You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just getting back in from the pics and I agree with most of your reviews (sadly).

Undoubtably, the film looks fantastic, but for an "Alien" film it is strangely devoid of any trace of suspense.

I thought the soundtrack was poor too, very John Williams and not sinister in the slightest.

Also, for a pioneer, an innovator and a visionary of the genre I feel Ridley Scott has been found out. He got lucky with Alien and with Blade Runner and his talent has long waned, 20 odd years ago.

For example :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The "black oil" / genetic fluid is lifted straight out of the X-Files.

The decapitated David plaguarises the decapitated Bishop android from Aliens.

As others have rightly pointed out, the first half hour of the film might have well been called Alien vs Predator.

For an excellent cast, Scott fails miserably to coax excellent performances from them.

Guy Pearce caked in old man's make up. Why ? Pathetic.

Definitely more questions than answers, and I'd agree with the point some other have made :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

...what exactly were the holographic Engineers running away from at the start ? Mutated Aliens presumably, but what happened to those ?

One small thing I loved though was...

...when Fassbender's David character is introduced by the spaceship's computerised voice, a definite nod to 2001's HAL...or perhaps I'm giving Scott too much credit there ?

Finally, if they do decide to make a "sequal of the prequal" I would love to see Danny Boyle direct.

I rate Boyle as one of the very best directors working today, his films look fantastic and he manages to get great performances from his casts and inject tension, suspense, clautrophobia and a breathlessness into his films rarely seen since that first Ridley Scott Alien film.

A hugely disappointing 6.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched it in 2D. Agree largely with the people giving it a 7. Judged on its own its a very enjoyable sci-fi thriller with a standout performance from Fassbender. Unfortunately its impossible not to compare it with the Alien films. It's not on a par with the first two, but is considerably better than Alien 3 and a world away from the utter dogshit that is Alien: Resurrection. Anyway, just to be different i'l give it a 7.5/10.

Finally, if they do decide to make a "sequal of the prequal" I would love to see Danny Boyle direct.

I rate Boyle as one of the very best directors working today, his films look fantastic and he manages to get great performances from his casts and inject tension, suspense, clautrophobia and a breathlessness into his films rarely seen since that first Ridley Scott Alien film.

Sunshine is a great little film.

Just getting back in from the pics and I agree with most of your reviews (sadly).

Undoubtably, the film looks fantastic, but for an "Alien" film it is strangely devoid of any trace of suspense.

I thought the soundtrack was poor too, very John Williams and not sinister in the slightest.

Also, for a pioneer, an innovator and a visionary of the genre I feel Ridley Scott has been found out. He got lucky with Alien and with Blade Runner and his talent has long waned, 20 odd years ago.

For example :

The "black oil" / genetic fluid is lifted straight out of the X-Files.

The decapitated David plaguarises the decapitated Bishop android from Aliens.

As others have rightly pointed out, the first half hour of the film might have well been called Alien vs Predator.

For an excellent cast, Scott fails miserably to coax excellent performances from them.

Guy Pearce caked in old man's make up. Why ? Pathetic.

Definitely more questions than answers, and I'd agree with the point some other have made :

...what exactly were the holographic Engineers running away from at the start ? Mutated Aliens presumably, but what happened to those ?

One small thing I loved though was...

...when Fassbender's David character is introduced by the spaceship's computerised voice, a definite nod to 2001's HAL...or perhaps I'm giving Scott too much credit there ?

A hugely disappointing 6.

Having just got back from the cinema (23:20 showing) I have a few ideas.

What the engineers were running from was the fact one of them was infected and the safety protocols had been engaged and they were all going to be trapped hence the engineer getting his head cut off

However this just creates more questions

What had humans done to piss them off so much they were on the way to wipe the planet clean. Remember the bodies they found were 2000+ years old, the written word was still in its infancy

Also

What happened to the other guy?

Could've been better could've been worse but I can see sequels here.

That Noomi has got a nice figure on her.

My two biggest problems from the film

If the engineers wanted to destroy us and this one 'army base' was put out of action 2,000 yeas ago why wouldn't they of just sent another ship or has the entire engineer race been wiped out?

A prequel is supposed to answer questions, instead they added far more questions.

Stop trying to milk a decent franchise, because you have no original ideas anymore.

2) Lead character has a fucking baby alien thing removed from her body and it is left in the life boat, why wouldn't she tell anyone? I'm pretty sure Idris Elba would of killed the thing.

Oh by the way did anyone happen to see a trailer for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I just burst out laughing in the cinema.

What's next Mahatma Gandhi Werewolf Slayer? Winston Churchill Griffin Catcher?

If the engineers wanted to destroy us and this one 'army base' was put out of action 2,000 yeas ago why wouldn't they of just sent another ship or has the entire engineer race been wiped out?

A prequel is supposed to answer questions, instead they added far more questions.

Stop trying to milk a decent franchise, because you have no original ideas anymore.

2) Lead character has a fucking baby alien thing removed from her body and it is left in the life boat, why wouldn't she tell anyone? I'm pretty sure Idris Elba would of killed the thing.

Oh by the way did anyone happen to see a trailer for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I just burst out laughing in the cinema.

Alvin stardust pedophile hunter

alvinMOS1005_228x463.jpg

I'm off to watch Prometheus in a bit.

I'll see you those questions and raise you:

Why did they leave her alone as soon as she managed to escape, Surely if they knew she was pregnant they would've tracked her down?

Why didn't any of them ask what happened to the baby? Did Idris Elba know about it and did he fuck Charlize Theron?

Have to ask again if the Geologist who got lost but somehow found his way back to the ship what the fuck happened to the guy who got the snake thing in his mouth. Surely the same fate as what happened to the Engineer at the end?

I keep waiting for another sci fi masterpiece to come along and after watching this tonight....the wait goes on. I'm not saying it was a bad film or that I didn't enjoy it but it did leave me, like many other people, a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for some some gritty realism as in the original alien but this for the most part was very run of the mill sci fi stuff. It was trying to answer questions about the original film that didn't really need answering in my opinion.

As for a sequel -

I keep reading that this is perfectly set up for a sequel - how? It would be a film about Rapace / Shaw travelling to the Engineers homeworld, in an Engineer's spaceship, with only David's head in a bag for company.

Sounds ridiculous, and that's before we take into account that her only companion was responsible for her partners death and also tried to grow an alien creature inside her.

What a load of fucking shit.

I really enjoyed it. All the people who are whining that there are too many unanswered questions....it's written by Damon Lindelof. There's your answer. Jesus, every single shot looks amazing, Fassbender, Elba and Rapace are all fantastic, there's some gore, some amazing effects and it is clearly an indirect Alien prequel. Not sure what people were expecting, other than the fact that clearly people either wanted another Alien remake and that the actual problem was that the expectations where ludicrously over the top. It's a film, and an entertaining one at that. This IMDB review sumps it up for me...

It is hard to say too much about Prometheus without spoiling it. First of all, those expecting to see the original Aliens are not seeing this movie for all the right reasons. Yes, it is part of the Alien universe and set before the first movie, but it doesn't feature those Aliens and instead tells a brand new story of merging the two worlds together.

With Ridley Scott back to directing, Prometheus used the similar setup of making researchers explore an alien world, only this time there is a longer setup and more suspense driven to events unfolding. The ship in this movie is very reminiscent of the one in Alien, although it is different in design and has some new interesting gadgets and pieces of technology we haven't seen before. There's no denying that there are things people will pick up relating to Alien, and I'm really glad they didn't tone down the violence for 12/PG-13 rated audiences. Either way, you can watch Prometheus first before the other Alien movies.

On the acting side of things, I found Michael Fassbender's Android character David to be the standout for the movie. I also liked the protagonist Noomi Rapace and the supporting cast of Logan Marshall-Green, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. All strong performances, but perhaps if there's only one small complaint I could think of, is that maybe the supporting characters didn't get enough development time. Thankfully, Scott and the team keep the movie going at a very good pace with emotional depth at the right moments.

Overall, Prometheus on first viewing was what I expected, a movie using it's original base movie Alien as a structure to produce a new story with new characters/lifeforms to lead up to other Alien story lines. It is highly likely the references will become more obvious in sequels to this, but Prometheus manages to bring a story that works as a standalone but also a prequel at the same time, which is good for all viewing audiences, and I think Scott was trying to bring the grisly/dark atmosphere movies of Alien without being too in your face, which I thought was the right direction for this movie.

As for a sequel -

I keep reading that this is perfectly set up for a sequel - how? It would be a film about Rapace / Shaw travelling to the Engineers homeworld, in an Engineer's spaceship, with only David's head in a bag for company.

Sounds ridiculous, and that's before we take into account that her only companion was responsible for her partners death and also tried to grow an alien creature inside her.

What a load of fucking shit.

True but wasn't that under orders from Guy Pearce (why not just get an old man to play that role. I know there was a teaser trailer with him without the make up but why?

Not sure what people were expecting, other than the fact that clearly people either wanted another Alien remake and that the actual problem was that the expectations where ludicrously over the top. It's a film, and an entertaining one at that.

Bit patronising. Having followed the development of this film for the best part of three years, I was over the moon about 18 months ago when this went from 'untitled Alien prequel' to 'Prometheus' and a stand alone film. I certainly didn't want a remake of Alien, or a direct prequel, and I certainly didn't want to see the traditional 'Alien'. A new film, set within the same universe, and with 'strands of Alien DNA', was fine by me, and even more so when Scott said he 'wanted to scare the shit' out of me.

I also wanted a decent plot, a good script, some cracking performances and a clear narrative, none of which we got. If having high expectations means wanting the above, then shoot me, I have high expectations. Personally I wouldn't say they were over the top demands, more essential parts of basic film-making.

As far as unanswered questions go, I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with a load of random stuff happening with no explanation.

True but wasn't that under orders from Guy Pearce (why not just get an old man to play that role. I know there was a teaser trailer with him without the make up but why?

They were booked in to film in Spain at one of the largest water tanks in Europe, apparently it was a scene set on a yacht with only Pearce and Fassbender the only actors scheduled to be there, I believe it was going to be a dream sequence. Anyway, they didn't film the scene in the end due to them coming up tight against the budget.

This scene would've featured a younger Weyland without all the piss poor make up / prosthetics.

I just thought through out the entire film there wasn't a stand out moment or scenes where I thought that's great. It plodded along slowly no surprises I felt zero tension.

At the end she absailed out the ship how did she get up there in the first place. What did David say to the alien. I thought it was fairly pants with no real explanations for anything, it's set up for a second one I suppose but that's going to have to feature the engineers very heavily or just centre entirely round repace and the android, seems fairly dull unless the ship there on is full of aliens and engineers.

Bit patronising. Having followed the development of this film for the best part of three years, I was over the moon about 18 months ago when this went from 'untitled Alien prequel' to 'Prometheus' and a stand alone film. I certainly didn't want a remake of Alien, or a direct prequel, and I certainly didn't want to see the traditional 'Alien'. A new film, set within the same universe, and with 'strands of Alien DNA', was fine by me, and even more so when Scott said he 'wanted to scare the shit' out of me.

I also wanted a decent plot, a good script, some cracking performances and a clear narrative, none of which we got. If having high expectations means wanting the above, then shoot me, I have high expectations. Personally I wouldn't say they were over the top demands, more essential parts of basic film-making.

As far as unanswered questions go, I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with a load of random stuff happening with no explanation.

So, you didn't think Fassbender was brilliant in it ?

So, you didn't think Fassbender was brilliant in it ?

Absolutely. As I said a few pages back, he was fantastic, as was Elba. I thought everybody else, Rapace and Theron included, were pretty ropey, but I think a major part of that was the piss poor script and the shocking dialogue they had to work with. Brilliant actors no doubt, but threadbare characters in this.

I get the impression fox have cut a lot of scenes to try and give it a wider appeal and scott will do a directors cut. It should never have been a 15 but I reckon fox insisted on it to put more sphincters on seats.

I certainly wasnt scared the shit out of and at no point did I jump.

I think ridley was stifled by fox but hes not gonna say noffin while hes planning on doing another two films.