You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember when he came on for Newcastle in an FA Cup game against Everton, as soon as he was getting ready to come on all the bitters started booing him because they knew he had the Indian sign over them even though he was at the end of his career.

Both me and my brother had been out the previous night and had massive hangovers and were sitting on the couch watching it. I said to my brother "wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if he scored, the bitters will spontaneously combust because they know they cant do anything to stop it". He scored a one yard tap in to put them out and the faces in the Gwladys Street were hilarious. Me and my brother sat on the couch laughing like Beavis and Butthead for the rest of the game.

• Upvote 2

He was the greatest ever and always delivered, the 1986 FA Cup final was brilliant, they were comparing Rush and Lineker before the game on BBC but it seemed that they were trying to big up Lineker more than Rush. The camera went on Rush coming out of the tunnel with the rest of the team and he looked so focused on the game but relaxed, I just knew he was going to score and win the game for us. I think if Neville Southall had played that game he would have hung himself from the crossbar as he always seemed to get the better of him in every situation.

I think he never got the credit he deserved due to his spell with Juventus, had a few discussions with non Liverpool fans who think that he only scored soapy goals because he was playing in a great team.

Back in 1986, I won a competition to take part in a coaching session with Rushie, Paul Walsh, Peter Reid, Paul Bracewell and Big Nev at Everton's training complex. Rushie turned up in this black Porsche, and everyone went mental. One kid, jumped on his car bonnet to try and get the first autograph, and Rushie didn't look amused.

But being coached by him, will live long in my memory.

• Upvote 1

The greatest striker I have ever seen. BAR NONE.

Rushy just never ever missed.

For about 5 years Southall was probably the best goalie in Europe, but Rushy just had him in his pocket. It was just so easy to score past him...at least he always made it seem so. Always.

And he always did it in the big games too, without even breaking sweat.

Not only the greatest striker I've ever seen, not only better than Van Basten, Shearer, Papin et al, but Rushy was head and shoulders above those others.

If Rushy had have played in international tournaments and if we hadn't been banned from Europe for 5 years then his renown and his rightful recognition would be unparalelled.

Oh, and Rushy LOVES our club, he absolutely loves Liverpool.

With your indulgence, a true story :

The day of the 2001 UEFA Cup Final in Dortmund, and after an afternoon spent drinking 12% banana lager in the pub opposite the Westfallenstadion, one hour before kick off and the sun fianally decides to come out.

Pissed and tired, but buoyed with PMT ahead of my first European final we decide to head out and soak up some rays and some atmosphere.

Stood with my back to the stadium, 30 yards to my right I saw this lithe figure dressed in a sharp black suit, heading swiftly in my direction; I turned to my mate Kev The Ripper and said, "Ripper...it's The Legend !"

Anyway, the way The Ripper tells it is that he looked to his right and saw my hero Ian Rush just literally feet away from us. The Ripper then looked left, back towards me but by this time I was on my knees with my hands in the air, mid-worship mode.

I grabbed Rushy's leg and looked up at him, tears of unbridalled joy streaming down my cheeks, and I said to Rushy, "Rushy mate, over the years you've given me more pleasure than any woman ever could...and I'm no chutney ferret pal."

To which The Legend laughed, brushed my hands aside, patted me on the shoulder and warmly instructed me, "Get up you daft cunt.". He then swiftly breezed into the stadium; the familiar refrain of, "He kicks the ball, he scores a goal..." ringing in his ears.

A 5-4 victory and a UEFA Cup later, thus ended one of the greatest days in my life.

True story that.

Ian Rush : love the man. Love him

• Upvote 5

The greatest striker I have ever seen. BAR NONE.

Rushy just never ever missed.

For about 5 years Southall was probably the best goalie in Europe, but Rushy just had him in his pocket. It was just so easy to score past him...at least he always made it seem so. Always.

And he always did it in the big games too, without even breaking sweat.

Not only the greatest striker I've ever seen, not only better than Van Basten, Shearer, Papin et al, but Rushy was head and shoulders above those others.

If Rushy had have played in international tournaments and if we hadn't been banned from Europe for 5 years then his renown and his rightful recognition would be unparalelled.

Oh, and Rushy LOVES our club, he absolutely loves Liverpool.

With your indulgence, a true story :

The day of the 2001 UEFA Cup Final in Dortmund, and after an afternoon spent drinking 12% banana lager in the pub opposite the Westfallenstadion, one hour before kick off and the sun fianally decides to come out.

Pissed and tired, but buoyed with PMT ahead of my first European final we decide to head out and soak up some rays and some atmosphere.

Stood with my back to the stadium, 30 yards to my right I saw this lithe figure dressed in a sharp black suit, heading swiftly in my direction; I turned to my mate Kev The Ripper and said, "Ripper...it's The Legend !"

Anyway, the way The Ripper tells it is that he looked to his right and saw my hero Ian Rush just literally feet away from us. The Ripper then looked left, back towards me but by this time I was on my knees with my hands in the air, mid-worship mode.

I grabbed Rushy's leg and looked up at him, tears of unbridalled joy streaming down my cheeks, and I said to Rushy, "Rushy mate, over the years you've given me more pleasure than any woman ever could...and I'm no chutney ferret pal."

To which The Legend laughed, brushed my hands aside, patted me on the shoulder and warmly instructed me, "Get up you daft cunt.". He then swiftly breezed into the stadium; the familiar refrain of, "He kicks the ball, he scores a goal..." ringing in his ears.

A 5-4 victory and a UEFA Cup later, thus ended one of the greatest days in my life.

True story that.

Ian Rush : love the man. Love him

That's the best post I've read on here for fucking years!

Carvalho Diablo

Absolutey brilliant.

mrw74

-Any tips from that session or is the memory hazy now?

The one that always stuck with me was that he told us when striking the ball to hit it into the corners. He then turned and looked at Big Nev and smiled.

I was a keeper, so it helped me more than he thought.

Rush was phenomenal.

I can recall a period of time when the media would pitch him against Lineker, who to be fair, also knew where the net was, but for me, Rush was much more of a player than Lineker.

Lineker was a poacher. Rush could poach, but his movement was fantastic. He could 'find a path' to goal - where Lineker couldn't.

For me, he wasn't the best Liverpool ever had - that was Dalglish (that I ever saw), but in an all time Liverpool XI, Rush would get the nod above Fowler, Owen, Keegan, Torres, or Toshack

I remember when he was near the end of his second stint with us and he scored a beaut from outside the area, top corner.

All the commentator said was "The old touch is still with the Old Master"

Him and Suarez together, sweet baby Moses! The improvement in his finishing would be phenomenol, look what he did for Robbie.

I remember a game against the Mancs, Collymore had been getting chances against schemical but kept hitting it straight to him. Robbie comes on, first chance, dinks it over the onrushing Dane, I'm screaming at the telly, "thats how you fucking do it!". He'd learnt that from the Old Master. Why we don't employ the likes of Rush, Aldo, Macmahon, Whelan etc to teach the proper art of football to these over paid athletes I'll never know!

Not sure if anyone caught his 30 greatest goals on LFC TV last night? Defo keep your eye out for it coming on again. It was seriously good. He was talking you through them after they showed them. Talks about Southall and how he used to make the first move and thats how he always got past him. Just goes to show he had an awesome footballing brain not just an eye for goal.

Good mates with Southall too. I can remember reading after one derby they shared a lift home in silence as Rush had scored past Nev yet again, winning us the game.

I think that was after Rushie put 4 past him in the 5-0 win at Goodison. Cheeky fucker!

When I started supporting the club it was Barnes, Beardsley and Rush in their pomp.

They were great to watch, all had different skills and complimented each other perfectly.

Not sure if I'd say he was a better finisher than someone like Van Baston, but he was certainly not far behind (if at all). However his workrate and team play was unmatched when comparing him with the other great finishers at the time.

Great player and I think he is underated.

For 5 years Rushy was the best defender in Europe too !

He single handedly invented and perfected the art of harrying defenders and defending from the front.

Rushy's selflessness and workrate were just incredible.

Rushy would terrify the likes of Ratcliffe, McGrath, O'Leary et al.

The man is the greatest. A living Legend.