You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Years Honours

Champ

• 7 months later...

Couldn't find anywhere to put this on the other forum but seeing as Howard Gayle has refused it for a different reason I thought it was more apt on here anyway....

Former Liverpool FC player Howard Gayle revealed he has turned down an MBE nomination.

The Toxteth -born footballer, who became LFC’s first black player in 1977, posted on his Facebook page to let fans know about his decision.

He wrote: “Most of you who are on my FB page are aware of the work that I do tackling racism and the work I do for Show Racism A Red Card.

“And for that work yesterday I was nominated for a MBE.

“Which unfortunately I had to decline the nomination for the reason that my ancestors would be turning in their graves after how empire and colonialism had enslaved them.

“This is a decision that I have had to make and there will be others who may feel different and would enjoy the attraction of being a Member of the British Empire and those 3 letters after their name, but I feel that It would be a betrayal to all of the Africans who have lost their lives , or who have suffered as a result of empire.”

His decision was praised by fans who commented on the post.

Janet Hodge wrote: “Respect you even more for refusing it and keeping to your principles. A fake award system anyway good on you.

Kathleen O’Connor said: “I am very proud that you stand by your principles, of course it is a credit to you that your work is acknowledged at all levels but I am sure that does not concern you.”

Margaret Wynne said: “Well done you for being a man of principle. Always remember where you come from and those who died for what you have.

“I truly respect you for what you have done and what you will do to tackle racism, whether in sport or everyday life. Be proud of yourself and your heritage.”

• Upvote 4

I think the nation should recognise outstanding achievement of individuals, both famous and otherwise. The issues are the Empire references in many awards and the corrupt nomination process. Both could and should be easily reformed because someone like Howard Gayle deserves recognition by the nation.

• Upvote 1

I think the nation should recognise outstanding achievement of individuals, both famous Nd otherwise. The issues are the Empire references in many awards and the corrupt nomination process. Both could and should be easily reformed because someone like Howard Gayle deserves recognition by the nation.

Is the right answer

Always amused by the way those who turn down honours are so keen to let the world know about it.

Always amused by the way Stronts makes sweeping statements that don't stand up to any scrutiny.

Some people who have turned down honours (like Howard Gayle) see fit to explain why they don't want to accept them.  Others keep schtum.  Nothing amusing about that and very little for a full-time WUM to score any snark points with.

Can I be honoured for having the shittest year since Anne frank got caught playing her drum kit?

I'd turn it down after a spit right in the old cows hand but I deserve to be there so I can at least do it. Or do I shit in my hand and .... Nah , about turn (huge fart) and a 'fuck off yer majesty 'you killed Diana.

Always amused by the way Stronts makes sweeping statements that don't stand up to any scrutiny.

Some people who have turned down honours (like Howard Gayle) see fit to explain why they don't want to accept them.  Others keep schtum.  Nothing amusing about that and very little for a full-time WUM to score any snark points with.

Not sure how it's a sweeping statement to say that it amuses me when those who turn down honours make it public. I'm just stating how I feel. I think if everyone else is allowed an opinion, I should be allowed one too.

Folk are entitled to turn it down for whatever reasons they want, I'm sure they feel that their reasoning is sound, which is all that matters. I'm just not sure why there's a need to try and publicly denigrate the honours system and, therefore, the achievements of everyone who actually accepted an honour.

• Downvote 1

Not sure how it's a sweeping statement to say that it amuses me when those who turn down honours make it public. I'm just stating how I feel. I think if everyone else is allowed an opinion, I should be allowed one too.

Folk are entitled to turn it down for whatever reasons they want, I'm sure they feel that their reasoning is sound, which is all that matters. I'm just not sure why there's a need to try and publicly denigrate the honours system and, therefore, the achievements of everyone who actually accepted an honour.

Denigrating the honours system doesn't denigrate anyone's achievements.  (*Quick check to find an example.*)  Chris Froome got an OBE this year.  In my opinion, the OBE is a piece of cack.  That doesn't diminish the achievement of repeatedly winning the Tour de France.

As you say, everyone's allowed their opinion and they should be allowed to voice it.  That includes Howard Gayle.  

Some people have chosen to stay quiet about their refusal and it's only been uncovered years later.  I would assume that others have decided not to make a big deal of it, but if anyone asks about it, would have no qualms about giving an honest answer.  Then there are those who feel they have a point to make in refusing the honours.  In Howard Gayle's case, his reasons for refusing the MBE should contribute to a long-overdue national conversation about the legacy of Empire and the persistence of racism, so making his reasons public is perfectly in keeping with the reason he was offered it in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Because the very reason they refuse , they feel the need to make it clear. "I am not ruled, I am a free man"

Why on earth is this amusing and what part of why he did this are you not sure about and need explaining?

Because it's not that hard to comprehend.