You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great day for England but really they should be one wicket down Cook was unlucky while Bell and Lyth were truly awful shots....But I'd have took this at the start of the day ......I guess I'm a glass half empty kinda guy...

Shocking decision by Clarke to not put a nervous, fragile and under pressure England batting line up into bat on an obvious bowling conditions and wicket for bowling on.

We'll only know at the end of the game but this could be a decision to rival Nasser putting Australia in at the Gabba in 2002.

Cook said he'd have batted too. The weather rolled in and juiced up the pitch a bit after the coin toss.

England still bowled very well and Australia were really poor with the bat, but there's not been any criticism of Clarke's decision, plenty about the performance though, Rogers excluded.

We should be asking for 300 at a minimum. Should be good batting tomorrow, and we've got plenty of potential runs waiting in the shed. Go in with a decent sized lead and try to skittle them again.

Gutted for Cook most of all. He looked in really good touch and could have made a big score. Freak dismissal.

• Upvote 1

Excellent day for England. Those 2 wickets at the end though leave me uneasy.  The pitch is a good one, whoever gets blue skies overhead when batting should plunder the runs.  Which makes me uneasy about capitalising on this very good day by not building a big enough lead should the sun shine when the Aussies bat again. If it remains overcast through the whole test match then just a lead of 100-125 could well be enough.  Ideally though we want to be looking towards a first innings lead of 200+.

Massive morning session ahead.....