You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

It`s not that simple. Playing him in right midfield would not give him the spaces to attack that he gets coming from deep at right back. Playing him in midfield, will se him make more inward runs to create space for the fullback. It`s completely different.

Also the vulnerable defensively aspect. He can be defensively suspect. But so do any other attacking full backs of his kind. Alves at Barcelona. Playing for a team like Barcelona, that keeps hold of the ball almost 75% of any match covers up his defensively shortcomings. In the end it`s all about balance. Do you want a player to stay back and play it safe? Or do you want someone with the ability to create moments like today?

But it is that simple.

Johnson is hardly dependant on space, he's one of our best players in tight situations, one of our best in one on one's and certainly more gifted with the ball at his feet than anyone else bar Gerrard we have for that position. It might not work out, there are like people have said numerous examples of wingbacks who havent made the grade when played in midfield, Roberto Carlos for example. However, not trying it out makes less sense than actually trying it.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kelly is a better defender but Johnson can be a real threat when he attacks like he did today. I'd like to see Kelly at right back and Johnson right mid. If it fails, o.k, nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't see the problem with trying it.

I remember seeing an interview with Johnson where he said he was always a centre midfielder when he was young. Then West Ham played him at right back when he broke into their first team and then everyone assumed he was a right back.

He might be best at right back, but at times when he attacks he does remind me of Barnes with his pace, power and skill.

Mourinho, Benitez, Dalglish and LFD. One of these 4 thinks Johnson should play on the wing and not at right back. I'm prepared to trust the judgement of the other 3.

Right - I always thought GJ looked much better as a winger than a defender, but since Rafa and Kenny disagree, and considering our defensive form, well, I'm happy to admit I'm an idiot.

I was actually saying to my brother during that game, that if only we could get Glen attacking further up the pitch.

Think he's definitely worth a punt at RM if Kelly is fully fit, because he'd be far more of a threat from there than Henderson or Kuyt.

completely different attacking from a fullback position than a winger.

But do you not think Johnson could still be more effective from there than the options we have at the moment? Mainly, Kuyt and Henderson. He dribbles better than either of them, is quicker, and defensively he's better.

completely different attacking from a fullback position than a winger.

Well what boxes should a right midfielder tick for you ?

Pace, good on the ball, good one on one, workrate, track back, ability to cut inside or go wide ?

For me he ticks all the right boxes, the only thing is we havent seen him there.

Dont see the harm in trying it when we are crying out of a player of that ability in that position and the fact that we have another very good RB in Kelly.

What makes people think that Johnson wouldnt work at RM ?

Am yet to see a solid argument for it.

Well what boxes should a right midfielder tick for you ?

Pace, good on the ball, good one on one, workrate, track back, ability to cut inside or go wide ?

For me he ticks all the right boxes, the only thing is we havent seen him there.

Dont see the harm in trying it when we are crying out of a player of that ability in that position and the fact that we have another very good RB in Kelly.

What makes people think that Johnson wouldnt work at RM ?

Am yet to see a solid argument for it.

Hes a right back.

The thing is we have seen Aurelio used at left midfield, but he doesn't have the pace, power or skill Johnson has in possession or dribbling with the ball.

If we are willing to try Aurelio in that position - why don't we with Johnson?

The thing is we have seen Aurelio used at left midfield, but he doesn't have the pace, power or skill Johnson has in possession or dribbling with the ball.

If we are willing to try Aurelio in that position - why don't we with Johnson?

Kenny has never played Aurelio left mid. Why don't we play Enrique on the wing? Why don't we play Agger holding midfield?

Johnson did well at right back today. His athleticism opens up space from the deeper fullback position as he bombs forward. If he starts as a right winger I'm not sure the space will be there quite so much, but then again, he does have good feet so he might be suited for the role.

I have no problem with him staying at right back. But on the other hand, I do not see the right winger we need at the club. I suspect Johnson would offer more in the position than Henderson or Kuyt, so it might well be worth a try. I could also see Kelly overlapping Johnson on that flank too, assuming his hamstrings hold up.

Could be one to try and is a decent shout, though for the time being I'd probably keep this back four intact, as it is the most solid we have looked in a good while.

Kenny has never played Aurelio left mid.

I thought Aurelio played left mid in the league cup one game under Kenny?

I wouldn't be totally against trying Enrique at left wing, but I think with Aurelio injury prone and Robinso still very young, we need him at left back.

Lucas is doing a very good job at holding midfield, so no need to try Agger in that position.

But I am open to trying new things, history shows it can lead to pleasant surprises.

Gerrard can play lots of different positions well, maybe Johnson can as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was wondering if kenny would replace him with kelly when he was getting repeatedly destroyed by malouda 2nd half.

That was probably the most uncomfortable I've seen him defending for us but then he goes and does what he threatens every game.

The other thing is would he have had that space for the goal today if he was playing right mid/wing? and the answer is no. He would have been tucked inside creating space for the right back.

There's no doubt he could do a job at right mid and I wouldn't be against it but I think he relishes coming from a deep position with the space created for him by the right sided player pushing onto the fullback or tucked inside.

the difficult thing for GJ is getting the balance between defending and going forward and his primary role definitely suffered today but he scored an unbelievable winner so I suppose all is forgiven.