You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Does Rodgers deserve another season?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

proud to be one of the very few who voted for him before his appointment .....needs to add bit more depth,power and goals over next 2 seasons and then we may do the unthinkable.......win this league without major financialpower.

keep going brendan lad........were a great team to watch now

I think it's important to assess how WE are getting on rather than how we are getting on compared to the rest of the league.

There are so many positives to take from this season compared to last, the ups have been far higher than they've been in ages which shows to me that we can actually be good when we want to be.

Consistency and steel is clearly where we're missing. I hope we sign a big old ugly bastard to play centre half or centre midfield to give us a bit more balls.

Ideally we need a young souness.

Every decent team needs a young souness to be fair

I know what i see with my eyes

Vast improvements in many players games.

Its got less to do with "fluctuation of form" and more to do with the style and system we play, it helps give attacking players room to operate.

You think every player is capable of performing in a system that relies heavily on technique and decision making? Skrtel just hasnt got that in his locker thats why he struggles in Rodgers system.

To think Rodgers can make any player he wants adapt to his methods is sheer idiocy

Its only speculation when you ignore what is in front of you for 50+ games, that is 4500 minutes of football.....by now you should be able to see whats happening in front of your eyes

Ah, right. So this is the only season Skrtel has had to make decisions defensively? Didn't have to make any decisions when having a very good season last year? Or for 2 seasons under Rafa?

Skrtel's form oscillates between very good and poor on an almost seasonal basis. That may have had just as much influence than whether he can adapt to the new system. You are simply speculating. Again.

Bit of both isn't it? Suarez gets credit for improving, manager gets credit for setting the team up to get the best out of him. Same as Skrtel. Rodgers obviously hasn't got the best out of him but also Skrtel has to take personal responsibilty for his performance.

Here you go, jsims, this person has the right idea. A perfectly reasonable assessment, I would say.

The last thing we need is yet another binned 'project' and more costly pay offs.

Rodgers is a young manager learning on the job and doesn't have the links with the club other managers have enjoyed or the experience that others might offer and there are understandable question marks over some of his decisions.

He's no more responsible however for our relative decline in squad quality over the last 4 seasons or for the fact that we haven't won the league since 1990 than Kenny was. He's not responsible for the new owners demands to cut the wage bill and their policy not to renew big contracts to older players however he may have needed their experience.

Patience is shorter than it's ever been and the price of attending the match nowadays understandably adds to this un-Liverpool trait.

Rodgers has had and will have to operate under the constraints and strict policies of the owners which means relying heavily on the youth and scouting system rather than the cheque book and he has no control over that so immediate transformations would be unlikely however experienced or whoever the manager may be.

I've got no more idea than the next man as to how things will look this time next season but under the circumstances to deny the man another season doesn't make sense.

Guest davelfc

Lets not try to hide what it is, he's the cheap option with a built in excuse. The excuse being that he's a young manager that's learning. He was also perfect for the yanks cringeworthy 'being Liverpool'

There a chance there's a decent manager in there, although I could see him being picked off by bigger clubs if that becomes apparent, much like our young players.

Full of the joys of spring I am today.

Guest davelfc
Surely the cheap option would've been to keep Kenny' date=' not pay off contracts or compensation to Swansea and avoid another squad overhaul?[/quote']

Dial a fucking quote.

Surely the cheap option would've been to keep Kenny' date=' not pay off contracts or compensation to Swansea and avoid another squad overhaul?[/quote']

Stop talking sense, same goes for your other post before this one.

Its actually fucking strange that people persevere with this 'Rodgers is the cheap option', its complete shite.

We can all accuse FSG of this or that but being tight/cheap is certainly not something you can throw at their door and as you say the compo/payoffs that got paid with the change of managers certainly wasn't the cheap option.

Can 97.22% of people be wrong?

Don't answer that Code!

At the start of something the majority vote will usually always be wrong.

Luckily for us some fortunate injuries forced Rodgers hand and our results been good since, hopefully he is brighter than the majority.

I think he is.

36 points is the best run of form from 19 games we've had since 08/09. We've scored loads, tightened up at the back, and we're beating teams without Gerrard and Suarez. Things aren't perfect, and we do need to improve on consistency and we need to bring in new players, but we've stopped the slide into oblivion, got rid of loads of shit players on massive wages, changed the structure behind the scenes of the club and we're now looking upwards again. He did well in a very difficult set of circumstances.

So that's a yes from me. The last thing we need is to have everything up in the air again.

I think it would be rather silly if Liverpool got rid of Brendan Rodgers. We don't want to become Chelsea dismissing managers left, right, and centre. Guess what? We were becoming Chelsea.

Brendan definitely needs to see out the three years of his contract. I also wouldn't be premature in offering him an extension until the end of next season. Unfortunately we cannot predict the future.

The story of our season was, we had no scouting network, so Brendan went for the ''tried and trusted'' with his major signings. However the consensus on both is still up in the air.

Joe Allen started pretty well but struggled, this mainly has to do with his shoulder injury. Fabio Borinis season was ruined by injury. However both are young. Both are extremely talented.

This leads me to January. Daniel Sturridge was scouted but technically was a no brainer. He gave us something we've not had since FT left. A player that not only plays on the shoulder of the last defender. He occupies two defenders. His recent run of 10 goals in 14 league games meant that he was the most lethal finisher in the premier league.

Daniel Sturridge was a player that wanted a chance, but was never given one. In other words, he has a point to prove. Again in other words....he's hungry. We need hungry players. What he needs to do is to keep that hunger. Brendan needs to keep him mean and nasty, and selfish and most of all..............hungry.

There is nothing wrong with a player of Daniel Sturridges' type being selfish. Bob Paisley told Ian Rush( same type of striker) to be selfish. However with that selfishness comes awareness. This is the thing he's improved on since he's arrived.

This leads me to Philippe Coutinho. How wrong I was on him? I thought it would take months to bed in. I was afraid he was going to be another Aquilani. A player that came out of Serie A and would struggle.

He's bedded in superbly. 3 goals and 7 assists says it all. He's 20 years old and he passes the ball with razor sharp accuracy. You would swear it was Jan Molby in his pomp. His pass against Fulham for Sturridges 3rd goal was out of this world. If his surname was scholes, the media would be pulling themselves off over it.

To end this post. I would like to see players of the standard of Dan Sturridge and lil Phil arrive in the summer. The squad is small, but all the players are useful. The same cannot be said of previously. We had players in the squad we couldn't rely on i.e Dossena, El Zhar etc. The squad needs to be bulked up considerably.

Departures. Well there is the obvious three. Carroll, Spearing, and Pacheco. Jamie Carragher is retiring and Danny Wilson is being released. Oussama Assaidi could be key to us getting Eriksen. He's rated at £17 million, but we could pull him for £13 million and Assaidi. Apparently Ajax want him. He was happier in Holland anyway.

Arrivals. I hate the name mentioning thing, but I usually take the Liverpool Echo as gospel. Tony Barrett is 99% correct too as is James Pearce. Liverpool apparently want that Greek defender, Tiago Llori and Kolo Toure on a free. They also want Diego Capel.

Rumour has it that there is interest in the Dutch league particularly in Rotterdam. It may not be Eriksen but it could be Kevin Strootman of PSV. Now that is the player we need in the middle of the park. He's of the Moussa Dembele ilk. A player I feel is vastly under-rated.

Mo Diame is another, but we may not be able to get the Hammers to part with him, even if it's a bargaining tool in the obvious Andy Carroll sale.

It's onwards and upwards. I feel this summer is going to be critical.

Re:Young Souness.

I agree 100%. We've got plenty of style and ''nice players''. Take out Luis Suarez and the retiring Jamie Carragher out of the squad. Who have we got who has a ''nasty streak''? Who have we got that will attempt to pick fights with the opposition?

Jonjo Shelvey is a little fire-cracker. But he's too hot-headed. If looks could kill, Martin Skrtel would kill ya. However he's way too nice.

Andy Carroll had the potential to be a nasty bastard. The problem is, he's more Emile Heskey than Didier Drogba. There is another problem, he like Phil Jones, turns like a ferry and runs like a cow.

We need added steel. We need more rough-house players with the same granite like characters like Jamie Carragher. Seb Coates is just a big softie. He needs to go out on loan and get kicked about for a season. I reckon if he's roughed up, he'll come back a real wrecking machine. He can be as nasty bastard. He's got the height and the build to be one.

A lot of it is mentality too. Phillippe Coutinho is 5ft 6, and looks like a stiff breeze would blow him over. Is he soft? Not on your life. He's a greasy fast Brazilian bulldozer. He's a little bully.

C'mon Brendan, let's get some nasty players in.

At the start of something the majority vote will usually always be wrong.

Luckily for us some fortunate injuries forced Rodgers hand and our results been good since, hopefully he is brighter than the majority.

I think he is.

Do I detect a slight thaw?

or should that be Thor?

I voted yes but I have 1 condition. Brendan needs a new tune! We have 3 months to come up something excellent. Rafa and Kenny have boss tunes, however its feels uncomfortable to sing them (well Rafa's any way) while the current custodian has none. I want him gone by August if no suitable ditty can be found.

I think it would be rather silly if Liverpool got rid of Brendan Rodgers. We don't want to become Chelsea dismissing managers left, right, and centre. Guess what? We were becoming Chelsea.

Chelsea? That would have to be Chelsea without the money then.

I voted yes.

He has done OK in my book, we have been better at beating (and beating well) the shite teams, in the main.

We lost 9 times - Chelsea and Spurs lost a similar amount of games, we are one of the top scorers, have one of the better goal differences and have scored a lot more goals than last season - and of course picked up 9 points more than the previous season.

Our form since January has been pretty decent.

That is progress

The black marks for me were the cups - he has a lesson to learn there.

The other areas where he can improve in are having a plan B, and how we defend at times (fucking about with the ball at the back has been a problem) and I still haven't seen enough of the pressing he advocates.

But overall he has shown enough to make me believe that we are making progress, he needs to have a good summer in the transfer window now, stop buying players he has worked with before and then progress again next season.

I voted yes.

He has done OK in my book, we have been better at beating (and beating well) the shite teams, in the main.

We lost 9 times - Chelsea and Spurs lost a similar amount of games, we are one of the top scorers, have one of the better goal differences and have scored a lot more goals than last season - and of course picked up 9 points more than the previous season.

Our form since January has been pretty decent.

That is progress

The black marks for me were the cups - he has a lesson to learn there.

The other areas where he can improve in are having a plan B, and how we defend at times (fucking about with the ball at the back has been a problem) and I still haven't seen enough of the pressing he advocates.

But overall he has shown enough to make me believe that we are making progress, he needs to have a good summer in the transfer window now, stop buying players he has worked with before and then progress again next season.

Re: Plan B.

I hope you're not going to suggest our ''Plan B'' should be resorting to Sam Allardyce hoof ball. There is lots of misconceptions of what a ''Plan B'' actually is.

What I actually think you mean is that there has to be a variation in the playing style. Guess what? Brendan is already using one. It's called counter attacking. In order to do you, you need the players. Brendan only signed them in January.

In other to couter attack successfully you need two things. A player that plays on the shoulder of the last defender and occupies centre-backs. We've got that now in Daniel Sturridge. The other thing we needed was someone that could provide razor sharp passing. We've got that in Philippe Coutinho.

Against Newcastle, we had the minority of posession, but we scored 6 goals. There may be occasions where we may need to forget about posession and use what posession we've got to hit and hit hard. The key is to do so consistently.

Our biggest problem was dealing with teams that put up blanket defences and hit hard on the break. How do you combat that? You line up exactly the same way.

When you gain posession, you hit harder than the opposition. You pass the ball better than the opposition. It's all about awareness. Being aware to play killer passes and having the conviction to finish.

In other words to do what Philippe Coutinho did against Fulham. However another key must be to ensure the balance between defence and attack is right. When not in posession, the defence must tighten up quickly and win the ball back in order to counter.

The Liverpool way is based on Patience, passing and posession...........not hoof-ball.

Re: Plan B.

I hope you're not going to suggest our ''Plan B'' should be resorting to Sam Allardyce hoof ball. There is lots of misconceptions of what a ''Plan B'' actually is.

What I actually think you mean is that there has to be a variation in the playing style. Guess what? Brendan is already using one. It's called counter attacking. In order to do you, you need the players. Brendan only signed them in January.

In other to couter attack successfully you need two things. A player that plays on the shoulder of the last defender and occupies centre-backs. We've got that now in Daniel Sturridge. The other thing we needed was someone that could provide razor sharp passing. We've got that in Philippe Coutinho.

Against Newcastle, we had the minority of posession, but we scored 6 goals. There may be occasions where we may need to forget about posession and use what posession we've got to hit and hit hard. The key is to do so consistently.

Our biggest problem was dealing with teams that put up blanket defences and hit hard on the break. How do you combat that? You line up exactly the same way.

When you gain posession, you hit harder than the opposition. You pass the ball better than the opposition. It's all about awareness. Being aware to play killer passes and having the conviction to finish.

In other words to do what Philippe Coutinho did against Fulham. However another key must be to ensure the balance between defence and attack is right. When not in posession, the defence must tighten up quickly and win the ball back in order to counter.

The Liverpool way is based on Patience, passing and posession...........not hoof-ball.

No it is not, what I was suggesting was pretty much what you went on to say.

If I wanted to see ale house football I would be an "Ifithadntbinfer", I am not.

No it is not, what I was suggesting was pretty much what you went on to say.

If I wanted to see ale house football I would be an "Ifithadntbinfer", I am not.

I was just making sure.

I've been on plenty of forums where the ''Plan B'' subject came up, and there was nonsense suggesting that Brendan Rodgers doesn't have a 'Plan B''.

Their suggestion was the ''Plan B'' must be using Andy Carroll. In other words..........................hoofing.