You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which Striker Should We Get In January?

Guest LFD

I'd love this guy coming in from the right.

_NGvTh9EJ7Y

---------Lucas------------Adam

-----------------Gerrard---------------

---Hulk------------------------Suarez

-------------C(avani)arroll.

There's so many good players out there.

I feel dirty for being blown away by a youtube video.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Gomis kid from Lyon looks a player... saw them last night. Heard he's on a pretty good run of form at the moment... Don't know much about him before you shout me down... but does anyone watch enough French Footy to know about him, is he worth it and could we get him?

Hes shit.

Hulk is immense. We'll never sign him though. Cost too much.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I feel dirty for being blown away by a youtube video.

Yeah, I know. It's bad. That's only one match, just don't watch a 'best bits' compilation. Sticky pants will ensue.

Torres' move to Chelsea might not only be career defining, but career ending.

If he admitted he made the mistake of his life, and wanted back with us, yeah he'd get my vote. We could do a swap for Carroll. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, Carroll doesn't fit, and I can't see that changing.

Van Persie isn't half bad either.

Carroll is getting in the positions to miss them, the bar vs Swansea, boss header vs Hart for City and the effort vs Fulham

His look will change and he'll go on a run

Support him

Problem is players like Maxi are getting in a position to miss them and are not missing them. Sure we will support him, but we can't ignore the fact we a) have better options b) that he needs to earn back his place in the starting line-up.

Edited by piscinin

So when Carroll wasn't getting chances he couldn't be criticised.

Now he's getting chances and missing, he shouldn't be criticised either?

Some of the chances he's missed aren't hard chances at all. If he showed he had a decent all round game but was just unlucky with missed chances, people wouldn't be discussing him as much.

I really want him to do well, but he's shown hardly anything to make me think he'll be a key player for us.

EDIT: And he gets plenty of support at the match. That's where it matters.

You lot talking like as if we have unlimited budget to fucking sign someone in January. Fucking hell.

The most we would spend is 8mil unless we sell Carroll to some stupid Qatar club who would be able to fork out 40mil for him which is not going to happen.

How much do you guys think we have to spend and will spend in January window?

So you're telling me that AVB should play Torres even if Torres not scoring goals when he should to? What kind of waffle is that? ?

If a striker don't score goals, drop him. Simple as. He looked not interested whenever he plays. You can see it in his eyes. He'll be there until next season before he fuck off back to Spain. That's where he belong.

Torres is dead to us. There's no sentimental in football you know....thats not what i say, he said. So stop being so sentimental and find someone else who can do a proper job for us.

Did someone say this beaut came here from 6CM? Or am I just imagining it. Seem to have had a bit of an influx of mong from there lately.

Brendan?

So when Carroll wasn't getting chances he couldn't be criticised.

Now he's getting chances and missing, he shouldn't be criticised either?

Some of the chances he's missed aren't hard chances at all. If he showed he had a decent all round game but was just unlucky with missed chances, people wouldn't be discussing him as much.

I really want him to do well, but he's shown hardly anything to make me think he'll be a key player for us.

EDIT: And he gets plenty of support at the match. That's where it matters.

I'm on exactly the same page.

At the end of the day I'm not advocating getting rid of the lad. I reckon he might eventually find a way of fitting into our system.

But I think its just plain obvious we need another striker to come in and start scoring.

Its simple logic. If we don't start scoring more we arn't going to finish 4th, probably not even 5th or 6th either.

Andy's not to blame for the entire team failing to score goals, nor is he to blame for Luis missing a host of chances so far this year. But he is our number 9, our focal point, hes supposed to link the play together well and help the team score goals and score them himself.

The one thing I'll say though is he deserves more time. We've got 5 very winnable games coming up and I'm hoping the big lad can bang a few in.

There's a player in there. He knows it, Kenny knows it, even Capello knows it. He was licking his lips after his first few performances for England but was just as disappointed with what followed hence the criticism. As he would love a number 9 of that elk.

It's all in his head. He had a touch at Newcastle, he could hold the ball up at Newcastle, he could put the ball in the net at Newcastle, he could bomb past people at Newcastle.

Carroll is getting in the positions to miss them, the bar vs Swansea, boss header vs Hart for City and the effort vs Fulham

His look will change and he'll go on a run

Support him

I know what you're saying mate, but it's not as simple as this.

The simple harsh fact is he just doesn't fit in with the team and our style of play.

He's not mobile for starters.

He's pretty shit in the air considering his frame and height.

His control is pretty lame, doesn't have any vision and his link up play with Luis is non existent.

Luis is on a completely different planet to him and you can see his frustration (Luis) build up in the games they've played together.

I personally believe if Maxi has started against Fulham, we would have won by a canter.

The only thing Andy has in his favour is that he's still quite young, but why spend £35m on a player who's gonna sit on the bench for most of the time. This doesn't do us or Andy any favours. The only other option is sending him out on loan and she how he gets on. We may have to accept that some players are not cut out and don't have the mentality to make it at a big club.

I hope I'm really wrong about this.

As mad as this sounds, the only striker I'd spend big money on in January is Tevez. Would be perfect for our set up, but fuck all chance of happening.

As I've said previously, Anelka will be perfect for the short term and can allow us spend in other areas. I'd take Anelka, Shakiri and a defensive midfielder.

I know what you're saying mate, but it's not as simple as this.

The simple harsh fact is he just doesn't fit in with the team and our style of play.

He's not mobile for starters.

He's pretty shit in the air considering his frame and height.

His control is pretty lame, doesn't have any vision and his link up play with Luis is non existent.

Luis is on a completely different planet to him and you can see his frustration (Luis) build up in the games they've played together.

I personally believe if Maxi has started against Fulham, we would have won by a canter.

The only thing Andy has in his favour is that he's still quite young, but why spend £35m on a player who's gonna sit on the bench for most of the time. This doesn't do us or Andy any favours. The only other option is sending him out on loan and she how he gets on. We may have to accept that some players are not cut out and don't have the mentality to make it at a big club.

I hope I'm really wrong about this.

As mad as this sounds, the only striker I'd spend big money on in January is Tevez. Would be perfect for our set up, but fuck all chance of happening.

As I've said previously, Anelka will be perfect for the short term and can allow us spend in other areas. I'd take Anelka, Shakiri and a defensive midfielder.

Anelka cant even get a game for the chavs what good is he to us he,s past it. We need a striker to get 10+ goals for us, anelka wont

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd go for Ricky van Wolfswinkel either in January or more likely in the summer. He's quite similar to Torres albeit has the future ahead of him. Great potential and a brilliant finisher which is what we desperately need.

He only just moved clubs.

I've mostly avoided the Carroll debate, mainly because it just seems to go round and round so I'll just throw my thoughts in here as I think his situation is key to our signings over the next two windows.

I think there's a top player in there, maybe not world class but probably the level just below. It does seem it hasn't helped himself with his attitude, both to being at the club and his training but that's all speculation on my behalf from what people have said as well as his demeanour; after almost a year you'd think he start to look something like the player we bought, although I appreciate he was injured when he got here and that never helps a player to settle.

However, I don't think he's always had a fair run of games to show what he can do; being in and out of the side, even when he has grabbed a goal or shown signs of improvement, can't help either his form or his confidence. You have to wonder why he's not getting the run of games, but the King is seeing him every day in training and obviously doesn't think he's up to it for whatever reasons.

I still believe that he could be the fulcrum of a brilliant front 4, being the target man with 3 of Bellamy, Suarez, Downing, Kuyt, Maxi or Gerrard buzzing behind him, or a front 3 with two of those either side of him (Napoli's front 3 are a great example).

This brings me on to signing a striker in January, several people have hit on it but if we're going to sign one then it should be someone who compliments Suarez and Carroll, that may be a pacey poacher who offers a totally different option (I'm thinking Owen in his prime) or someone who isn't necessarily a striker but can occupy a position in a front 3/4, this would probably be my preference as I think we should persevere with Carroll for a while. Hazard or Hulk are obvious and ambitious options, either of those playing from the right would transform us. I don't see us getting either in January though, in fact I'd be surprised if we spent a lot of money in the transfer window.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You have to wonder why he's not getting the run of games, but the King is seeing him every day in training and obviously doesn't think he's up to it for whatever reasons.

I don't think there's much wondering. When he has played, he has been either poor or very poor. On the very odd occasion that he has scored, he has put in a poor performance along-side him.

I'm glad there's still people who see that he could be a top player though, I've lost that faith. Actually, I'm not sure I ever had it. I really hope that you're right and I'm wrong. That he pulls something out of the bag. I really want to see him do well, but he doesn't seem to have many of the attributes to become a top player.

I think saying he's been poor or very poor is a bit harsh.

He was good in the 1st half against Fulham last week, held the ball up well - picked the right pass more often than not, linked well with Suarez and was a threat in the air. His confidence is shot to bits, you can see it clear as day. The pressure is getting to him, and i think he get's so frustrated as the game goes on - he's trying things he wouldn't normally do - and he looks stupid when they inevitably fail. A few good games, pressure off and we'll see a different player. However - how long it could take to change that is the problem, time is a luxury we haven't got. We need results now which is why we can't afford to persist with him.

I don't think there's much wondering. When he has played, he has been either poor or very poor. On the very odd occasion that he has scored, he has put in a poor performance along-side him.

I completely understand those concerns and it worries me too, but when he has shown signs of improvement, either through grabbing a goal or putting a better performance in, he's been benched again. That doesn't help a player's confidence or performances. I'd be interested to see what the longest run of starts he's had is.

I'm glad there's still people who see that he could be a top player though, I've lost that faith. Actually, I'm not sure I ever had it. I really hope that you're right and I'm wrong. That he pulls something out of the bag. I really want to see him do well, but he doesn't seem to have many of the attributes to become a top player.

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the club and our players, which is in stark comparison to my mostly cynical and pessimistic view of the world!

I'd be interested to see what the longest run of starts he's had is.

Andrew Carroll Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

From the above link, the longest run of starts he's had is 3 games and then he's been in and out of the starting line-up or taken off a lot. I just hold out hope that if he's given 5 games he'll start to show what he's capable of. The problem is we're not in a position to carry anyone who needs to play themselves in to form at the moment.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think saying he's been poor or very poor is a bit harsh.

He was good in the 1st half against Fulham last week, held the ball up well - picked the right pass more often than not, linked well with Suarez and was a threat in the air. His confidence is shot to bits, you can see it clear as day. The pressure is getting to him, and i think he get's so frustrated as the game goes on - he's trying things he wouldn't normally do - and he looks stupid when they inevitably fail. A few good games, pressure off and we'll see a different player. However - how long it could take to change that is the problem, time is a luxury we haven't got. We need results now which is why we can't afford to persist with him.

Maybe it is a bit harsh; I'm probably judging his performances against his price and hype. But I can't remember a game where he has been anything better than average, by any standard. Most of the time he has done very little to even warrant his place in the team.

Really frustrating and disappointing, more than anything else. I take no glee from his performances. If he was banging them in, or even giving early day Crouch-like performances, I'd be plenty happy enough.