You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

So we're looking at two centre-halves in the shape of Carragher and Hyppia, a world class goalkeeper, a Mascherano and a striker happy enough to sit on the bench? Are any of these players out there? Can we go back in for Vertonghen, or is it too late? Then there's Mats Hummels, Wanyama and some other names...

I'd really like us to sign intelligent footballers this summer. Players who have good positional sense to make up for things like lack of speed. Players with a bit of meanness about them, but who aren't rabid ankle-breakers. Perhaps buy players who are better than what we are trying to replace and have experience. That would be a bonus for once, but sounds like a tall order. I don't know if any of them exist for what we're willing to pay. 15M for Allen was a bit steep in my opinion. I think we got lucky with Sturridge and possibly Coutinho considering how we usually overpay for attacking players like that. I don't know if it'll be wise to get a new goalkeeper and a centre-half for the beginning of a new season and then expect all of our new signings to gel right off the bat.

We have to fix the problems that have cost us so dearly this year, while keeping the cultural shift to a dominant, passing side. We also have limited squad depth so need to keep some of the players who we might think as underperformers but can do a job.

At the back we are weak, esp in the air at set pieces.

In midfield we lack technically good players and our work rate isn't good enough to play the pressing game Rodgers wants.

We don't have enough experience in the side, particularly up front.

So, I would start with Begovic as an excellent shot stopper who is also great on crosses and commands his area. Love Pepe but think he needs to move for his sake and ours.

Coates & Carra to leave, keep Skrtel and if we could nick Lescott off City that would mean we have 3 top centrebacks with Lescott or Agger able to fill in at left back as well. Develop Kelly & Wisdom as the back ups.

The midfield needs a reshape. I believe Suso is technically good enough to be a regular centre midfielder and him, Gerrard & Lucas with the addition of Kevin Strootman as a dynamic clever player would be a competitive engine room with Henderson in reserve.

Other buys would be Eriksen & Ince to provide work rate, skill and goals.

And then a wild card - Ricky Lambert as the new John Aldridge, an experienced scouser who could be relied upon to step in when needed, scores goals and wouldn't cost the earth.

So out would go - Reina, Carra, Coates, Shelvey, Spearing, Assaidi, Carroll.

In - Begovic, Lescott, Strootman, Ince, Eriksen & Lambert

I would keep Allen, Downing, Borini etc in the squad but send Sterling on loan.

Keepers : Begovic, Jones, youth goalie

Defence : Johnson, Agger, Lescott, Skrtel, Enrique, Wisdom, Kelly

C Midfield : Gerrard, Lucas, Suso, Strootman, Henderson, Allen

L/R Midfield : Coutinho, Eriksen, Ince, Downing

Strikers : Suarez, Sturridge, Lambert, Borini

This should be called Fantasy summer 2013 transfer thread.

I hope we hijack the Ronaldo move back to the Mancs, given that we are basically out of everything in February do people really believe we are going to be signing top draw players??

We'll be lucky to keep hold of the few we have got as it is never mind add to them.

Yeah fair comment.

Ideally I wouldn't sell any of them, but I do think we need a dominant centre back in the air and have done since Hyypia left.

From the time we knew Sami was off we should've moved heaven and earth to find someone worthy of filling his boots. Now carra is hanging them up and we still haven't addressed the departure of the first Legend.

Ridiculous

Yeah fair comment.

Ideally I wouldn't sell any of them, but I do think we need a dominant centre back in the air and have done since Hyypia left.

How about Martin Kelly?

Overall I don't think our problems can be solved in the transfer market any more. We need to nurture the plethora of talented players we got in the team.

Maybe add another striker or another winger to replace someone leaving. But that's about it imo.

Keepers : Begovic, Jones, youth goalie

Defence : Johnson, Agger, Lescott, Skrtel, Enrique, Wisdom, Kelly

C Midfield : Gerrard, Lucas, Suso, Strootman, Henderson, Allen

L/R Midfield : Coutinho, Eriksen, Ince, Downing

Strikers : Suarez, Sturridge, Lambert, Borini

I will raise you:

GK: K SCHMEICHEL, Jones

Defence: Johnson, Enrique, Wisdom, Neil Taylor/Luke Shaw, Agger, DOUGLAS (twente), PAPADOPOULOS (Schalke)

C Midfield: Gerrard, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Coady, Suso, CLASSIE, TINO COSTA

L/R attackers: Coutinho, Ibe, Assaidi, Sterling, FETFATZIDIS, SCHURRLE, SUSAETA

Forwards: Suarez, Sturridge, Sinclair, ??

Goalkeepers - Ter Stegen, Leno, Akinfeev.

Fullback - Vralsjko, Criscito.

Centreback - Zouma, Rugani, Romagnoli.

Centre Mid - Casemiro, Crisciteg, Can.

Wingers - someone from Germany or Brazil.

Striker - Ongenda, Fierro, Erick Torres, Cabalerro.

Source - My 14 year old nephew Callum.

His source - FM 2012/13

I will raise you:

GK: K SCHMEICHEL' date=' Jones

Defence: Johnson, Enrique, Wisdom, Neil Taylor/Luke Shaw, Agger, DOUGLAS (twente), PAPADOPOULOS (Schalke)

C Midfield: Gerrard, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Coady, Suso, CLASSIE, TINO COSTA

L/R attackers: Coutinho, Ibe, Assaidi, Sterling, FETFATZIDIS, SCHURRLE, SUSAETA

Forwards: Suarez, Sturridge, Sinclair, ??[/quote']

Papadopoulos would get sent off every other game he played in the premiership, Tino Costa would get bullied in every other game in the premiership and Schurrle would simply just cost way to much. I do rate them 3 tho.

I've never even heard of the others in caps, with the exception on Schmeichel.

This should be called Fantasy summer 2013 transfer thread.

I hope we hijack the Ronaldo move back to the Mancs, given that we are basically out of everything in February do people really believe we are going to be signing top draw players??

We'll be lucky to keep hold of the few we have got as it is never mind add to them.

That's the spirit!

I would go for just two absolute quality players.

Of course - nimrods with their 6 out and 6 in shite, give it a rest.

I would agree on the CB but having added Sturridge and Coutinho unless we can flog Carroll and/or Downing I think we need to sit on the attacker front.

Wanyama and a CB that is top drawer to partner Agger/Skrtel.

Suarez isn't leaving.

If we have any sense we will sell Reina. Mignolet, Vorm or Begovic would be a good replacement.

I'm struggling to think of someone who fits the bill for us at centre half. I very much doubt that we'll be lucky enough to find another Hyypia, but that's exactly what we need.

This defensive midfielder people are talking about, who is he going to replace in the team? Do you see Rodgers dropping Lucas? Otherwise there is no room for him.

I think Ince will be the "replacement" for Downing, although I don't actually see Downing leaving.

Suarez isn't leaving.

If we have any sense we will sell Reina. Mignolet, Vorm or Begovic would be a good replacement.

I'm struggling to think of someone who fits the bill for us at centre half. I very much doubt that we'll be lucky enough to find another Hyypia, but that's exactly what we need.

This defensive midfielder people are talking about, who is he going to replace in the team? Do you see Rodgers dropping Lucas? Otherwise there is no room for him.

I think Ince will be the "replacement" for Downing, although I don't actually see Downing leaving.

If he has a more effective player there, of course. He has done it at every other position - picks on form. We could use another player there and could do with offing one of the "other" type midfielders.

A player like Wanyama also can play at CB and scores goals.

Suarez isn't leaving.

If we have any sense we will sell Reina. Mignolet' date=' Vorm or Begovic would be a good replacement.

I think Ince will be the "replacement" for Downing, although I don't actually see Downing leaving.[/quote']

It's also a squad game, Lucas may be a better option in one game and a different player will be more affective in another, it's about options. At the moment we have zero options.

It's also a squad game, Lucas may be a better option in one game and a different player will be more affective in another, it's about options. At the moment we have zero options.

Lucas is an ever-present when fit though, and we also have Allen. Not that I advocate the latter in that role particularly, but it's hard for me envisage that type of player being anything like a priority for us. I could be completely wrong though to be fair.