You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Quote or phrase of the day

Redder Lurtz

• 6 months later...

The main thing is, we had to get it on the air. We didn't really refer to the penis, we called it "it"...And I'm having these erotic conversations with the censors, on the telephone. I'm going "well I need the "5 breasts" and they're saying "well I can't give you the 5 breasts, but I can give you 3 breasts" and "What about the penises?", "Well I can only give you 1 penis". And so, I'm beginning to have these sexual fantasies about the censor, who I'm conversing with every week about this kind of material.

Larry David

I arrived last night at the University of Arizona for my event with Edward Snowden and Noam Chomsky. Chomsky arrived shortly after I did and, after I greeted him, the following dialogue ensued:

Chomsky: You know, there's this interesting essay by Albert Camus, written during his first visit to the United States, in which he described his surprise at what he regarded as the poor clothing taste of Americans, particularly men's choices of ties.

Me (slightly confused): Are you sharing that anecdote because you dislike my tie?

Chomsky: Yes.

That's how you receive a fashion critique from the world's greatest public intellectual.

Glenn Greenwald.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Pyle had been silent a long while, and I had nothing more to say. Indeed I had said too much already. He looked white and beaten and ready to faint, and I thought, "What's the good? he'll always be innocent, you can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

"There are few things that are so unpardonably neglected in our country as poker. The upper class knows very little about it. Now and then you find ambassadors who have sort of a general knowledge of the game, but the ignorance of the people is fearful. Why, I have known clergymen, good men, kind-hearted, liberal, sincere, and all that, who did not know the meaning of a "flush". It is enough to make one ashamed of the species." 

• 1 month later...

Fuck normal. Fuck normal. There is no normal. Normal’s a lie. Normal’s a lock gate, a wall, a prison. Normal is a fascistic sentiment and one that prevailed within the American experiment for far too long. Indeed today in this country we are witnessing the last retrograde and reactionary assertion for whatever normal is supposed to be... None of us are normal—Black, white, brown, Jew, Gentile, Muslim, atheist, Satanist, gay, straight, bi, transgender, whatever. The more honestly you assess all the varied allegiances, motivations, and impulses that cause human beings to get up in the morning and face the world and each other, the more you know that none of us is close to normal. Conjure even the known secrets of yourself, your family, your friends, your neighbors and realize how ridiculous the very idea of normal is. Hell, if you find anyone with political and social opinions that soothe, someone without racial or religious idiosyncrasy, someone without sexuality that veers from the strict heterogenous application of the lights off missionary position, someone with 2.1 kids and a two-car garage and un-rusted lawn furniture on the manicured patio of their split-level rancher, I will argue that nothing’s more fucking abnormal than that. All of us are at least two standard deviations from the mean. If you think you’re not, it’s probably time to reflect on the grievous possibility of an un-lived life.

- David Simon.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...