You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Audiobooks

Sugar Ape

Just finished 'Magicians of The Gods' by Graham Hancock, very interesting and thought provoking book about lost civilisations.

Just started "Fingerprints of The Gods" which is the middle book of three. I decided to start at the end and work my way backwards.

Kissinger and Nixon was interesting one.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Giving this thread a boot.

Cheapskate that I am I've been looking for some free audiobooks on Spotify, but with only some limited success. I've managed to find some Poe and some Conan Doyle but I was hoping to find some books by John Irving, Irvine Welsh or Stephen King. The only King books I've come across have been in German.

I've distanced myself from dirty downloads if the last year, preferring now to stream.

Anybody else use Spotify or perhaps another app for free books ? Please don't mention iTunes though. Just. No.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Giving this thread a boot.

Cheapskate that I am I've been looking for some free audiobooks on Spotify, but with only some limited success. I've managed to find some Poe and some Conan Doyle but I was hoping to find some books by John Irving, Irvine Welsh or Stephen King. The only King books I've come across have been in German.

I've distanced myself from dirty downloads if the last year, preferring now to stream.

Anybody else use Spotify or perhaps another app for free books ? Please don't mention iTunes though. Just. No.

It’s probably best to give audiobookbay.nl a swerve, mate.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I finished Dan Carlin's The End is Always near, earlier. I thought it was pretty good. If you've listened to his podcast, it's fairly familiar territory and the tone is similar, too. It was released in October, but it's got chapters like "The end of the world as they knew it" and "pandemic prologue?" so it comes across as eerily prescient. 

One strange thing, though, is that his narration is strong but not as strong as it is on Hardcore History. Got to assume that's because the latter is written specifically to be read aloud, but I still found that curious.

• 1 month later...

Reading through the thread and just wondering if anyone has any more audiobook recommendations?  Prefer listening to non-fiction but will consider fiction, and at the moment wouldn't mind something funny, but will consider all. 

Ta. 

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

Reading through the thread and just wondering if anyone has any more audiobook recommendations?  Prefer listening to non-fiction but will consider fiction, and at the moment wouldn't mind something funny, but will consider all. 

Ta. 

Red dwarf are very funny, Chris Barrie, does the reading whilst also doing all the characters voices, he started out on Spitting Image.

The fact I think the first two novels are some of the funniest things I have ever read, obviously helps.

Infinity welcomes careful drivers & Better than Life.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Red dwarf are very funny, Chris Barrie, does the reading whilst also doing all the characters voices, he started out on Spitting Image.

The fact I think the first two novels are some of the funniest things I have ever read, obviously helps.

Infinity welcomes careful drivers & Better than Life.

I hadn't for one second considered comic fiction, I'll have a think about that one.  Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Moo said:

Ta. 

What are you interested in. 

Sport, history, music etc. 

I've got loads of WW2 stuff I can recommend if your interested. 

A few other on random nonsense. 

Stephen Fry Mythos series is good, it's a retelling of the Greek Myths

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

What are you interested in. 

Sport, history, music etc. 

I've got loads of WW2 stuff I can recommend if your interested. 

A few other on random nonsense. 

Stephen Fry Mythos series is good, it's a retelling of the Greek Myths

All of the above.  Saw Mythos, very interested.  Also any memoirs or biographies I shouldn't miss out on. 

There's Mythos and Heroes both good, as is Neil Gaiman Norse Myths. 

I'd recommend most of these except Aerosmith, are we still rolling and Nigel Slater. Waylon Jennings was OK. 

The drug lord set is good but not special. 

Don't touch the Hitler one unless you want a really deep look at him. It's long and very in depth. 

Last train to Memphis is similar, part 1 of a Elvis set, same with John Lennon. 

There's a few I've not heard yet. 

The Bill Bryson ones OK, I got bored though. The Steve Rinella was good if you've a interest in outdoors, hunting etc. 

Imbibe Well unless your really interested in cocktails don't bother. 

Nick Offerman, well its just Nick Offerman you get what you expect 

Screenshot_20200515_075748_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075806_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075835_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075844_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075900_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075912_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075919_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_075937_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_080415_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_080425_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200515_080434_com.audible.application.jpg

13 hours ago, SasaS said:

That is not an audio book. This is a radio drama adaptation of a comic book. What is the point of that?

The producer, Dirk Maggs has done loads of amazing radio dramas with full casts, music and sound effects. You should check them out, they're great. Ones to try out are Batman Knightfall, The Adventures of Saxton Blake, Dirk Gently, The Death of Superman, An American Werewolf in London and Good Omens. He also did an adaptation of the unmade script for Alien 3 with Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen that's ace.

Just now, Sut said:

The producer, Dirk Maggs has done loads of amazing radio dramas with full casts, music and sound effects. You should check them out, they're great. Ones to try out are Batman Knightfall, The Adventures of Saxton Blake, Dirk Gently, The Death of Superman, An American Werewolf in London and Good Omens. He also did an adaptation of the unmade script for Alien 3 with Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen that's ace.

In fact:

5 hours ago, Sut said:

Where would I be able to find these ?

Finished To Catch a King, earlier. It's about Charles II life on the run, after the battle of Worcester. Starts with the necessary deep background to get him there, but the focus is on his hour to hour movements while trying to evade capture. Disguises, oak trees, fake accents, priest holds - all that good shit. It's really presented as a high brow page turning thriller and it mostly works. 

I wasn't crazy about the narration, though. I didn't like the guys voice and he kept putting on accents ie French, dialects ie Yorkshire and even genders. Distracting at best.