You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Thing is, I don't expect us to be winning the league, or even sitting far above our current level like West Brom or West Ham, but I can't, hand on heart, say that Rodgers is doing a good or even an average job. There's no doubt in my mind that he's getting less out of this squad than it's capable of. I'm not ruling out the possibility of things improving, just being honest about where we are.

Totally and utterly fair enough.

I'm being pretty honest about who I think is keeping him afloat.

"Negative" honesty is always less palatable for some reason though, isn't it?

Kenny would easily have finished 4th this season now that Suarez finally have starting to put the ball in the net instead of everywhere else, we would have finished 4th last season as well if he had done it then so Rodgers is clearly underperforming this season.

Simple really.

Rodgers, however, did not get a chance at spending the money Kenny did (not impying Kenny is at fault for it, because the players are for lacking bollocks).

It seems Rafa has already started with exchanges with whiskey nose. In the future if push comes to shove I want Rodgers to respond with tough words whatever crap Fergie has to say. Its one of the things I certainly miss from Rafa.

Yup, Di Matteo's arseprint still hasn't gone from the manager's seat, and already Slur is giving Rafa loads of shit. It's exactly the kind of antipathy that a United and Liverpool manager should have.

If I'm honest, it was one of the reasons for my initial misgivings about Rodgers (and Martinez, for that matter), the fact he was part of the Ferguson Love-In Club.

How many chances did Suarez miss last year?

The chances were there he just didn't take them.

Loads

He's being played in a different system, being supplied by different players in a different way. I'd say the manager is having a hand in Suarez getting more goals, he never looked this clinical in 18 months under Dalglish

Yup, Di Matteo's arseprint still hasn't gone from the manager's seat, and already Slur is giving Rafa loads of shit. It's exactly the kind of antipathy that a United and Liverpool manager should have.

If I'm honest, it was one of the reasons for my initial misgivings about Rodgers (and Martinez, for that matter), the fact he was part of the Ferguson Love-In Club.

You said it better than I did. I think Rodgers is also too stiff with the press, you need to have a little bit of fun with it, he could use with watching a few of Kenny's interactions with good ol' Vinny.

Loads

He's being played in a different system, being supplied by different players in a different way. I'd say the manager is having a hand in Suarez getting more goals, he never looked this clinical in 18 months under Dalglish

To be honest like last season after the Lucas injury it doesn't appear that he's being supplied at all.

He seems to be creating most of them himself, the difference being this year he hasn't been suspended for 8 games and he's hit a purple patch.

for me he,s tactical nous is utter shite against young boys we were left exposed in midfield because we pushed to many forward it was the 9oth mins mark get people behind the ball see it out job done instead you had gerrard bombing forward as well as one or two others by now rodgers should have found the balance between both get to a point were you say right lads see this game get win and were through.no liverpool fan should be happy with the fact!! that teams like west ham and swansea are ahead of us so many fans now just accept mid table as the way it is at the moment when in reality were doing rather shite.

I'd say that getting used to the league and Evra-gate made Suarez less clinical in his first 18 months than his natural level. He's been happier and more settled since he signed his new contract as well.

"Negative" honesty is always less palatable for some reason though, isn't it?

I'll praise him when it's due.

Do you think Kenny illicited a standard of performance from Downing, Carroll, Henderson and Coates that was equivalent to the value attached to each of their transfers?

Henderson and Downing both were part of a midfield that reached two cup finals, helped the team concede 3rd less goal in the league, created 3rd most chances and had the most posession in the final third in Europe after Barca.

I'd say its a pretty good foundation to build from and certainly not so bad they need to be bombed out of the squad.

I was probably Carrolls biggest critic last season, but he was so much fitter this summer than last and he did improve drasticly towards the end of last season so its impossible to know how he would have fared given a chance this season.

Coates is a third choice CB, adapting to a new league, country and football without getting much playing time togtehr with our best players so I find it difficult to judge him properly.

Henderson and Downing both were part of a midfield that reached two cup finals, helped the team concede 3rd less goal in the league, created 3rd most chances and had the most posession in the final third in Europe after Barca.

I'd say its a pretty good foundation to build from and certainly not so bad they need to be bombed out of the squad.

I was probably Carrolls biggest critic last season, but he was so much fitter this summer than last and he did improve drasticly towards the end of last season so its impossible to know how he would have fared given a chance this season.

Coates is a third choice CB, adapting to a new league, country and football without getting much playing time togtehr with our best players so I find it difficult to judge him properly.

Yeah, I know what the team as a whole achieved but what about the individual performances of Downing and Henderson, up to the standard expected? We spent more on Henderson than we got for Meireles.

Also, with relation to the comment in your neg, why if Suarez got more chances of better quality last season do you think he wasn't converting anywhere near as many as he has done this season?

How is code still on this site, seriously? I've never seen a bigger WUM in my life. He adds literally no value to any discussion with his myopic, retarded hordes of bullshit.

There isn't even a discussion. You would have to be a fucking moron if you think the signings of either Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam were good...nay, decent, in any measure of the word.

Kenny got sacked for a criminally destructive performance in the transfer market. I think he is a great coach however (despite some questionable decisions last year), and the Suarez saga definitely didn't help. The truth is, though, I wouldn't let him/DC near a penny of a transfer fund again and rightly so. If he was to stay on it should have been under a new technical director.

The squad Rodgers has inherited is fucking shite. Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt - three senior players - all left and werent replaced, and he could do nothing about it, which compounded matters. However, he hasn't half contributed. Allen, despite a bright start, doesnt look a shade of a £15m player (although I think he will come good) and I have no clue whatsoever why he bought Borini.

Its fucking hilarious how those with a palpable hatred towards our manager were the ones accusing others of being 'fickle', sky generation supporters, etc last year. BBB, Code, etc. So predictable.

Brendan has made some mistakes but by god, if there was ever a liverpool manager with his hands tied behind his back and his cock tied to his ears, its him. Give him a fucking chance. I can't believe I've just seen somebody telling him to "shut his fucking mouth" for saying the quality of the squad isn't good enough. Disgusting.

Yeah, I know what the team as a whole achieved but what about the individual performances of Downing and Henderson, up to the standard expected? We spent more on Henderson than we got for Meireles.

Also, with relation to the comment in your neg, why if Suarez got more chances of better quality last season do you think he wasn't converting anywhere near as many as he has done this season?

Sorry but this issue brings out the worst in me, I'm just pissed of having to defend last season from all sort of stupid accusations.

When it comes to Suarez he started out really well last season as well and had scored 4 PL goals in 6 starts before the game against the mancs.

He did not get suspended straight away, but I think its fair to say it affected him, in the last 7 games of the season he scored 5 goals though and he has continued with that form and even better this season.

For the other ones, well I expected a bit more from Downing but apart from that both Adam and Henderson delievered about on par.

Our top 4 players with key passes pr game were

1.Suarez: 2,1 pr game - 64 in total

2.Adam: 1,9 pr game - 53 in total

3.Gerrard: 1,6 pr game - 29 in total

4.Downing: 1,5 pr game - 55 in total

We sold Adam and Downing never really play so who knows what could have happened if they still got their opportunities this season.

The season before it looked like this by the way with key passes

1.Gerrard: 2,5 - 53

2. Meireles: 2,0 - 66

3. Suarez: 1,9 - 25

4. Kuyt: 1,7 - 56

and this season like this

1.Suarez: 2,9 - 35

2.Gerrard: 2,5 - 30

3.Sterling: 2,0 - 22

4.Sahin: 1,1 - 8

• Upvote 2

Sorry but this issue brings out the worst in me, I'm just pissed of having to defend last season from all sort of stupid accusations.

When it comes to Suarez he started out really well last season as well and had scored 4 PL goals in 6 starts before the game against the mancs.

He did not get suspended straight away, but I think its fair to say it affected him, in the last 7 games of the season he scored 5 goals though and he has continued with that form and even better this season.

For the other ones, well I expected a bit more from Downing but apart from that both Adam and Henderson delievered about on par.

Our top 4 players with key passes pr game were

1.Suarez: 2,1 pr game - 64 in total

2.Adam: 1,9 pr game - 53 in total

3.Gerrard: 1,6 pr game - 29 in total

4.Downing: 1,5 pr game - 55 in total

We sold Adam and Downing never really play so who knows what could have happened if they still got their opportunities this season.

The season before it looked like this by the way with key passes

1.Gerrard: 2,5 - 53

2. Meireles: 2,0 - 66

3. Suarez: 1,9 - 25

4. Kuyt: 1,7 - 56

and this season like this

1.Suarez: 2,9 - 35

2.Gerrard: 2,5 - 30

3.Sterling: 2,0 - 22

4.Sahin: 1,1 - 8

Yeah you're obviously right about the impact of the Evra thing on Suarez, that would effect anyone.

I think last season we also got a little stuck between getting the best out of Carroll through Downing and Henderson providing crosses and using Carrolls physical ability and getting the best out of Suarez and I also think that effected Suarez form.

Last season the service was a little different when they played together.

This season I think Rodgers (through necessity) has done something clever by making it all about Suarez. Suarez is now the main man, no Carroll playing so he doesn't have to work off someone else.

The service is always either into his feet or in behind for him and by making Suarez more responsible I think it's helped him mentally become more clinical.

Who knows, if Kenny was here one more season and Carroll stayed maybe they could have clicked and we could have got the best out of both. We'll never know