You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer of 2009.

Code

Now you are lying and making things up again Lewis, please stop, the ladies dont like a liar.

I dont think I have ever said anything about Hamann in reference to Istanbul, so again take my advice and stop lying.

04/05: Carling Cup final, Champions League final win

05/06: FA Cup final win

06/07: Champions League final

07/08: Fuck all

08/09: Fuck all

09/10: Fuck all

I could do the numbers regarding players, but hopefully you get the drift.

Facts eh?

Winning the FA Cup is better than finishing second?

Apart from it being another lie it could have been good.

I think I said something like I would put it on the head of the striker 9 out of 10 times, I never mentioned that they scored.

Young Lewis here is assuming a lot of things, I hope for his sake he keeps himself more to actual facts in school.

erm, you wouldn't. you would deliver them head though, that i'm certain of.

Yeah, winning the Carling Cup and finishing 8th is better than finishing second.

Oh wait, no it isn't. Unless you're fucking mentally ill.

But you are a loser though so how could one expect anything else from you.

How many times have we finished second in the league?

How many times have the mancs finished second in the league?

How many times have Arsenal finished second in the league?

You have no fuckin idea without looking it up because it basically means fuck all, second is just the first loseres place.

Whohoo I came second and won fuck all, fantastic that.

You have no fuckin idea without looking it up because it basically means fuck all, second is just the first loseres place.

So, this coming season, if you were given a choice between winning the Carling Cup and finishing 8th, and finishing second in the league, you would choose the Carling Cup and 8th?

Poor the mentally ill Code.

because finishing second would mean more money, better standard of players coming in and the fucking championsleague! plus a good platform to challenge next season for the title!!!!

if your on a wind-up then it's fucking working

because finishing second would mean more money, better standard of players coming in and the fucking championsleague! plus a good platform to challenge next season for the title!!!!

I wonder if Code is reaching the end of his tenure as TLW's pet loony. He appears to have reached a tipping point and is now reviled as much as he is laughed at and affectionately abused.

His Benitez obssession is gone beyond worrying and is now making him seem dangerously insane.

The post he made earlier about claiming that he celebrated after winning an FA cup as much as he celebrated the European Cup, and how people were "overplaying" the importance of the win in Istanbul (which Houllier's players won, and Benitez's tactics almost lost) sums up his myriad issues.

Oh you mean like in the summer of 2009 and the coming season?

And yet getting to the final of Europa League final and losing is a bigger achievement than actually winning the European Cup? Hmmm

Winning is always better than losing, unless you are a sad pathetic loser trying to build up your own failures.

Winning the school sports day, or coming second in the Olympics?

That's what it comes down to when you compare winning the FA Cup with being runner-up in the PL.

We got £9.6m in prize money for out 8th place finish, whereas United got £14.3m for finishing 2nd.

Boom, that's the wages of another top player per year right there.

Winning the FA Cup = £1.8m

Runners up = £900,000

It's small potatoes these days son. FA Cup medals or not, even they have lost their shine in recent years as top clubs blatantly don't give a fuck about it compared with the Premier League and Champions League. In the last 10 years we have seen Southampton, Millwall, West Ham, Portsmouth (x2), Cardiff, Everton and Stoke all reach the final of the FA Cup. You could argue that's the magic of the cup at it's best. Or, you could be an old cynic like me, and argue that there were times where Arsenal, United, Chelsea, and us, had bigger things on our mind on the day of a cup game which we lost.

It's a great day out, and many fans are jealous for that reason, but it's all different now. Entering the Cup Winners Cup used to be something to look forward to, now you're just lumped into the Europa League like every other twat.

With regards to actual success, Code is breaking it down to its very simplest form, and that’s actually fair enough.

Using it to make an argument about the merits of one mans term compared to another though is somewhat disingenuous as it paints only a tiny part of the picture of a person’s career. I expect Code is on a bit of a wind up in regards to that. For example it’d be easy to ask him to do the same with Shanklys career, and that would have a lot of “Fuck all’s” in it too, as would the first 7 years of Fergusons career. Would that be painting an honest overall picture? Of course not. That’s why many people are arguing, also correctly, that the “Fuck alls” can on occasion show better lead-ins to sustained and real success then 1 Cup can.

To be fair, in one way Code is absolutely right. I’d much rather win a Cup then finish 2nd because in 5 years’ time no one remembers the 2nd places. I’ll always have much fonder memories of last years League Cup win then I will of the second place in 2001/02 for example. However, I am also under no illusion that our 2008/09 team on top form would absolutely annihilate our team of the last 3 years. And that’s the other side of the coin. In 2008/09 we had a team that was ranked 1st (or at worst top 3) in Europe and had just achieved our 2nd highest points total ever and the highest points total in history not to win the title. Yes, we won nothing and so in the history of things it was another forgettable season. Code is right in regards to that. But what it said to so many fans was that we can now win titles. We’d done enough to win that title but just couldn’t get over the line. But we were the real deal.

The summer that followed put paid to that. We lost a wonderful player to Real Madrid. Had a world class striker who decided to become shite. And once we didn’t sign our Captains good mate from Aston Villa, his head dropped also. We then signed an injured player who never settled. This resulted in us being shite and finishing 7th. I would also add that contrary to some people’s assertions, not one single person that I’m aware of is saying that the summer of 2009 went well. Of course they aren’t. I’m probably Aquilanis biggest fan on here given that I had worked in Rome and saw him play many times before we were in for him and so was delighted when we signed him; but even I know it has been an atrocious signing. I’d have liked to have seen him given a better chance, but as a signing it’s been a disaster. I doubt anyone else is saying otherwise.

So what’s better? Finishing 2nd and winning nothing, or finishing 8th and winning the League Cup? Well, if you want to pick a team that you think can go on and challenge for cups in the future then there is only ever going to be one choice, and that’s the team in 2nd. Man Utd finished 2nd last year and won nothing. Who do you think players are more likely to sign for? Them, or us? But if you just look at a season one-eyed with no view of the future, then give me the cup every single time.

Finishing 2nd points to a chance of a much better future with major trophies to challenge for. Winning a cup combined with finishing 8th is a very nice present to live in, but peering into that future shows a garden more lined with weeds then roses with a much bigger clean up required before you are up for the real prizes. Up to you which you prefer.

So at current exchange rates, about £69k a week.

Well that can't be right can it?

I mean, Code said it was almost double that. Unless he's talking gross and Barrett is talking nett. In which case they're both around the same.

Or something.