You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most dystopian town you've been to

Section_31

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoke is bad too. I went to Uni there and some of the towns were about 5 minutes away from being prehistoric. My uncle is a lecturer there now and looks down on the rest of the family because he's made the move from Stockport to the cosmopolitan and cultural centre of Stoke.

I can vouch for that too although, to be fair, I cant imagine anywhere would have looked good the day we went to escape drowning on a camping holiday in the Peak District

Incidentally, have any of our Scottish brethren or residents been to Methil in Fife?

I've heard it ain't great, but not been myself.

Indeed I have. You may have come across it in the Proclaimers song, Letter from America. Another town laid bare by the collapse of its sole industry, in Methil's case, mining

Yes, Bellshill: birthplace of Sheena Easton, and also the most violent and psychotic woman I have ever gone out with - that area is shite.

Isn't that corridor where Shanks came from though? Not all bad then, Champ

Not Shanks but Keir Hardie, the founder of the Labour Party. Shanks did come from a similar community but in Ayshire

Camborne in Cornwall.

I went to College there for a bit, remember me and a mate getting chased by a paedophile who used to hide (not very well) in a bush and wank when we played footy.

The place is just pubs on the verge of closing, a couple of pasty shops, pounds shops. Fuck me, there's a nightclub that backs onto a graveyard, I shit you not, I've witnessed girls getting fingered on graves there at 1am.

Cornwall is always treated as a bit of a joke when it comes to 'rough' places, but it's one of the poorest places in Europe, it's pretty ferel when you come in from the coastal towns. Even the coastal towns aren't great, you should visit Newquay in January.

That said, the valley towns in Wales are just as bad.

Even the coastal towns aren't great, you should visit Newquay in January.

Here's where I show my colours but you should visit Newquay in January. Still a beautiful place but with none of the cunts that inhabit the place between June and September.

Won't argue with Camborne though.

I can vouch for that too although, to be fair, I cant imagine anywhere would have looked good the day we went to escape drowning on a camping holiday in the Peak District

Indeed I have. You may have come across it in the Proclaimers song, Letter from America. Another town laid bare by the collapse of its sole industry, in Methil's case, mining

Not Shanks but Keir Hardie, the founder of the Labour Party. Shanks did come from a similar community but in Ayshire

Glenbuck was where Shanks came from,I think.

I'm sure Keir Hardie is turning in his grave if his home town is such a depressing place.

Glenbuck was where Shanks came from,I think.

I'm sure Keir Hardie is turning in his grave if his home town is such a depressing place.

It cant have been very pretty in his day but at least there was work for people

Sheerness anyone?

The only thing I know about Sheerness is the garden Derek Jarman created by the sea. Always kind of liked that bleakness of a windswept coastline. It came into my head yesterday as I battled the wind along the shoreline at Portobello. As someone said a few posts back UK holiday resorts are often best out of season; a mixed blessing for their residents I suspect

Billy Connolly references Methil Steelworks Club in his routine about "The Casual Vomit" from Billy & Albert.

I'd link to youtube if I could, but I'm at work and its blocked. So I won't.

I'd say it can be totalitarianism and MK is urban totalitarianism ha.

Remmie; Intangible? That ski slope is fucking dire (it was posted by you as a positive), I can imagine the boring twats going there to 'tune up' for the annual week in the Alps then realising it didn't prepare them at all, still the Audi looks good with the ski racks on. The place has zero character, there's nothing organic about it, it's sterile and it is soulless. Kill me now if I had to live there.

Something both Runcorn and Milton Keynes have in common then.

Every town should have one.

The only thing I know about Sheerness is the garden Derek Jarman created by the sea. Always kind of liked that bleakness of a windswept coastline. It came into my head yesterday as I battled the wind along the shoreline at Portobello. As someone said a few posts back UK holiday resorts are often best out of season; a mixed blessing for their residents I suspect
You're thinking of Dungeness. The only gardens like that in Sheerness are made up with bunches of Tesco flowers commemorating the place of death of some smackhead scumbag twocing. We used to have a local flock of swans until our EU Polish brethren killed them all for Christmas dinner.....................

You're thinking of Dungeness. The only gardens like that in Sheerness are made up with bunches of Tesco flowers commemorating the place of death of some smackhead scumbag twocing. We used to have a local flock of swans until our EU Polish brethren killed them all for Christmas dinner.....................

I do. Apologies all

I quite like Barrow "In fairness"

Ha ha.Well done Scooby,I am sure ther are worse places to live.

The town where the nations nuclear submarines are built..but also the birthplace of a certain captain(no longer with us sadly), of a certain team was born.

Peterhead: Nightout, 50 guys to 1 girl who tend not to be the most asthetically pleasing, this naturally results in aggravated behaviour in some of the most rancid pubs I've seen. The town itself has some enjoyable sites include a prision for sex offenders, a power station and a collapsed fisihing industry. A friend is a copper their the stories he comes out with are pretty rancid.

Though Champs previous posts about central belt towns also rings true would be difficult to beat those places in terms of shear desperation.