You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

That is fair, but Mikel, Mereiless and Bertrand are not that better than ours, United have Scholes, Carrick, Arsenal Diaby and Arteta, so you can't be that negative about our prospects.

I personally think Allen is going to be an absolute star, if Sahin is as good as is said then Lucas, Allen, Gerrard and Sahin would take some beating.

Our central midfield looks really strong now, I agree, but I feel we have used most of this summer to strengthen an area we were already strong in, or quite strong in comparison with other areas of our team. £20m spent on central midfield where we already had Lucas, Gerrard, Adam, Shelvey and Henderson. I know people have their negative opinions on all 5 of them but I do not think it was an area which we desperately needed improvement on. Not as much as we needed a new striker or two wingers anyway.

In our wide areas where we got rid of Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi we've spent around £12m on Borini and Assaidi when I think we still need a little more in that area, and up front.

Although I am happy with both of the signings quality wise (Sahin + Allen) looking back at our summer and how our squad is panning out going into the season I can't help but feel that we've been making some transfers just for the sake of making transfers.

Our central midfield looks really strong now, I agree, but I feel we have used most of this summer to strengthen an area we were already strong in, or quite strong in comparison with other areas of our team. £20m spent on central midfield where we already had Lucas, Gerrard, Adam, Shelvey and Henderson. I know people have their negative opinions on all 5 of them but I do not think it was an area which we desperately needed improvement on. Not as much as we needed a new striker or two wingers anyway.

In our wide areas where we got rid of Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi we've spent around £12m on Borini and Assaidi when I think we still need a little more in that area, and up front.

Although I am happy with both of the signings quality wise (Sahin + Allen) looking back at our summer and how our squad is panning out going into the season I can't help but feel that we've been making some transfers just for the sake of making transfers.

I disagree with regards the strength of last year's midfield. I felt it cost us quite a few games, particularly those games like QPR, Wigan etc where we conceded control.

If we are too play a possession based football then our midfield needs to be so much better, otherwise you end up adding to the forwards but not making the best use of them because your midfield is not good enough.

You could see the difference on Thursday, the minute that Allen came on suddenly the team gained control! Henderson and Shelvey at this moment don't warrant a first team place on a consistent basis, that isn't to say they won't improve because I think they will. We do need another forward, and I think we need to be cunts with those players who won't leave. I think Borini will be a good player, but I have no idea what Assadi will bring.

I disagree with regards the strength of last year's midfield. I felt it cost us quite a few games, particularly those games like QPR, Wigan etc where we conceded control.

If we are too play a possession based football then our midfield needs to be so much better, otherwise you end up adding to the forwards but not making the best use of them because your midfield is not good enough.

You could see the difference on Thursday, the minute that Allen came on suddenly the team gained control! Henderson and Shelvey at this moment don't warrant a first team place on a consistent basis, that isn't to say they won't improve because I think they will. We do need another forward, and I think we need to be cunts with those players who won't leave. I think Borini will be a good player, but I have no idea what Assadi will bring.

If you haven't got strength in depth your fucked.

We are bottom of the league, we are bottom of the league.

I know we shouldn't take notice, but you just know the rest of the football world will use this as yet more shit to throw at us! I remember the days when there wasn't sight of a league table published until after at least 5 games, now it changes after each goal FFS!

File todays programme under another shit weekend.

I know we shouldn't take notice, but you just know the rest of the football world will use this as yet more shit to throw at us!

It doesn't help that our own lot keep on moaning about it on Twitter or somewhere else. There is a sense of negativity around the club that needs to stop right now.

Now on to either Juve v Parma or Ajax v NAC Breda. I think I'm going with Ajax as they are generally more fun to watch and I need that after the dire Chelsea v Newcastle.

Edit: Just realised I can see both.

I think they can. They have top players and a great squad' date=' the only thing I would worry about for them is the refereeing bias doesn't always go their way.[/quote']

Tbh the only reason I never considered them genuine title challengers was the manager. They've started well though. I thought they'd slip up today but Newcastle wasn't in the game at all.

The red mancs look very dodgy but you've just got to consider them title challengers.

Guest San Don
9 Points behind Chelsea.......Oh well

Before the old we've got games in hand is mentioned we have to win them and we would rather have the scores on the doors.

They have spent what £60+m this window? I dont think we can compete with a team that's just spent that on top of recent spending.

Although we should always aim for the top, right now, the likes of newcastle, the shite and spurs are the teams we are and need to be competing with.

9 Points behind Chelsea.......Oh well

Before the old we've got games in hand is mentioned we have to win them and we would rather have the scores on the doors.

Yep. Season over - nothing to play for. You may as well stop posting, dickie, and we'll see you next summer.

Happy Christmas.

Newcastle look pretty ordinary to me when neither Ba nor Cisse gets a "one in a hundred" strike, and they had enough of those for a whole career last season. Pardew back to his Southampton form and Wigan's result makes Southampton look like everyone will target three points there.

The 'Southampton form' that won them a trophy and just missed out on the play offs with a 10 point deduction in the year he was there ?

His sacking was nothing to do with onfield matters , the vast majority of Saints fans were peeved about him getting sacked as he had clearly picked them up and had the heading in the right direction at last.

Never understood this myth about Pardew , whatever type of person he may or may not be shouldn't hide the evidence that hes a good manager and done a good job pretty much wherever hes been.