You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Does Rodgers deserve another season?

Yes he should be given another year, if he can find 2-3 players of coutinho's and sturridge's quality this summer then we can push for 4th next year. I'm not expecting us to get 4th, but if we challenge right to the end of the season that would show progress.

His future will be decided in this summer and january transfer window and what impact those signings make. But i like Rodgers style of play and the philosophy he has, he's also excellent with the media which is a bonus.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago code was arguing that goal difference was the real pointer to how good a team was.

I have no problem with an opinion, it's when it's written as fact that I get fed up.

I said goal difference usually is a better indicator than points on a teams real level.

We finished 5th on goal difference and with better tactics and set up we should have finished inside the top 4 both on goal difference and points.

I think the question is too broad for the narrow set of answers listed.

I don't think he "deserved" to be on the shortlist, interviewed or offered the job in the first place. I also think this season has been an astonishing failure; by far the worst of this century and it's totally unacceptable that it was effectively over on January 27th, or actually over on February 21st. I don't think Rodgers has done a bad job, particularly after being shanghaied by the owners throughout the summer - but having said that, I don't think he's doing a good job either, and I have no faith in his ability to deliver what I consider success in the long term.

That said, there is obviously a wider context. If one takes the club's rhetoric at face value - and for the sake of argument, I will, here - this season is part of an incremental process. There is also the established principle of giving the Liverpool manager time to adequately shape the team, unless his tenure has proved a disaster and Rodgers is far from that. In fact, in terms of shaping the team, I have been largely impressed with how he's had the players adapt, the way he's modified his initial plans and the work he has done in the transfer market is as good as we've had in over 5 years.

Any discussion of the manager's future also has to take into account what happens next, if you do get rid of him, as the best interests of the club are what we're all concerned with. From that prospective, I would be very worried about removing Rodgers, despite my indifference to him. After sacking one of the most highly decorated managers in the history of British football last season, our selection process yielded two candidates; one is the manager I don't think should have been given the job and the other just got relegated from the league. To me, it is flatly inconceivable that the criteria used to determine that Rodgers and Martinez were the right choice, had their managerial ability as the most important factor. To that end, who FSG may pick as Rodgers' successor is cause for genuine alarm. We would just be restarting the process with the manager drawing ire, while the people with real power - who our captain publicly condemned last night, by the way - escaped criticism thanks to the domestic façade they've created.

POTY

We had alternatives to Suso and Sterling, Rodgers just did not use them, something you agreed with and you even tried to ridicule those with better knowledge who said we should play the better players in Downing and Henderson.

So basically our manager ruined our season by not playing our better players instead he tried to win popularity by playing to the crowd and ignoring the most criticised players among the less knowledgable part of our fanbase.

Imagine playing scrabble against you. Making up words as you go and using a dictionary you wrote to prove those words were real. It must be a barrel of laughs in cloud frode land. Where fact is fiction and fiction is fact.

Deluded.

He gave said players a kick up the arse by playing younger players and basically letting everyone know that no player was guaranteed their position. Each player needed to work harder and up their game. And most responded. That's good management and he deserves great credit for it. He's given valuable PL experience to young lads who can only want to experience it more and more. Onwards and upwards.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We had alternatives to Suso and Sterling, Rodgers just did not use them, something you agreed with and you even tried to ridicule those with better knowledge who said we should play the better players in Downing and Henderson.

So basically our manager ruined our season by not playing our better players instead he tried to win popularity by playing to the crowd and ignoring the most criticised players among the less knowledgable part of our fanbase.

Your lack of knowledge is legendary. You're in no position to talk about anyone's knowledge, because you have so little yourself. The issue I had was you saying Downing was the reason for our upturn. It's not. Obviously.

Do you want to answer the question now, cuntface.

This has to be one of the most conclusive polls we've ever had on TLW.

You're right, but it's not an indictment of Rodgers per se, its the recognition that we have an extremely volotile recent history with management; we didnt go backwards.

Maybe it wouldn't matter who the manager is, the poll would still reflect fans wishes for stability.

Maybe a second poll to get percentages on "why" fans voted "yes" would get to the heart of the matter.

Code's thought process "97% of the forum think Rodgers should stay for another year, so i'll say Rodgers is shite and should be sacked. I'll also state Kenny would of got more points in the league, without any evidence, and claim that as absolute fact"

I swear Code you form your opinions based on the exact opposite of what the common consensus is. Case in point the europa league thread where you slated Rodgers for refusing the fair play route into europe. After Rodgers came out and said he'd take the europa league place you slated him some more.

I said goal difference usually is a better indicator than points on a teams real level.

We finished 5th on goal difference and with better tactics and set up we should have finished inside the top 4 both on goal difference and points.

Code - your one for stats but this is the most important stat of the season. 2nd half of last season we got 18 points (36 points is relegation form); 1st half of this season we got 25 points (50 points is mid table form); 2nd half of this season we've got 36 points (72 points is CL form).

Throw in the additional points we should have got from most of our draws (eg City 2 x, Reading, West ham, Stoke, Sunderland etc) and we should be looking at 80 points next season.

Lots of other nice stats as well to confirm the entertaining football we've played this season eg most shots at goal.

Full credit to Rodgers.

Oh so kenny's still taking training then?

Whatever Rodgers does in training has helped both players you idiot.

Suarez obviously works on his finishing more

And Gerrard has been put on a special training regime like agger

Its ALL DOWN TO THE MANAGER because he makes these decisions.

You know in detail what finishing training Suarez does and how it differs from last season?

The improvement in his goals scored tally is definitely "ALL DOWN TO THE MANAGER"?

It couldn't possibly be that it's a simple fluctuation in form where strikers have seasons where they score more than in others?

If every difference in performance from last season is "ALL DOWN TO THE MANAGER", then you'll have no problem laying the blame for Skrtel's poor season at Rodgers' door then?

Rodgers has had a decent first season, but let's give praise only where it's due and not indulge in speculation and exaggeration.

Code - your one for stats but this is the most important stat of the season. 2nd half of last season we got 18 points (36 points is relegation form); 1st half of this season we got 25 points (50 points is mid table form); 2nd half of this season we've got 36 points (72 points is CL form).

Throw in the additional points we should have got from most of our draws (eg City 2 x, Reading, West ham, Stoke, Sunderland etc) and we should be looking at 80 points next season.

Lots of other nice stats as well to confirm the entertaining football we've played this season eg most shots at goal.

Full credit to Rodgers.

You could have added a load of points on last season if you're going to go down that road.

How about we just give Rodgers credit for the positive stuff that actually happened rather than inventing positives.

You know in detail what finishing training Suarez does and how it differs from last season?

The improvement in his goals scored tally is definitely "ALL DOWN TO THE MANAGER"?

It couldn't possibly be that it's a simple fluctuation in form where strikers have seasons where they score more than in others?

If every difference in performance from last season is "ALL DOWN TO THE MANAGER", then you'll have no problem laying the blame for Skrtel's poor season at Rodgers' door then?

Rodgers has had a decent first season, but let's give praise only where it's due and not indulge in speculation and exaggeration.

I know what i see with my eyes

Vast improvements in many players games.

Its got less to do with "fluctuation of form" and more to do with the style and system we play, it helps give attacking players room to operate.

You think every player is capable of performing in a system that relies heavily on technique and decision making? Skrtel just hasnt got that in his locker thats why he struggles in Rodgers system.

To think Rodgers can make any player he wants adapt to his methods is sheer idiocy

Its only speculation when you ignore what is in front of you for 50+ games, that is 4500 minutes of football.....by now you should be able to see whats happening in front of your eyes

Bit of both isn't it? Suarez gets credit for improving, manager gets credit for setting the team up to get the best out of him. Same as Skrtel. Rodgers obviously hasn't got the best out of him but also Skrtel has to take personal responsibilty for his performance.

It's not an achievemant to 'tear apart weaker opponents'.

Are you for real?

Yes I'm for real. It's how united forces weaker teams to focus on defense while playing them and in the end, united still win by a small margin with no worries that the other team might launch an attack and expose their weak defense.

I'm sure Norwich were piss scared when they faced us the second time this season but we still ripped them apart while making them look like players who had the word attack removed from their dictionaries. Same applies to the rest of the teams that we ripped apart this season.

You're right, but it's not an indictment of Rodgers per se, its the recognition that we have an extremely volotile recent history with management; we didnt go backwards.

Maybe it wouldn't matter who the manager is, the poll would still reflect fans wishes for stability.

Maybe a second poll to get percentages on "why" fans voted "yes" would get to the heart of the matter.

As I've said I'm yet to be convinced he's the man for the next 5-6 years, but basically my "why" is, he needs the opportunity to show whether the upturn in form in the second half of the season, with the excellent January transfer window followed by better results, is the start of an upward trend, or a typical "pressure is off so let's start playing" that we were accused of in Kenny's half season (although I think had we had a better summer window following that, spending the money better and keeping Meireles etc. that would have continued). Or even in Rafa's title challenge season, when we began to start twatting teams once we were seemingly out of it and ended up falling just short.

In 12 months time, if we've had another season like this one as a whole, it would probably be time to make a change providing we could get a more proven manager in. If we've had two half seasons like the last half season, then he stays for me.

Your lack of knowledge is legendary. You're in no position to talk about anyone's knowledge, because you have so little yourself. The issue I had was you saying Downing was the reason for our upturn. It's not. Obviously.

Do you want to answer the question now, cuntface.

I said Downing and Henderson should start, not that they were the reason for our upturn as we had none at the time I said it because Rodgers kept on playing inferior players.

Poor you, another name change coming up soon or what?

Just fuck off, fuck off, fuck off. Oh did I say, fuck off. Absolute meff.

I voted yes because, far from being as knowledgeable as some on here, I like to think I possess a bit of common sense.

How can a man who improves 9 points and a place in the league, buys some excellent players (albeit some questionable ones too) on a not unlimited budget, is young with bright ideas, has us scoring record numbers of goals and, somewhat surprisingly, keeping a high number of clean sheets be considered for the sack?

This thing about him talking too much is pure drivel as well. The most he could be accused of is being a little too bullish on ocassion, hardly a crime. I think the way he has handled himself and spoke about the club this year, and let's not forget with the developments on Hillsborough it has required the utmost sensitivity and good words, have been on the whole immaculate.

Of couse let's reassess in a year but, for now, of course we keep him.