You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Epic matches of yesteryear

Was a fucking terrible game but this brings back such brilliant memories.

It was a scorching hot day and me Mam was sat in the garden as she didn’t want to be in the front room with me, my ol fella and brother watching the game.

When Whelan equalised my brother went to run out into the garden to tell Mum, but the last time she’d come into get a drink she closed the patio doors because she didn’t went to hear us shouting at the telly.

Joe ran straight into the patio doors as fucking fast as he could, broke his nose and smashed his face up a treat!

He still sports the scars today.

I know someone who played in that Forest game.  Hopefully one day I'll bump into him and get the chance to ask him what it was like to be on the receiving end of that.  Forest were a real thorn in our side at that time, but that night separated the boys from the men.

How good was Torres. I think I still love him, but also hate him in equal measure. Like the bird you loved who was a horror to you at the end who always has a special place in your heart, but you know she's a cunt and you were better off without her.

Also, saw a vid on YouTube where we beat Leeds 5-4 at elland road in 91. No recollection of that whatsoever.

I know we lost the replay but fuck me this was a belter and the atmosphere was mental...really fucking mental.

Paul Walsh got us a draw at the death in extra time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=326s&v=RvdlXpjtxDA

Was at that match in the Upper Gwladys think it was the 1st time that the Semis had gone to extra time if my memory serves me right

Italy 3-2 Brazil from 1982. Rossi hat-trick and a sublime goal from Socrates. That Brazil side should have won that tournament but they were defensively suspect. Going forward though, just about every goal they scored was a contender for goal of the tournament (for me, that accolade goes to Eder for his volley against the Russians).

That Eder goal:

• Upvote 2

Italy 3-2 Brazil from 1982. Rossi hat-trick and a sublime goal from Socrates. That Brazil side should have won that tournament but they were defensively suspect. Going forward though, just about every goal they scored was a contender for goal of the tournament (for me, that accolade goes to Eder for his volley against the Russians).

That Eder goal:

Remember that like it was yesterday.  Fuck Paolo Rossi anyway

I know we lost the replay but fuck me this was a belter and the atmosphere was mental...really fucking mental.

Paul Walsh got us a draw at the death in extra time.

I listened to this live via the late, great Peter Jones on the BBC World Service.

I remember dancing around the radio in the living room, when Jones (or it might have been his co-commentator, can't exactly recall) described Walsh bundling it over the line.

And seeing the highlights the next day, I remember being slightly disappointed that Rushie's towering header hadn't gone in of its own accord - for his elusive first goal against United.

Was a cracker.  

It was on about 3am here, and I remember going to school after watching both semis, fucking tired.

We had the great Jimmy Magee commentating on it (by phone) for RTE in Ireland that night.  He came out with the classic line 'And here comes Horst Hrubesch, the man they call the monster' as he was walking up to take the deciding penalty for the West Germans. Incredible scenes

• Upvote 1

We had the great Jimmy Magee commentating on it (by phone) for RTE in Ireland that night.  He came out with the classic line 'And here comes Horst Hrubesch, the man they call the monster' as he was walking up to take the deciding penalty for the West Germans. Incredible scenes

I was rooting for the French.  

Pimply romantic catholic virgin that I was.  Come to think of it, probably still am.