You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark David Chapman, aka John Lennons Killer

Dougie Do'ins

Mark Chapman is due another parole hearing soon. Some sources in America think it could be as early as this Tuesday. He was sentenced to anything between twenty years to life for the crime and he's served just over thirty years. This will be his seventh parole hearing. The last was in in September 2010.

I was thirteen when this happened and thinking back, this was probably the first major worldwide event I can remember happening outside of sport. I can vividly remember the commotion going on as the news broke. I can remember going to the event outside ST Georges Hall. TBH, although from Liverpool I was to young to really understood much about Lennon or the influence the Beatles had on peoples lives.

Anyway, Chapman has not long been transferred from one maximum security prison in New York to another maximum security prison near by.

Just be interested to hear other peoples recollections of this as it was one of those 'where were you moments'. Does anyone think he'll ever be released ?

200px-Markchapmanmugshot.jpgChapman+2003.JPG

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have been about the same age... and remember hearing it on the radio just before heading off to school.

To be honest, John Lennon wasn't really on my radar at that age, it was much more a case of 'one of the Beatles has been shot dead'.

Like you, I think it was the first real major 'event' I can recall.

I've stood at the Dakota building where he was shot, and it just emphasises the fragility of life. Here today, then gone tomorrow.

I'll probably get a load of hassle for this - but I'm not sure Lennon would reached the level of esteem he has had it not been for his early death. Still, it's a shame Chapman never let us find out.

Think you and I are about the same age Dougie. I remember my sister running into my mum's room and telling her while I was getting ready for school. Deffo one of the classic 'where were you' moments.

I don't know enough about him and his current mental condition to comment on whether he'll get out but it shouldn't be any more emotive than if he'd shot someone anonymous. Not sure how the parole hearing will view it though and if he does ever get out he'll need to disappear sharpish for his own health. Personally I hope he says inside but you can't manipulate the law based on the adoration the public held for Lennon.

I'm not sure Lennon would reached the level of esteem he has had it not been for his early death.

Utter claptrap.

Guest ShoePiss

Don't remember this happening, just a bit too young at the time. I doubt he'll get parole this time, it hasn't been that long since the last one so I doubt he's suddenly become safe to re-introduce into society.

Deceased or still alive he would be a legend.

I'd have been about the same age... and remember hearing it on the radio just before heading off to school.

To be honest, John Lennon wasn't really on my radar at that age, it was much more a case of 'one of the Beatles has been shot dead'.

Like you, I think it was the first real major 'event' I can recall.

I've stood at the Dakota building where he was shot, and it just emphasises the fragility of life. Here today, then gone tomorrow.

I'll probably get a load of hassle for this - but I'm not sure Lennon would reached the level of esteem he has had it not been for his early death. Still, it's a shame Chapman never let us find out.

On a Liverpool forum? Probably, yea. At least you saw it coming.

I was 10, but I don't remember it.

I don't really see the point of parole hearings for the likes of him and Bamber. If the authorities have got no intention of ever letting them out then just say. If not, then 30 years is more than enough time for the crime and the looney bin a better place.

For the record, I'd have hung Bamber, Huntley, Brady and Hindley.

I was 10, but I don't remember it.

I don't really see the point of parole hearings for the likes of him and Bamber. If the authorities have got no intention of ever letting them out then just say. If not, then 30 years is more than enough time for the crime and the looney bin a better place.

For the record, I'd have hung Bamber, Huntley, Brady and Hindley.

Because it's the law that parole hearings take place for everyone, not just those who you feel comfortable with. People have shed blood for such rights and you can't twist the law to suit who you like and what you don't.

Your last line suggests that you don't really 'get' the law or the concept of human rights. I assume you'd have hanged Stefan Kiszko too.

I don't believe in second chances for murderers. I don't believe in the death penalty so keep him locked up. He was a mentalist anyway chapman, believing in the little people in the walls and under the floorboards and he was the emperor of these little people. He loved Lennon but then believed he was a hypocrite living a lavish lifestyle but preaching something else. Lennons death really is an example of how precious and fragile life is, he really is iconic I love the guy even though yeah he was a hypocrite and a fairly nasty person, but then the fame he had, an ego would be a hard thing to keep down.

Think you and I are about the same age Dougie. I remember my sister running into my mum's room and telling her while I was getting ready for school. Deffo one of the classic 'where were you' moments.

I don't know enough about him and his current mental condition to comment on whether he'll get out but it shouldn't be any more emotive than if he'd shot someone anonymous. Not sure how the parole hearing will view it though and if he does ever get out he'll need to disappear sharpish for his own health. Personally I hope he says inside but you can't manipulate the law based on the adoration the public held for Lennon.

Utter claptrap.

A bit harsh Lurtz.

Death at a young age rally does help record sales and Elvis has been helped too.

How successful was Lennon as a soloist before his death?

I remember Lennon but also remember Elvis a couple of years before.

A bit harsh Lurtz.

Death at a young age rally does help record sales and Elvis has been helped too.

How successful was Lennon as a soloist before his death?

I remember Lennon but also remember Elvis a couple of years before.

It certainly helps, if not only for the reason it stopped Lennon producing shit in later years that McCartney did.

Lennon was a massive solo success before his death. Shaved Fish is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest albums of all time. He'd just released Double Fantasy before he died - Watching the Wheels, Starting Over etc.

Lennon was a massive solo success before his death. Shaved Fish is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest albums of all time. He'd just released Double Fantasy before he died - Watching the Wheels, Starting Over etc.

So massive, that I'd say that at least 50% of people on this forum will enver have even heard of those albums / songs, let alone listened to them!

I have no idea if he would have gone onto become a legend or a leg end but the fact he was murdered, means he was never given the chance to find out either, and that for me, under the circumstances of the murder, means no Parole! EVER

Not really the point though, Lurtz. He'd have had 30 years to take the shine off himself. He'd have had 30 years to be a cunt to his kids or be a massive hypocrite about something. He'd have had plenty of time to do a McDonalds advert.

You don't know. People who die at the peak of their legend stay that way in the mind. people who grow old rarely do. It's far from claptrap.

"Shaved Fish" is a compliation, does that actually count? (thinks of Partridge's "best of the Beatles" quote)

"Double fantasy" however, is a sickly sweet, abomination of a record. It's hard to believe in 10 years Lennon went from "Gimme Some Truth" to "Woman". There is nothing to recommend to anyone about "Double Fantasy" - it's dreadful. "Plastic Ono Band" however is one of the greatest records ever made. Hard to believe it was the same person, frankly.

Not really the point though, Lurtz. He'd have had 30 years to take the shine off himself. He'd have had 30 years to be a cunt to his kids or be a massive hypocrite about something. He'd have had plenty of time to do a McDonalds advert.

You don't know. People who die at the peak of their legend stay that way in the mind. people who grow old rarely do. It's far from claptrap.

Of course he would but he could also have gone on to lead a cultural revolution. It's all subjective conjecture though and we'll never know. But to suggest that he would never have achieved the recognition he has done because he died early is at best conjecture and at worst nonsense.

Of course he would but he could also have gone on to lead a cultural revolution. It's all subjective conjecture though and we'll never know. But to suggest that he would never have achieved the recognition he has done because he died early is at best conjecture and at worst nonsense.

Esteem, not recognition.

It's not nonsense or claptrap; it's a pretty valid opinion that most people would accept about legends that die young. Just one you don't agree with.

Esteem, not recognition.

It's not nonsense or claptrap; it's a pretty valid opinion that most people would accept about legends that die young. Just one you don't agree with.

To be fair he wasn't even all that young. Compare him with Buddy Holly, James Dean or other icons. He was 40 when he died and had a huge career behind him. He'd also received an MBE by the end of the 60's and as the founding creative member of one of the greatest bands in the history of music I fail to see either how he'd not be held in the esteem he is or that there's much of a connection between Lennon and 'legends that have died young.'