You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Quote or phrase of the day

Redder Lurtz

• 1 month later...

"I have divided politicians into two categories, the signposts and the weathercocks.  The signpost says this is the way to go and you don't have to follow them, but if you come back in ten years the signpost is still there.  The weathercock hasn't got an opinion til they've looked at the polls, talked to the focus groups, discussed it with the spin doctors.  I have no time for weathercocks, I'm a signpost man."

Tony Benn, signpost.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
“I’ve got a story that I’d love to do, which I’ve been working on for eight or nine years, which is the history of the CIA, which would basically be America’s foreign policy footprint.” But it’s 70 years of period-piece filming, it’s all over the world, there’s a lot of CGI. Scene I, Act I is Berlin after the war, in total wreckage. And HBO goes, ‘Listen, it was all fun when we were giving him $20 million and he was making The Wire and no one was watching, but do you take us for fools?’ "

David Simon.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"If somebody could just put me out in a pasture somewhere, in a beautiful part of Spain and say, 'Your job is just - we'll pay you a dollar a year and you could have some cheap red wine and just think of weird things for Mr. Burns to say and do, I would take that job."

Conan O'Brien.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph Waldo Emerson rightly noted that for those responsible, the act of murder "is no such ruinous thought as poets and romancers will have it; it does not unsettle him, or frighten him from his ordinary notices of trifles." And while West Baltimore is a universe or two from Emerson's nineteenth century Massachusetts hamlet, the observation is still useful. Murder often doesn't unsettle a man. In Baltimore, it usually doesn't even ruin his day.

David Simon.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

" ...the second Roosevelt gave us the ideal of the shimmering, glimmering presidency and with it the notion that complex problems could yield to charisma. This sets the country up for almost perpetual disappointment."

George Will.

I wonder where you could apply that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My quote of the month, probably the year actually, is:

Fight not with monsters, lest a monster ye become.

This ironically is the Nietzsche quote exactly one line prior to the Nietzsche quote Varoufakis keeps (mis-)using, (gaze into the abyss and the abyss gazes back) and a startlingly accurate prediction of what would happen if Syriza decided to take on the austerity monster.

One line from greatness.  Tragic.

• 1 month later...