You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

I said this a while back on the MF, but I think this transfer window is a massive fork in the road for the future of FSG. If we get a couple decent attacking signings, and push on in the league because of it, that's something the fans can get behind; it'll be a statement that we're not here to play second fiddle.

However, if we swap Downing for Bent, with no other funds, they're up shit street. I think some of the things they've done have been very good, but if they can't or won't put money into the team at such a crucial period, there's not much point in them being here. Occasional mistakes I can handle, but pack of financial support for the manager I cannot.

Yeah, while I do think swapping Downing for Bent would be a good idea, it wouldn't be a statement of intent by any means. But then the line will be that we've strengthened a weak area of the side for nothing while offloading deadwood (and i don't anyone on here could disagree with the second part), thus using resoruces effectively and that January isn't the time to get value, which to some extent you'd still have to agree with. It's the next 2 windows really that will show us what these owners are all about.

With Suarez leading the line as effectively as he is, would it be wise to bring in a pure finisher? I'm fairly certain that someone who can come in and play to his strengths, and cover for him when he's suspended would be more wise, thus the interest in players like Walcott and Sturridge, both can play comfortably across the front 3, instead of someone like Carroll, who can only play centrally.

Ideally, we need someone that can finish, as well as create.

Although, if we were to get Huntelaar...

Downing 97% of the time contributes about as much as a dead badger would so I'd happily swap him for just about anybody who contributes more at this point.

If we did swap him for a half decent forward who can chip in with 5-10 goals before the seasons out I'd consider it good business. It could be the difference between 10th and 5th.

But its definitely a case that investments needed as Hank says, scrimping by in January wouldn't be setting a good precedent considering what happened at the end of the window.

I said this a while back on the MF, but I think this transfer window is a massive fork in the road for the future of FSG. If we get a couple decent attacking signings, and push on in the league because of it, that's something the fans can get behind; it'll be a statement that we're not here to play second fiddle.

However, if we swap Downing for Bent, with no other funds, they're up shit street. I think some of the things they've done have been very good, but if they can't or won't put money into the team at such a crucial period, there's not much point in them being here. Occasional mistakes I can handle, but pack of financial support for the manager I cannot.

The summer transfer window will be the fork in the road , we'll see where we really do stand after that window.

We'll get our striker in Jan , maybe another attacking signing to , thats not really going to tell us much if that happens .......

With Suarez leading the line as effectively as he is, would it be wise to bring in a pure finisher? I'm fairly certain that someone who can come in and play to his strengths, and cover for him when he's suspended would be more wise, thus the interest in players like Walcott and Sturridge, both can play comfortably across the front 3, instead of someone like Carroll, who can only play centrally.

Yes definatly , we need a clinical striker , its all good seeing Suarez score all the goals but it doesn't really matter who scores them , Suarez would still score plenty when not playing in the middle.

Suarez is an amazing striker but its about the team for me.

Suarez could get 15 goals playing on the left of a front 3, to buy a player like that would cost £25m.

Suarez could end up with 30 goals playing through the middle and to get someone like that would cost £35m plus. However we might be able to get someone like Huntelaar who could get 20 goals a season cheap because of the contract or Bent who might get 15 goals for Downing. That makes the team stronger than signing Sturridge and playing him wide because Sturridge is a really erratic finisher.

If we had a front 3 of Suarez, Huntelaar and Walcott (dream scenario) then got Lucas back and Enrique maintains his recent form when moved to left back then we would be in a great position for 4th place.

Not gonna happen. Rodgers already said he wants someone to play off suarez which says to me that suarez will be playing in the middle. Anyway there's no guarantees that suarez would still be effective from the left. And why would we move him when he's playing brilliantly where he is? Can't see Rodgers wanting Huntelaar at all.

Watching Marseille last night, Andre Anew would be a brilliant signing! Sadly they are top of their league and still in the Champions League so unless the financial crisis at the club means they need to sell I can't see him arriving. Bent for Downing is making the best of a shit situation, although like others have said, I wouldn't want that to be our business - if we do get a forward in like Bent in a swap with Downing then I would like to see a bit of money spent on a top class forward.

Yeah i agree, do think they were kind of put back a little after January 2011 and the following summer when we did spend shitloads and didnt move forward. Regardless we wont get far without significant investment on the player front.

Some talk on twitter of Jeffren the former Barcelona player on a loan from the Portugeese media, he is at Sporting at the moment. He seems the sort of player Brendan was linked with in the summer.

I can just imagine John & Tom talking about our marque signing he used to play for Barca he must be good.

Not gonna happen. Rodgers already said he wants someone to play off suarez which says to me that suarez will be playing in the middle. Anyway there's no guarantees that suarez would still be effective from the left. And why would we move him when he's playing brilliantly where he is? Can't see Rodgers wanting Huntelaar at all.

He's scored goals playing on the right and left for Ajax as well as playing with another striker. He's a brilliant footballer and would score goals and be effective anywhere. When I say left I don't mean like an Albert Riera stuck on the left wing I mean like Pedro for Barca or Ronaldo for Madrid.

You're right though, I can't see us having the money to buy a top striker like Huntelaar or anyone who could make moving Suarez feasible.

Just like we won't sign Walcott because we won't play him central.

Anyway, I said its what I would want us to do, not what Rodgers would and for me it's the best way to improve the team by getting a top striker and a goal scoring wideman

I'm debating this very same thing in my mind as well.

On the one hand, in previous seasons here and elsewhere, Suarez has been a very effective wide player coming in and causing havoc for the defense. On the other hand, where he's playing right now he's the best player in the league this season, and you'd hate to see that thrown away.

I think on balance I'd prefer to see a wide player who is capable of scoring 10 or so goals per season added into the mix, and then hopefully we'll have money left over for a 21-year old striker who is best played in the middle. We have a real gap between Suarez and, well, probably Sinclair or Yesil at centre forward, and if Suarez isn't fit we have absolutely nothing there this season ready to play in the first team. I know we need another wide player who can score goals, but we also need a backup option there; Downing for Bent might be a good option as well as at least we'd have someone to plug in so we don't have to play Suarez every game.

I'm not too sure about Walcott; I really like him and think he would be a very capable option out wide, but if the media reports of him demanding to play in the centre are true then I'd stay well clear. A player who doesn't want to play in the position where he could best help our team is something we should avoid.

I think Walcott is mainly pissed off at Arsenal because they don't play him.

He's started hardly any games this season and he said as much in one interview saying he believes he should be starting.

He wants to play central, but I can't see him getting that role anywhere. But he might fancy coming here alongside Suarez, for the team he supported, in a squad with a lot of English players who he should get on with and where he can play regular football.

We also are more likely to pay what he wants, given we aren't as strict as Arsenal with our wage structure and given if he came we'd be getting him for a lower fee than he is worth we could afford to give him slightly higher wages.

I think we have a chance of getting him in January. Arsenal are a selling club, Walcott is not happy and he is the type of player we need.

Rodgers talking about reinforcements in January and building in the summer sounds like we will not be doing big business now.

I reckon it will be bringing in a couple of cheapish strikers who can slot in if Suarez is suspended/injured/rested or we're chasing a game.

The talk about Rossi and Jeffren on loan sounds about right, maybe Tello back on again.

In the summer, it will be another mass exodus with Carroll, Downing and probably Cole, Henderson & Enrique, maybe even Reina all shipped out with the proceeds given to the manager plus a bit.

This scouting team had better be good if that's the case

Suarez has more than justified being the number 9 this season and long may it continue, we just need another goalscoring Striker to be our number 2 striker, apart from that what we need is other players in the squads scoring goals, the midfielders, we can have two goalscoring strikers, but other players in other players need to chip in with the goals as you can't rely on two players to win every game.

I would love to swap Downing for Bent. At this moment in time he would be ideal as he can finish and give Suarez a rest and Suarez can do just as much damage on the left or right of a front three.

I dont understand the argument that a new striker would upset Suarez. What happened to having four strikers!

Be interesting to see who we go for up front in January.

Borini will be fit. Sterling can play through the middle, he done OK against the blue shite. The lad is fearless. The 2 young lads Morgan and Yesil are maybe only a season away from the 1st team squad.

Will the club blow a load of cash on a youngish striker or would a loan signing of a Di Natalie or Klose help us to the summer window.

I would have either of them before that lazy fucker Bent on a permanent deal, regardless of their age.

If we swap Downing for Bent I'll cry. One lazy shithouse for another.

We can and should be doing better than Bent.

Who could we get who would be better than Bent to back up Suarez for the 3-5 million we'd get for Downing (after we paid off a chunk of his wages)?

I'm not a huge fan of Darren Bent, I'll admit, but Downing rarely plays anyway and if we can somehow swap him for a decent finisher to give Suarez a rest in Cup games and the like, I wouldn't be hugely opposed. A wide forward who can score goals is a much bigger priority, but assuming that we would be looking to bring in someone like that anyway, I think the idea of Bent as another addition isn't the worst in the world.