for Torres was dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll,'' Henry told the Guardian, explaining they simply wanted a difference of £15million.

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle. Those prices could have been £35million [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20million [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35. It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost. They [Newcastle] made a hell of a deal. We felt the same way.''

I'd buy 3 players for around 20 million each. The main reason for this is because i have faith in our manager to spend the money on good players.

It also depends on how long the manager really does have. If he is assured of his position i would go down the youth route. I'd buy the best young players going, sure it would be hit and miss and some would not work out.

But if i had 2-3 seasons i would get it right and the group/squad asa whole would move forward together.

We would also benefit as a club because word would spread that we give youth a chance and play attacking football.......meaning the next batch of youth would be very interested to join.

It really is a good long term plan.

It's not unless you are buying really good players for the first team, too. While we're waiting on the youngplayers to fulfil their potential, the players that have fulfilled their potential will want to leave as we aren't getting close to winning things. We'd be in a constant cycle of rebuilding.

What does this prove?

At what point in that article or anywhere in the world does it say they signed Carroll?

They sanctioned the signing, they were good owners and trusted the people around them. They did what people at the top should do.....they delegated responsibility.

They had no clue how good or bad the player was, that was commolli and kennys job...a job they fucked up on.

Would it have been wise to keep giving managers money, or maybe trying not to get burnt again?

They must be fucking stupid FSG......why the fuck havent they spent another 75 million, they only got fucked over once....so what hey?

What does this prove?

At what point in that article or anywhere in the world does it say they signed Carroll?

They sanctioned the signing, they were good owners and trusted the people around them. They did what people at the top should do.....they delegated responsibility.

They had no clue how good or bad the player was, that was commolli and kennys job...a job they fucked up on.

Would it have been wise to keep giving managers money, or maybe trying not to get burnt again?

They must be fucking stupid FSG......why the fuck havent they spent another 75 million, they only got fucked over once....so what hey?

I said they set the price. John Henry said so.

It's not unless you are buying really good players for the first team, too. While we're waiting on the youngplayers to fulfil their potential, the players that have fulfilled their potential will want to leave as we aren't getting close to winning things. We'd be in a constant cycle of rebuilding.

The young players are the first team. The first team has massively under achieved and was largely full of shit, over paid, established "stars"

We have nothing to re-build as we have won fuck all and only challenged for the league once in 23 years.

Stop kidding yourself that we are letting the first team "decay" because there is no fucking first team, and there was no system or transfer policy until Rodgers came here.

Re-building suggests we had something before, well 2008 was a long long time ago now.....

I said they set the price. John Henry said so.

They did not phone newcastle up and say "we want to pay you 35 million"

what fucking world do you live in mate?

commolli agreed the fee and they said "are you sure this guy is worth it"

Kenny and commolli agreed and FSG trusted people with more knowledge than them.

Brendan Rodgers interview at Melbourne - YouTube

Towards the end of the interview Rodgers talks about speaking to suarez and says it will remain private. My take is situation as as we know, suarez has told Rodgers he wants to leave and Brendan is saying he wont go unless our valuation is met.

Thanks, looks like he's still off when the right bid comes in.

They did not phone newcastle up and say "we want to pay you 35 million"

what fucking world do you live in mate?

commolli agreed the fee and they said "are you sure this guy is worth it"

Kenny and commolli agreed and FSG trusted people with more knowledge than them.

There's no point talking to you. Henry said he wanted to pay 15m less than they got for Torres. He did.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

There's no point talking to you. Henry said he wanted to pay 15m less than they got for Torres. He did.

We offered significantly less than that to begin with. He didn't want to pay 15m less, he wanted to pay at least 15m less.

What does this prove?

I think the club who knew Torres wanted out but they thought it would be the end of the season and not in the January window. The Chelsea offer even by the timing of it happening at right at the end of the window suggests the club didn't expect it then.

We offered £25 or £30 million first to Newcastle and they said no and we went back with the £35 million offer.

You would presume we had identified Andy as the player who we wanted to buy when Torres was expected to leave at the end of the season. But with it all happening before then we would of known we would probably pay more for him and that would explain why the first bid was as high as it was.

Have wondered what would of happened if we offered say £15 or £20 million first bid and then upped it by £5 million if we would of still got him. They knew the money we had to spend and would of known we would go higher than the first bid but I am not to sure the first bid should of been as high as it was.

I already told you there's no point talking to you.

Final question:

Who identified Carroll, downing adam and henderson as targets?

You cant answer that because it makes your whole argument fall down.

People need to get off FSG's back and realise what the fuck went on. They tried to spend big and got burnt, spending big again would have been just pure stupidity.

I'm glad they didn't.

Didn't Spurs have a 25M bid refused ?

Not to sure to be honest but I thought only we went for him. What I think would of happened at the end of the season and us having been able to do a proper scouting job on him is , we wouldn't of gone for him.

I don't think we had done a proper scout report at the time as it would of been crystal clear he didn't want to leave.

You could be right about the Spurs bid as I think we went £30 million as first bid.

I think the club who knew Torres wanted out but they thought it would be the end of the season and not in the January window. The Chelsea offer even by the timing of it happening at right at the end of the window suggests the club didn't expect it then.

We offered £25 or £30 million first to Newcastle and they said no and we went back with the £35 million offer.

You would presume we had identified Andy as the player who we wanted to buy when Torres was expected to leave at the end of the season. But with it all happening before then we would of known we would probably pay more for him and that would explain why the first bid was as high as it was.

Have wondered what would of happened if we offered say £15 or £20 million first bid and then upped it by £5 million if we would of still got him. They knew the money we had to spend and would of known we would go higher than the first bid but I am not to sure the first bid should of been as high as it was.

Yep thats what happened. I also heard we bid 30 million for Llorente but it was turned down so we went for Carroll (not sure how true that is though)

The thing is they hired two guys who should have known it was bad business. Once they hired those guys, they had to back them and they did.

None of this is thier fault, they tried to get the best people in that they could. The fans wanted Kenny and we got him. What would have happened if kenny said i want Carroll and if FSG said "35 million is way to much....no way"

If the fans had found out about that they would have gone crazy

So they spent the money, found out it was the worst bit of business ever conducted in football, added to the lack of value in henderson & downing, and thought "hmmmmm what the fuck has happened here"

If ou were a millionaire and you spent 70 million on those 3 and found out what they were worth 12 months later......what would you do?

Only a fucking looney would continue to spend spend spend after getting burnt so bad.

We offered significantly less than that to begin with. He didn't want to pay 15m less, he wanted to pay at least 15m less.

I seem to remember John Henry talking about transfers and saying something about they would pay what they thought a player was worth. I understood that to mean if they thought a player worth £20 million then so be it. It looked a bit odd and a strange way to do transfers.

It s only when you think back to who we bought and the prices paid and you start to think that is actually what we done.